Phones

Silvaire

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Silvaire
Last week my three (maybe four) year old phone finally gave up the ghost. It was a Droid Razr and was the size of the original iPhone. I had to upgrade and went with the Drooid Turbo which is significantly larger. It seems I didn't have any choice to get a phone smaller than a snack tray.

Is there anything out there that's shirt pocket sized? I don't need to carry a video screen around, I just want a phone that can do internet stuff.

Anything that is shirt pocket sized is going to be a cheaper phone that wont handle apps and internet as well as the Droid Turbo which is top of the line right now. I also had droid razr and upgraded to a larger phone (Lg G2) and you do get used to the size after a while. The only decent smaller phone would probably be an older iphone 4s or a droid mini but those will be slower and outdated compared with the turbo. Hope this helps.

Maybe you can borrow Lou's phone. I'm fairly confident it's a flip phone and somehow still functions.

... and you do get used to the size after a while..

I guess so, bought a couple of cargo shorts at Costco today. I suppose phones are going to influence apparel styling in the short term but I don't think I'm alone here, people are eventually going to want smaller, lighter phones. The thing I liked about the Razr was that I could totally panic thinking I had forgotten my phone when it was right there in my pocket.

Samsung S5 mini?

Unfortunately the mini is a totally different phone with very different performance specs.

---

I have a first gen Moto X (Motorola Mobility's flagship) and like it a lot. The external dimensions are only slightly bigger than the iPhone 5 (and about the same as the Razr) but it with a noticeably larger screen. The second gen Moto X is probably too big for you.

The version of Android used on these phones is very close to stock so it's a bit speedier, e.g. compared to Samsung with Touchwiz.

Last edited:
I am going to buy all the flip phones I can find and use them until they are out dated. I have no need to carry a 27 inch screen that is disguised as a phone in my pocket.

I just need a phone, nothing else. Besides, flip style communicators worked just fine for Cpt Kirk and the highly logical XO Spok.....

Unfortunately the mini is a totally different phone with very different performance specs.

---

I have a first gen Moto X (Motorola Mobility's flagship) and like it a lot. The external dimensions are only slightly bigger than the iPhone 5 (and about the same as the Razr) but it with a noticeably larger screen. The second gen Moto X is probably too big for you.

The version of Android used on these phones is very close to stock so it's a bit speedier, e.g. compared to Samsung with Touchwiz.

The Original Poster didn't say he needed the top performance, he is after all coming from a 4 year old phone. The S5 would likely seem quite zippy to him.

I am going to buy all the flip phones I can find and use them until they are out dated. I have no need to carry a 27 inch screen that is disguised as a phone in my pocket.

I just need a phone, nothing else. Besides, flip style communicators worked just fine for Cpt Kirk and the highly logical XO Spok.....

You and me both. I still have my 2004 flip phone.

My cellphone is a phone. I don't want texting, I don't want a camera, I don't want web surfing. I just want my phone to be, well, a phone.

Last week my three (maybe four) year old phone finally gave up the ghost. It was a Droid Razr and was the size of the original iPhone. I had to upgrade and went with the Drooid Turbo which is significantly larger. It seems I didn't have any choice to get a phone smaller than a snack tray.

I just made the exact same upgrade about a month ago and, yeah, the larger size is annoying. I love the far superior battery life and the 64GB of memory though.

And, on a separate note...I'm really amazed at how much difference the new phone made to my internet speeds (Verizon UNLTD data so our hotspotted phones are our home internet access).

Here's the old phone:

attachment.php

And here's the new phone:

attachment.php

Both 4G, and, no, Verizon hasn't upgraded anything...mama is still using her droid Razr and still seeing the lower speeds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-03-06-05-13-2.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-03-06-05-13-2.png
    164.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
BTW...

I oft joke that since cellphones continue to get larger, and tablets smaller...soon they'll be the same size and we'll all be wearing Velcro gloves that the tablet/phone sticks to...as it'll be too large to hold!

:goofy:

I think we're already there, they call them phablets.

I don't mind my phone having a camera, being able to text, internet, gps navigation, a calculator, ruler, OBD2 scanner and all the other things. I just liked the size of the Razr. You could carry it in a shirt pocket.

I don't mind my phone having a camera, being able to text, internet, gps navigation, a calculator, ruler, OBD2 scanner and all the other things. I just liked the size of the Razr. You could carry it in a shirt pocket.

Believe it or not, my iPhone6 fits comfortably in the front pocket of my pants (reg fit jeans or casual slacks) no problem. And, it'll fit in most of my button down shirt pockets.

I haven't had any problems carrying it. But, I still can't read any of the print in Foreflight and still fly the dang airplane at the same time!

Is there anything out there that's shirt pocket sized? I don't need to carry a video screen around, I just want a phone that can do internet stuff.

I think the iPhone 4s is still being "sold" - probably free with a contract.

A bit dated but should be fine as a phone and internet browser.

Yea pants pocket is okay, no problem but too big for a shirt pocket. Of course putting your phone in your shirt pocket has it's risks as it will drop out and bounce on the pavement first time you bend over to pick something up. Ask me how I know :mad:

Other than that I like the Turbo. Still haven't found an app that will let it open my garage door though.

I'm a Luddite. I still carry an old LG flip phone, all I want it to do is be a telephone and occasionally text. If I want to run apps I use a my Nexus 7 (in the plane) or an LG Tab 3.

I'm a Luddite. I still carry an old LG flip phone, all I want it to do is be a telephone and occasionally text. If I want to run apps I use a my Nexus 7 (in the plane) or an LG Tab 3.

My wife dragged me kicking and screaming into the iPhone world a few years back. If I wasn't so whipped, I'd go back to my old flip phone. :yesnod:

Does a Blackberry still exist?

Indeed. For how much longer is anyone's guess, but I plan to buy another one or two so I have backups, just in case they stop making them.

Rich

I have a iPhone 4s, I take good care of my stuff, but it's battery life is getting a little low, based on form factor and mission, I'm just going to out a new battery in it, cheaper, easier, and I end up with a better phone for me.

The requirement for "internet stuff" automatically puts you in to a touch screen smart phone unless you want an exercise in frustration.

I was so ****ed off when I got my Motorola Razor that I nearly smashed it several times. It purported web browsing and email capability but in reality it was next to worthless for either. And if someone sent you an HTML format email, that's what you got, a stream of HTML code that was truncated at the message length limit.

Back