Photos, etc. from Gaston's

Looks good!! I am excited to see all the pictures everyone has.

You aren't kidding. You are on blind final in the Extra! :hairraise:

Ken Ibold said:
Whoo-hoo! Diana, how come you're sitting in the BACK of that Citabria?!?!?!
Because I wanted to see if this guy really knew how to fly a Citabria. ;)

Diana said:
Because I wanted to see if this guy really knew how to fly a Citabria. ;)

Well....?

gibbons said:
There is a short clip of my landing at Gaston's at this link:
www.tailwindfoundation.org/videos/landing_at_gastons.wmv

Great video; thanks for posting it Chip. Those trees get awfully close at the approach end, don't they!?

By the way, is the camera mounted lower than your eye's POV? I'm wondering if you have better visibility over the nose (as the pilot) than the camera seems to indicate. If not, how do you keep from running into stuff?!

hmmm... Was that a LOT of extra power applied on base to final turn? ;)

SCCutler said:
Well....?
Well…I’ve never flown with anybody in a Citabria that could fly one as well as Ken did; he was "one" with the airplane. He's very smooth and flies with a finesse that is impressive. And he’s fun too! After a beautiful slip on final, Ken exclaimed, “I love slips!” It was a wonderful flight and a thrill for me to be able to fly with Ken. :)

Diana said:
Well…I’ve never flown with anybody in a Citabria that could fly one as well as Ken did; he was "one" with the airplane. He's very smooth and flies with a finesse that is impressive. And he’s fun too! After a beautiful slip on final, Ken exclaimed, “I love slips!” It was a wonderful flight and a thrill for me to be able to fly with Ken. :)
:redface:

Awww! How sweet are you?!?!?

(The check is in the mail.)

Troy Whistman said:
Great video; thanks for posting it Chip. Those trees get awfully close at the approach end, don't they!?

By the way, is the camera mounted lower than your eye's POV? I'm wondering if you have better visibility over the nose (as the pilot) than the camera seems to indicate. If not, how do you keep from running into stuff?!

The camera is actually a bit higher than my eye level so it sees over the nose a little better, but I'm further back so I have better visibility around the nose. All in all, it's a pretty fair representation of what I see. It's so much better than a Pitts that I don't think too much about it anymore, and I just bet it's a lot better than Greg's visibility in the 195.

sshekels said:
hmmm... Was that a LOT of extra power applied on base to final turn? ;)
Hey Shekels,
Nothing got broken and everyone walked away. Another perfect landing :)

Really enjoyed meeting the folks at Gaston's, it is nice to put a real face with a name. Thanks to all for helping Rudy celebrate his 19th birthday.
Grandpaw is still proud!!! Pictures with captions attached.

Last edited:
jbelew said:
Really enjoyed meeting the folks at Gaston's, it is nice to put a real face with a name. Thanks to all for helping Rudy celebrate his 19th birthday.
Grandpaw is still proud!!! Pictures with captions attached.
Great pictures Jim. I'm sorry some of the people had to leave early and you and Rudy didn't get to meet them all.

I didn't realize that Rudy got all 10's on his landing! Yay Rudy! :D

Steve said:
They enjoyed rainbow trout for dinner Sunday night that they had caught that morning.
Did Cheryl show you her "before" and "after" photos?

Steve said:
Those were two "keepers" she caught Saturday afternoon and had that night for dinner with the PoA group. She and Mary went back out the crack of dawn Sunday and caught four more.:frog:
I had the pleasure of sitting across from Cheryl, and it looked yummy :)

Here are the fisher-ladies, in-boat! Took this Sunday morning.

Ok - here's my pix (feel free to merge into any other picture thread)

Ok - Ken, you're free to use any of these pictures that you want.

First, Greg Bockelman landing his magnificent 190.

A good closeup of the Bockman's 190

Dr. Bruce landing his Seneca.

