PIGLT Lost Comm Procedures ORL

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
Flew into ORL on Monday, and we both thought this was interesting. The lost comm procedures would seem to indicate that in such an event, they want you to land at MCO, not ORL. It seems odd to direct you to a busy international airport when you are going to a smaller one...

Also, looking at the NACO charts, there is no difference between the PIGLT for MCO or ORL. On our EFB's with Jepp, the charts have the airport identifier on the top.

Attachments

• PIGLT.pdf
    228.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Interesting. I would bet that:

It's an error and should only apply to traffic on the arrival for KMCO; or
It's deliberate - if they can't talk to you they don't want to guess what you're doing - you're going to MCO, period.

Since they should know that you're going to ORL from your strip, I'm betting it's an error.

Wonder who to ask for the definitive answer? Ron will know.

Why is this the PIGLT approach and not the SIMBA approach?

I was thinking more like PIGLT -> WINNY -> POO -> EYORE - > OBOTHR

I was just looking at the fixes
Hakuna Matata

Hmm. It starts with Hakuna Matata (The Lion King), then goes to Jasmine and Jaffar (Aladdin), then there's Piglet and Tigger (Winnie the Pooh) with "RFIKI" between them (?????), and the rest I can't identify.

I bet the approaches have some others...

They completely changed the approaches and fixes at Sanford, so you better have current approach plates if going into KSFB. I'll have to compare KORL and KMCO to see what they did during this last update.

Hmm. It starts with Hakuna Matata (The Lion King), then goes to Jasmine and Jaffar (Aladdin), then there's Piglet and Tigger (Winnie the Pooh) with "RFIKI" between them (?????), and the rest I can't identify.

I bet the approaches have some others...

Rafiki - the Mandrill/Baboon also from The Lion King.

WAG - Given the relative locations of ORL and MCO and the instrument landing runways at both, they would much rather have a no-comm turbojet land straight in at MCO in than maneuver to an instrument approach in IMC to the ORL east-west runway while crossing the MCO approach-departure paths.

Last edited:
Ahhh....I miss flying out of ORL. I got my IR rating there a while back. I loved flying out of there....nice planes and even a real nice Full motion Sim for rent!

M

Back