Pic size

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
Don't mean to brag, but my pics are too big...for this site that is.
I try and upload pics only to have them fail as too large. Seems like around 2mb triggers the error of failure to upload.
I am running a rooted OnePlus 6T phone. Using Quickpic to manage pics. Unable to figure out how to decrease pic resolution so pics may be uploaded.

is sending them to your pc to resize an option? if not, google says to send it to WhatsApp, which will resize the image for u. but I dunno, just guessing.

I have the same problem. I have found apps to resize photos, but it's a hassle. Most forums I've been on automatically resize large photos, but I know nothing about forum software, so maybe that's harder to do than it seems.

Same issue, sometimes iPhone photos will upload, sometimes they’re too big. At the point the hassle factor is high so skip it.

If you're using your PC, take a screenshot of the pic. The screenshot will have a smaller file size. At least that's what I do, and it works.

Had the issue as well... I choose ‘large’ now when I upload pictures and it usually works...

Step 1:

B80BA223-C23E-4A2C-8991-F466E8E76FAE.jpeg

Step 2:

14323644-5E63-4FAE-BAEE-757E4DB6DC8A.jpeg

Where is this option found?

I find it immediately when I hit ‘Upload a File’ and choose one of my pictures. It took be ages to see it though and I was cursing not being able to upload pictures anymore... :confused: I am usually using an iPhone to upload pictures so it might be different with other devices.

I find it immediately when I hit ‘Upload a File’ and choose one of my pictures. It took be ages to see it though and I was cursing not being able to upload pictures anymore... :confused: I am usually using an iPhone to upload pictures so it might be different with other devices.
Must be an I phone thing.

If you're using your PC, take a screenshot of the pic. The screenshot will have a smaller file size. At least that's what I do, and it works.
Hmmm, more hoops to jump through.
Is there an option in the forum software to do this? i.e. check a box and activate automatic pic size change to whatever the forum requires. A couple of posts above suggest that pics uploaded to the site are being limited by this issue.
Also, do you know the max pic size the forum supports?

I just use Affinity Photo to crop (if needed) and export them, reducing the quality in the export. How much to reduce the quality depends on how important it is to the picture. The quality of a meme, for example, would be less important than the quality of a scenic shot.

There's very little (if any) visible difference at the top end of the quality scale (say 10 to 15 percent). Using more than 90 percent is almost always a waste of space and bandwidth. I also have a custom setting that strips the metadata and knocks the quality down to about 75 percent. It dramatically reduces the file size with little visible difference in most pictures.

Rich

Convert to jpg. The other formats a phone uses are too big. No need to crop or resize.

So now u have a jpg on your win10 computer? Open with paint and choose the resize option. Easy peasy.

FYI when I upload a pic from my iPhone thru tapatalk I get prompted to choose a file size.

Thanks for the suggestion. $25; hmmm, if one doesn't want to pay is it cheap or frugal?

In this case, if you work with photos on even an occasional basis, cheap to the point of it being self-defeating. Affinity Photo is cheap, stable, does everything, is frequently updated (but never gets bloated), and has a gentle learning curve. It's the software that Adobe fears most because it compares favorably to Photoshop at about a bazillionth of the price, and has a perpetual license.

Serif also publishes Affinity Designer (similar to Adobe Illustrator) and Affinity Publisher (similar to Adobe inDesign). They're also cheap, excellent, perpetually-licensed, and therefore hated by Adobe.

I'm pretty sure they all have free trials. If you need the functionality, you'd do yourself a favor by checking them out.

Rich

FYI this is what happens when u upload a photo thru tapatalk:

938940ee83713633bb60fae266c317de.jpg

Hmmm, more hoops to jump through.
Is there an option in the forum software to do this? i.e. check a box and activate automatic pic size change to whatever the forum requires. A couple of posts above suggest that pics uploaded to the site are being limited by this issue.
Also, do you know the max pic size the forum supports?
I am not the IT guru on this forum, but I know that there is a maximum file size for uploads. I used the screenshot workaround on the computer, or change the file size before uploading from an iPhone, which is a function of the iPhone iOS.

used to be (but just looked and it's changed) you could Reply, Advanced Option, Attachments, Upload and the file chooser interface would show options for file type and max size ... but now I see Upload a File and no max size limits shown.
I use Tapatalk mostly any more and upload file is pretty much click and go.
I just added a picture to the Meat Shortage thread from desktop (Mac) on Chrome, and did drag and drop from Mac Photo to the reply box ... it uploaded it as a file attachment without complaint.

if you're name is Richard, do you always send Dick pics?

Google and download an App called PixResizer. Multiple formats, single photo or batch loads. Hands down the best photo resized I’ve found. Oh, two important attributes: free, and fast.

-Skip

Back