Ed Fred taking off in his Archer (I think its an Archer....if not, its an Arrow)

Good closeup of Ed Fred's Archer

Gaston's Front Office

Ron Levy's and his Cheeger

Ron Levy landing his Cheeger

The Runway at Gastons

Brad Snodgrass landing his homebuilt RV8A

The three amigos!! Michael (left), Nick (me, center), and Mark (right)

My very quick ride home!

Feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong!

Last edited:
Re: Ok - here's my pix (feel free to merge into any other picture thread)

great pics nick! thanks :)
Had a great time with you, and no matter what mark says, I think your a great pilot/navigator!
would fly with you anytime.

Michael

Nick,
Thanks for the great pics!!!!

gibbons said:
I put together a five minute video of the Gaston's weekend. There are two versions:

The big version (20 meg) - broadband:
http://www.eaa732.org/aopa/video/gastons_2005.wmv

The small version (1.5 meg) - dial up:
http://www.eaa732.org/aopa/video/gastons_2005_small.wmv

I forgot to put on the video the music is by Strength In Numbers from the Telluride Sessions CD - The cut is called "Future Man".

Wow man...just....wow. That's amazing. Really brought out the feeling of being there. I didn't realize you had a video of that low pass followed by the wingover (I think that's what its called).

You are an artistic genious!

That was an awesome video hopefully we can all use it to get more people to come next year Thanks, Chip
Brian:lightning:

OK ya'll....fess up. Who did this? :rofl: :rofl: :hairraise:

Nick. Great pics!

My, my a Grumman Tiger on grass. Thought you guys said it couldn't be done? :)

Beautiful Cessna 190. What's the difference between the 190 and 195? A floatplane operator at Greenville, ME operates two 195's on floats.

Last edited:

Frank Browne said:
OK ya'll....fess up. Who did this? :rofl: :rofl: :hairraise:
LOL!!

Frank, you have WAAAAAAAAY too much time on your hands!!

Anthony said:
Beautiful Cessna 190. What's the difference between the 190 and 195? A floatplane operator at Greenville, ME operates two 195's on floats.

A question I always had too, and one which Greg answered for me this last weekend; the 190 has (had) a Continental engine (240hp), while the 195 had a Jacobs ("Jake," 300hp); Greg's is a 190, but he has replaced the Continental with a Jake afer the Continental gobbled up a rod. So I asked him if that made his plane into a 195, and he told me that since the data plate says 190, that's what it remains. But it is functionally a 195.

192.5?

I think I got all that right, and if it's wrong, I look forward to being corrected and chastised appropriately.

Whatever you call it, *I* called it beautiful, and am plenty green with envy at his very nice plane.

See brochures: http://www.cessna195.org/classic/brochures.cfm

Absolutely fantastic video Chip!!! :cheerswine: :cheerswine:

Official Annual Gaston's Positions:

Head Honcho - Diana
Head of Ground Ops - Steve
Head of Video Production - Chip

Last edited:

SCCutler said:
So I asked him if that made his plane into a 195, and he told me that since the data plate says 190, that's what it remains. But it is functionally a 195.
See brochures: http://www.cessna195.org/classic/brochures.cfm

Thanks Spike, that clears it up. Yes it is beautiful. I think the 190/195 is one of the most beautiful, classic aircraft out there. Your explanation makes sense. Same deal with Ron Levy's Grumman. Its functionally a Tiger, yet the data plate says Cheetah (AA5A) so that's what the FAA calls it. (Plus it still says Cheetah on the side :) at least until Ron paints it.

Last edited:
gibbons said:
I put together a five minute video of the Gaston's weekend. There are two versions:

I forgot to put on the video the music is by Strength In Numbers from the Telluride Sessions CD - The cut is called "Future Man".

Great video Chip. It captures what the weekend was about. I hope to attend whenever I can pull off such a trip.

BTW: For those who see 20mb and scream in terror, it's much better quality and takes about 0.8hr to download at 56K. Well worth walking off and leaving the computer muching on it IMO.

gibbons said:

Absolutely AWESOME! Thanks, Chip. That is fantastic. You really captured the spirit of the flyin.

I snuck down the hall to watch the video on the PC. Makes me happy-sad-happy-sad-happy. Great job, Chip.

Back