Philly FSDO- Any experience with DPE?

Maurice Ellis

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Avi8r
I am currently 3-4 lessons shy from taking my Instrument Rating Checkride. Anyone out there have any recommendations for me one who I should take it with?

Heard Will Wheaton is pretty good.

I'd also recommend Bill. Good guy and fair examiner.

That's who I would like to take it with, but I heard it takes a few weeks to get him and unfortunately I don't have that time as the school I'm flying with has a deadline for me to get my instrument.

Just email him. Last time I spoke to him (last month), he said give him a week notice. Maybe he can get you done faster.

Last edited:
I took my instrument ride with Dennis, pretty straight forward, not as bad a guy as most made him out to be.

Joan Bertles is a fantastic DPE. I flew with her for my PPL out of PNE. I know Gary liked Einstein but I'm not familiar with Mr. Wheaton

I took my instrument ride with Dennis, pretty straight forward, not as bad a guy as most made him out to be.
I don't think he is a bad guy at all, just want to experience meeting different dpes, could even possibly make connections, who knows

Last edited:
Not sure if your school lets you work outside the Philly FSDO but I had Jay Auslander of the Teterboro FSDO for my ATP and he was a super chill dude.

Back