Picking someone up at SJC

jollyroger

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jollyroger
Hey have any of you guys tried picking up someone in SJC using single prop. I would think it would be really cool to pick up a family member then fly them to our local airport. But I hear that they have a $40.00 ramp fee. Plus I don't know how I would get from the GA area to the Terminal

Have any of you done something like that before. What can you expect?

If they're like most larger airports, it won't be cheap. I know Mercury at Hartsfield charges $30 for a single engine that's waived for ten gallons of fuel. The landing fee for a single engine is $15. Somehow, I picture anything in California being much worse. They may provide a shuttle to the terminal but that part will likely be outside the fence. In case you don't have AOPA access, here's some contact data on the field. Good luck with the idea. I'll be curious how well it goes should you continue forward with the idea.

ACM Aviation, Inc. AOPA Credit Card: Earn Double Points Here
PHONE: 408/286-3832FAX: 408/286-1629 LOCATION: SEHOURS: 24 Hours FREQUENCY: 122.95 ARINC FREQUENCY: 129.05FUEL:Chevron Texaco - 100LLChevron Texaco - Jet-premix100LL Full Service - $5.12 (08/28/2007) Jet Full Service - $5.43 (08/28/2007) FEES: Parking Fee, Overnight Fee
Pilot services: catering, charter, computerized weather and flight planning, courtesy car/van, crew cars, GPU, internet access hi-speed, internet access wireless, oxygen, pilot lounge, refreshments (vending), rental car, rest rooms, showers.
Credit cards accepted: American Express, Avcard, Chevron, MasterCard, Multi-Service, PHH, UVair, Visa.
Web URL: http://www.acmaviation.com

Corporate Air Technology
PHONE: 408/977-0990 408/977-0990 FAX: 408/977-0724
HOURS: Closed Holidays; After hrs on request; 7:30 AM To 5:30 PM, Monday Thru Friday Pilot services: oxygen.
Repair services: airframe, all large aircraft (greater than 12,500 lb), all small aircraft (less than 12,500 lb), FAA repair station, powerplant.
Credit cards accepted: American Express, MasterCard, Visa.
Jim Lafferty Aircraft Sales, Inc. PHONE: 408/293-5352FAX: 408/293-2353 LOCATION: WE-Mail: jlaffe6216@aol.com

San Jose Jet Center AOPA Credit Card: Earn Double Points Here
PHONE: 408/297-7552 800/853-2359FAX: 408/280-5701 LOCATION: NWHOURS: 24 Hours FREQUENCY: 122.95 ARINC FREQUENCY: 129.8FUEL:Avfuel - Jet100LL Full Service - $5.12 (08/29/2007) Jet Full Service - $5.42 (08/29/2007) FEES: Parking Fee, Overnight Fee
Pilot services: catering, charter, computerized weather and flight planning, courtesy car/van, GPU, oxygen, pilot lounge, pilot supplies, refreshments (non-vending), refreshments (vending), rental car, rest rooms, showers, snooze room. Repair services: airframe, all large aircraft (greater than 12,500 lb), all small aircraft (less than 12,500 lb), FAA repair station. Credit cards accepted: American Express, MasterCard, Multi-Service, PHH, Visa.Web URL: http://www.sjjc.com E-Mail: jrutherford@sjjc.com

San Jose State University
PHONE: 408/924-3190FAX: 408/924-3198
Credit cards accepted: Credit Cards Not Accepted.
Web URL: http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/avtech
E-Mail: aviation@email.sjsu.edu

Go for it. I do believe there is a ramp fee, but it's waived with a top off. Give them a call to confirm; I've used the SJ Jet Center before and was really happy with the service. Great facility, too. There's no landing fee as far as I know.

They can probably shuttle your friends over from the terminal or give you a crew car so that you can do so yourself. SJC is a pretty easy airport, so as long as taxi clearances that consist of more than "taxi to runway 10" don't scare you, you'll have fun!

-Felix

I've picked people up at Austin, TX (AUS), and Love Field in Dallas (DAL). I just go the GA side, stop at a likeable FBO and take a courtesy car to the Terminal Baggage Pick-up area.

Pretty smooth and easy.

Call ahead to check if the Landing Fees are waived for a certain gallon purchase of gas, and make sure you can get that much. (As others said above).

I think it's cool landing with the "Big Iron"!

A co-worker wound up flying down to SJC commercial recently when there was a problem with our shuttle from OLM to HIO (screw embedded in a tire). His rental car was still on the GA side of the field and it cost him $11 for the taxi from one side to the other to get the car.

I've got friends over at ACM, but they'll still stick you with a fee unless you know them. Buy a couple of gallons and they'll wave it.

Back