Pictures of the Husky, finally!

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Finally!!! Ta da!!! Pictures of the ever illusive Husky!

Chip and Jim flew into the farm today for a fun afternoon. The weather was beautiful and the wind sock was limp. Another Citabria flew in to visit. A covey of Cubs buzzed us. Tom grilled hamburgers and then went flying with Chip in the Husky. Then I had a chance to fly the Husky. It's a fun airplane to fly, but not as easy to land as the Citabria. :D We did some funny bouncy thing when I landed it, but Chip remained calm and I didn't break anything. :D

Chip, I love your new Husky. Thanks for flying up today and a BIG thanks for letting me (and Tom) fly it. :)

Attachments

• Husky profile.JPG
    Husky profile.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Husky climbing out.JPG
    Husky climbing out.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Husky nose.JPG
    Husky nose.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Hamburgers at Twin Oaks.JPG
    Hamburgers at Twin Oaks.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Men eating.JPG
    Men eating.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Motley crue and the Husky.JPG
    Motley crue and the Husky.JPG
    496.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Chip looking patient.JPG
    Chip looking patient.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Citabria and the Husky.JPG
    Citabria and the Husky.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 77
Christalmighty!! How many good pictures of me did you have to go through to find those??? :hairraise: I look kinda ****ed off at you in that one photo. :dunno: I think it must have been the ugly pillow you put in my airplane!

Thanks for the great afternoon. As Jim said on the way home, "Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about." It was a lovely time and some wonderful flying.

But what's with all the short sleeves in mid November. I had to do some work out in the lake today and froze my a$$ off. I think it was around 40 F. Maybe I should move further south?

Gorgeous plane! So's 24Victor behind it. But I'm puzzled. The Husky looks spanking new.
Is it? I punched up N71MA on http://www.myairplane.com and there's a couple wild and wooly stories tied to that N number. Was that particular tail number retired and then reissued?

HR

Gorgeous plane! So's 24Victor behind it. But I'm puzzled. The Husky looks spanking new.
Is it? I punched up N71MA on http://www.myairplane.com and there's a couple wild and wooly stories tied to that N number. Was that particular tail number retired and then reissued?

HR

Not new. It's a 2005 and apparently inherited the N-number after less fortunate airplanes were finished with it.

Christalmighty!! How many good pictures of me did you have to go through to find those??? :hairraise:
A lot! You should see the other ones! :hairraise: :D These were the least unflattering. :D

I look kinda ****ed off at you in that one photo. :dunno:

And here I thought that was your 'patient look' while you were waiting for me to push all the buttons and play with all the dials and knobs and levers and get all the pillows situated. :D

I think it must have been the ugly pillow you put in my airplane!
LOL! Too bad I didn't have some really pink ones to match your key chain. ;)

Thanks for the great afternoon. As Jim said on the way home, "Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about." It was a lovely time and some wonderful flying.
:)

Not long after you left a Super D landed to deliver a few bottles of Merlot. Jeff and his friend ate the rest of the hamburgers and flew off in the moonlight.

It was a good day at the farm with friends and flying. :)

Attachments

• Super D.JPG
    Super D.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Super D at dusk.JPG
    Super D at dusk.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 27
But what's with all the short sleeves in mid November. I had to do some work out in the lake today and froze my a$$ off. I think it was around 40 F. Maybe I should move further south?
I'm reminded of the wise words spoken by Ed Guthrie....north in summer, south in winter. Or you could live in the middle and have it all. :D

Now that I've had a chance to really look at the picture of the Citabria and the Husky next to each other, I can see why you don't have to really lift the tail much on take-off or pull back hard on landing.

Thanks for the clarification. Otherwise, it would have been the most terrific restoration of a plane having mingled with undercurrent of the Great Lakes.

HR

Re: Spider ballooning

Chip, I did a search on the UFOs we saw yesterday. It's called spider ballooning. Kinda neat stuff. But, I didn't know that spiders were actually attached to the pretty stuff!

:eek:

http://www.bbsrc.ac.uk/media/pressreleases/07_03_28_spiders.html

http://www.canadianarachnology.org/newsletters/CA2003_Leech1.pdf

http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/1998/10/60.htm
Wow, I never knew spiders did that. Diana, Thanks for the post!

I do find one thing interesting... note the name of the third article's author. :)

This reminds me of Tony talking about a glider tow :) :
Facing the wind, you stand tiptoe, stretch your eight legs to their fullest and tilt your abdomen upward. Anchored to the limb by a dragline, other threads emerge from the spinnerets attached to your abdomen, and you wait for them to be drawn out by air currents. Soon, several threads from your flexible spinnerets are streaming out in long, wavy filaments behind you. As the threads are seized by the wind, tension on the dragline grows. You can barely hang on. But then something intuitively tells you when the pull on the threads is strong enough to carry you aloft, and you let go. Up and away you soar-a spiderling aeronaut.

"Oh, NOW you've done it," said Ken, reaching for his calendar to find a spare weekend to fly to Arkansas...

Just a few other photos.

This first is Diana making fun of my pink key chain.
The second is me making fun of Diana's short legs.
The last one is climb out from the farm.

Attachments

• DSC00789_small.jpg
    DSC00789_small.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00790_small.jpg
    DSC00790_small.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00779_small.jpg
    DSC00779_small.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 25
Photo 1 - me explaining to Tom how to get in the silly thing.
Photo 2 - Tom working his way into the front seat.
Photo 3 - Good bye pass over the barn on the way home.

Attachments

• DSC00774_small.jpg
    DSC00774_small.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00776_small.jpg
    DSC00776_small.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00802_small.jpg
    DSC00802_small.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 30
Is McCreery Aviation ruled by girls?

Or, do pilots there tend to lose their keys a lot?

Uh, yeah... finders, keepers!

Nice looking plane, Chip! But about that key chain...:rofl:

"Oh, NOW you've done it," said Ken, reaching for his calendar to find a spare weekend to fly to Arkansas...
Ken Ibold, if you make it to Arkansas and don't fly into a little farm in southwest Missouri while you are in this part of the country, then you are in some serious trouble!!!!!!!!! :yes:

Air bags

I'm still trying to figure out what those air bags on the harnesses do. :dunno: How big do they get? How much of an impact sets them off?

You got a pillow for the Hawker? :p
Nah, for whatever reason, larger airplanes have much more adjustable seats. They also have adjustable rudder pedals. The worst airplanes for people with short legs, at least in my limited experience, are all single-engine. :dunno:

Nah, for whatever reason, larger airplanes have much more adjustable seats. They also have adjustable rudder pedals. The worst airplanes for people with short legs, at least in my limited experience, are all single-engine. :dunno:

As one who is shorter than your average bear, I couldn't agree more.

Here ya go.

Wow, what a great airplane! Not only can you bring it to Gaston's for a good time, you can still make it back home when the weather goes to hell! :yes:

Chip, sorry we couldn't hook up last week... Hopefully I'll have more notice next time.

Most of 'em suck for us long-legged folks too... Most just make it hard to box the controls unless you put your legs in a funny position, but some are impossible. For example, when I sit in a Columbia 300, I'm looking at the front of the door frame, and in a DA20 I have to hunch down to close the canopy. :(

Back