Pickup truck loading

Other than the obvious structural issues, that's brilliant.

I saw one of the VW bugs videos where the mount was bolted through the roof and there were stiffeners underneath (or so the video said). Not sure that even doing that is smart as I have no idea what that part of the structure is rated for. I do think that if it were such a great idea with most vehicles it would be in use today.

I saw one of the VW bugs videos where the mount was bolted through the roof and there were stiffeners underneath (or so the video said). Not sure that even doing that is smart as I have no idea what that part of the structure is rated for. I do think that if it were such a great idea with most vehicles it would be in use today.

The other thing to consider is vehicle dynamics. Think about what happens from a weight transfer perspective when you nail the brakes and now you're reacting the force of a 2,000# trailer through a mount that's 4' off the ground.

The other thing to consider is vehicle dynamics. Think about what happens from a weight transfer perspective when you nail the brakes and now you're reacting the force of a 2,000# trailer through a mount that's 4' off the ground.

Heavy braking in a turn would be real fun! :D

Or rather "over loading".

My 2015 GMC Canyon is rated for about 1,350# payload. My wife and I take up almost 350# leaving around 1,000# cargo.

I need to pickup a half cu yd of gravel; weighing around 1,000# putting me at the max rating in a nearly 7 yr old pickup. The truck is in good shape. It has never been overloaded and it has new Michelin tires on it.

I only have to drive around 3 miles on flat terrain. Is this a bad idea or a nothing-burger?

A 1/2 yard of dry gravel weighs more than 1000#. Then there is the measure and moisture issue. Break the leaf springs you will be unhappy.
https://downeastermfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Cubic_Yardage_Chart-D.pdf

Is one of my pet peeves with US vehicles is trying to find a fuel efficient (not towing) vehicle that will tow a relative light load when needed. My fully loaded glider trailer weighs about 1550lbs. I have the F150 for even the Honda Odyssey is rated to two 3500lbs or more for long trips. But the vehicle I drive every day (commuting to work and the airport) is my 2002 Toyota Corolla. It gets 30mpg commuting and is rated to tow 1500lbs. Perfect for when I decide to ditch work and go flying instead. Usually I just tow the trailer about a mile from the hanger to the end of the runway. Occasionally will tow it to another airport within about 30miles from home base. Finding a replacement 30mpg+ vehicle rated to tow at least #1500lbs (#2000 would be nicer) is very challenging. Even the new Toyota Corolla's aren't rated as well as my 2002 Toyota. Some of the European Prius would be perfect.

Brian
The Ford Maverick (HEV or 2.0l) would do that easily and the HEV is rated for 40+ mpg in the city (without the trailer).

Last edited:
Hadn’t seen or researched that one, looks quite promising.
Brian
Full disclosure: I am a Ford employee, and the Maverick is my current project, any posts that I make are my personal opinion only though.

The pricing, capability, and fuel economy of this vehicle seem to be hitting some sort of sweet spot in the market at the moment. I am not a huge fan of the styling personally, but many seem to like it (and as an engineer, my opinions about styling are pretty worthless)... They seem to be sort of doing the C182 thing; not being the best at anything but doing everything reasonably well with no glaring flaws.

Edited to add: 2000 tow rating except for AWD 2.0l with max towing package that is rated at 4000 lb tow capacity.

Pretty sure the OP's Ford will have zero issues.

Here is over a ton in a Hilux. Starts at 6:30, love the cruising over bumps!!!

But to see it really loaded Gooseneck trailer loaded to 30,000lbs (Start around 2:30)

Is one of my pet peeves with US vehicles is trying to find a fuel efficient (not towing) vehicle that will tow a relative light load when needed. My fully loaded glider trailer weighs about 1550lbs. I have the F150 for even the Honda Odyssey is rated to two 3500lbs or more for long trips. But the vehicle I drive every day (commuting to work and the airport) is my 2002 Toyota Corolla. It gets 30mpg commuting and is rated to tow 1500lbs. Perfect for when I decide to ditch work and go flying instead. Usually I just tow the trailer about a mile from the hanger to the end of the runway. Occasionally will tow it to another airport within about 30miles from home base. Finding a replacement 30mpg+ vehicle rated to tow at least #1500lbs (#2000 would be nicer) is very challenging. Even the new Toyota Corolla's aren't rated as well as my 2002 Toyota. Some of the European Prius would be perfect.

Brian

My 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid is rated for a 1500 pound trailer. The gas powered ones are rated for more. And the Hybrid gets far more than 30 MPG.

Just a thought.

I hauled a full yard of gravel once in my ancient 3/4 ton pickup. The rear suspension still had an inch or two of travel left. It was fine until I exited the freeway when it surprised the hell out of me by oversteering. I was able to correct it by reducing the steering input so nothing happened. So I'd say go ahead with the job but take the corners easy until you get used to the different handling.
Loading any vehicle will change the handling characteristics. I had a load of plywood in my wife's van once and coming off the freeway I turned the wheel and went nearly straight ahead. I said to myself on that sensation, now I know why the race drivers call that a push.

And what was the experience that changed your behavior.?? :rofl::rofl:
I hopped out at the loading point and watched them do it (I had a tarp ready to cover the load). Even standing back it was a bit dusty. Subsequent trips I stayed in with the windows rolled up and until they were done and then pulled forward 50 feet or so to put the tarp on.

I hopped out at the loading point and watched them do it (I had a tarp ready to cover the load). Even standing back it was a bit dusty. Subsequent trips I stayed in with the windows rolled up and until they were done and then pulled forward 50 feet or so to put the tarp on.

Oh, just dust. I was thinking it was going to be semi liquefied mulch.. :lol:

Is there a reason the materials company can't just deliver a yard of gravel ?

Full disclosure: I am a Ford employee, and the Maverick is my current project, any posts that I make are my personal opinion only though.

The pricing, capability, and fuel economy of this vehicle seem to be hitting some sort of sweet spot in the market at the moment. I am not a huge fan of the styling personally, but many seem to like it (and as an engineer, my opinions about styling are pretty worthless)... They seem to be sort of doing the C182 thing; not being the best at anything but doing everything reasonably well with no glaring flaws.

Edited to add: 2000 tow rating except for AWD 2.0l with max towing package that is rated at 4000 lb tow capacity.

Cool, looks like a fun project. Appears manufacturers are catching on that it is great to have a economy vehicle, but they won't work for a lot of people if they can't take their motorcycle (or glider) out to play with it. And it doesn't make sense to buy an F150 to tow a 2000# trailer 5 miles twice a month and then commute a 1000 miles the rest of the month with it.

I have decided I am the C182 guy, I frequently get asked what I would choose if someone were to give me an airplane for personal use. The T182 is the answer I have settled on as the plane that would get reasonable economy, go the places I would like to go fast enough, and haul/tow the things I would like to haul and tow.

Brian

Back