Photos from Croatia

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Good evening

I got back from Croatia a week ago. I had never been there before. Beautiful part of the world. The water really is that blue.

I am posting one-two new photos each morning on my blog - still sorting through them, so the photos are a bit random.

Enjoy.

http://skywalkerbeth.blogspot.com/

Great pictures as always, Beth! I have never given much though to what Croatia looked like.

Flew through Croatia a few times. Pretty country. Didn't get to see the beach but it looks similar to Montenegro. Another nice area.

That is amazing. Part of my family is from that part of the world...I have yet to visit there.

Beth,

Great pictures as usual.

As for Greece, some of the islands are spectacular. Athens: not so much, except that the ancient sites are a "must-do".

Thank you Mari! I hadn't either. I now wonder if this is what Greece look like.

Beth,

Great pictures as usual.

As for Greece, some of the islands are spectacular. Athens: not so much, except that the ancient sites are a "must-do".

I have to agree with Bill. You need to visit Athens for the ancient sites, but for beautiful water and islands, get away from there and go to places like Mykenos, Santorini (we need to get there, too) and other islands.

I have to agree with Bill. You need to visit Athens for the ancient sites, but for beautiful water and islands, get away from there and go to places like Mykenos, Santorini (we need to get there, too) and other islands.

Not to detract from Beth's wonderful photos, but I do want to entice you to Santorini....

Greece_2008_267_JFR.JPG

Greece_2008_272_JFR.JPG

Thank you everyone. I will say a number of my photos look the same: boats, and water. Lots of water. And boats.

My parents took me there in 68 ....your first picture of the Harbour in Hvar brought back an amazing memory....our first landfall in Yugoslavia was right there were the yachts are docked....at around 6 in the evening of our first day there avery large yacht tied up at the very end of that dock....and President Tito came walking off that yacht with Sophia Loren on his arm and came casually walking along the dock with only a couple of bodyguards...no police cordons or ropes or barriers....my mum and I were no more than 15 ft from them...pretty thrilling for a 13 year old boy to be that close to Sophia Loren...they were there to open a film festival.

The water really is that blue.
That could be true but surprisingly there ain't much to see underwater, I have been always on a lookout for some great dive locations and Adriatic/Mediterranean doesn't even register in world scuba literature. It is devoid of fish, etc. though it surely looks very pretty specially next to some Roman/Greek ruins.

That could be true but surprisingly there ain't much to see underwater, I have been always on a lookout for some great dive locations and Adriatic/Mediterranean doesn't even register in world scuba literature. It is devoid of fish, etc. though it surely looks very pretty specially next to some Roman/Greek ruins.

Actually it's not really that surprising....the Med is essentially a closed system, with very little coming in from the Atlantic...virtually no tides per se and it has been used as a dumping ground and fishing grounds for thousands of years....and with the more modern factory types of fishing vessels in use over the past 50 years it's no surprise that fish stocks are essentially gone...especially near-shore ones.

I am no marine biologist or an environmentalist but I have been swimming (and did some scuba diving) numerous times in Adriatic/Mediterranean and not for a second did I feel like I was in a polluted water but rather in water with surprisingly little marine life (overfishing, lack of currents with nutrients, etc??).

Last edited:
Hey it's a big sea...certain areas are polluted other areas are gin clear...Bay of Naples used to be very problematic in the summer as an example , wouldnt go swimming within 5 miles of the ports of Bari or Brindisi either but I'd have no problem swimming in the water in your pic or around most of the islands on the Dalmatian coast or many of the Italian islands. I went swimming in the middle Strait of Messina between Italy and Sicily....ten years later I found out it was a main feeding ground for great white sharks....I still get queasy thinking about it. I used to spear fish along the French and Italian coast when I was a kid...not much fish but I always managed to get a few octopus

Back