Pet Peeves

Health care industry attire.

When did it become okay for anyone and everyone even remotely tied to the health care industry to wear pajamas (scrubs)?

Now even front desk staff wear them. Their job is making appointments and filling insurance and stuff. Why would they wear pajamas too? Aren't scrubs for surgeons who get bloody during operations and provide them disposable clothing? Why would secretaries need that?

I think they just like wearing pajamas to work and it's become accepted. Not very a professional attitude if'n ya ask me.

Speaking of wearing pajamas. People who wear them anywhere other than their own homes annoy me. Especially on airline flights

When did it become okay for anyone and everyone even remotely tied to the health care industry to wear pajamas (scrubs)?

Now even front desk staff wear them. Their job is making appointments and filling insurance and stuff. Why would they wear pajamas too? Aren't scrubs for surgeons who get bloody during operations and provide them disposable clothing? Why would secretaries need that?

I think they just like wearing pajamas to work and it's become accepted. Not very a professional attitude if'n ya ask me.

My wife's company banned scrubs. It's lovely when she gets bled on, barfed on, crapped on, etc. Sometimes the clothes just get tossed. And luckily she's a long way from being a noob and knows how to get out of the way of the projectile stuff.

When did it become okay for anyone and everyone even remotely tied to the health care industry to wear pajamas (scrubs)?.
Don't forget the Crocs. Many nurses around here wear those stupid things. P.J.s and Crocs...such professional attire.

The idea of scrubs is that you change into them from your street clothes before you enter the OR or ICU and back out of them once you leave with the idea of separating the bugs outside from the ones inside.

Flowery design PJs taken home by staff and washed in their personal laundry completely defeat that purpose.

The idea of scrubs is that you change into them from your street clothes before you enter the OR or ICU and back out of them once you leave with the idea of separating the bugs outside from the ones inside.

Flowery design PJs taken home by staff and washed in their personal laundry completely defeat that purpose.
Everyone in my veterinary hospital wears them. They are comfortable. They are inexpensive. They clean up well. Clients can tell the difference between an employee and another client. Every employee is always at risk of being shed on, bled on, peed or pooped on, sprayed on, or have cleaning solution spilled on them. And cat claws rarely snag them. And employees see wearing them as a benefit. So why in the world would you hypersensitive nitpickers have a problem with that?

I think scrubs and Crocs are a better idea than the white dresses and hats nurses had to wear years ago.

They are comfortable. They are inexpensive.

So are PJs, track-suits and leggings.

Every employee is always at risk of being shed on, bled on, peed or pooped on, sprayed on, or have cleaning solution spilled on them. And cat claws rarely snag them.

Wouldn't wearing disposable aprons when working with the animals make more sense ?

And employees see wearing them as a benefit. So why in the world would you hypersensitive nitpickers have a problem with that?

Heck, when I can get away with wearing them, I do so too. Key benefit of scrubs is that you toss them in the hamper at the end of the shift and they magically show up washed and folded on the locker room shelf.

Wouldn't wearing disposable aprons when working with the animals make more sense ?

Heck, when I can get away with wearing them, I do so too. Key benefit of scrubs is that you toss them in the hamper at the end of the shift and they magically show up washed and folded on the locker room shelf.

Aprons provide only limited coverage. I don't see scrubs as different from any other industrial work uniform.

If we are going to talk about wearing pajamas to work, how about Military pilots who hang around the office in flight suits with no intention of going flying? ;)

:stirpot:

(I did see some announcement that the NORTHCOM commander was banning it this year. A never ending insider military debate... I have no dog in the fight, just pointing it out to rile up the peanut gallery... 'Cause that's what we do here!)

No. What do you think would be better about that? Aprons get in the way.

[/quote]
They can also be changed in the middle of the day when necessary. Sometimes several times.

I guess I just don't see how medical staff wearing medical clothing could possibly annoy anyone that doesn't need professional help themselves.

I guess I just don't see how medical staff wearing medical clothing could possibly annoy anyone that doesn't need professional help themselves.

Really? I see it, no different than the gay marriage issue or any other issue where people object to stuff that doesn't effect them. I don't agree with it, but I see it, humans are defective in thought processes.

"defective thought process"? Did you really just go there on a pajama rant?

If we are going to talk about wearing pajamas to work, how about Military pilots who hang around the office in flight suits with no intention of going flying? ;)

Better yet, the NON military pilot who wears them to go fly their Cub.

:D

:stirpot:

(I did see some announcement that the NORTHCOM commander was banning it this year. A never ending insider military debate... I have no dog in the fight, just pointing it out to rile up the peanut gallery... 'Cause that's what we do here!)

Any excuse to get out of wearing Class A's to work seems reasonable to me....

On Flyertalk.com these folks are derogotorily called "gate lice". Not a nice term. That, and "kettles" for the once a year travelers who have no idea how the system works and slow down the frequent travelers. Some folks get downright nasty on that site.

Ha! You know, I actually heard that term used once, but I never put two and two together.

I'll have to go over and check that out sometime. I'm sure they are nasty...anyone who's a frequent (commercial) flyer has to deal with these things on a routine basis. It wouldn't be so bad really if people would just read and listen.

We (people) read and listen everyday to function. But when people walk into an airport, they no longer comprehend?

Seriously...how many times do you have to explain to someone that they need to take off their shoes? Or remove their computer from their bag and place it in a separate bin?

This must be why we need a video and four stewardesses to explain how to use a seatbelt, and that there is no smoking on an airplane.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, it's a pet peeve thread!

Yeah, you're right. I even figured that out myself later.

But one of my pet peeves is when I hear pots calling kettles black. Something about casting the first stone I guess.

Speed bumps that are so pronounced you'd get a smoother ride by jumping the curb...

Yeah, you're right. I even figured that out myself later.

But one of my pet peeves is when I hear pots calling kettles black. Something about casting the first stone I guess.

Ummm, how does that apply here?

FWIW, my girlfriend works in health care and hates her scrubs.

poor grammar
people talking on cell phones at restaurants
people who park in handicap spots without permits

"This page intentionally left blank."

No... Um, actually it's got a sentence printed on it.

You're just being funny right? That can't really be a peeve of yours.

Nope. Annoys the hell out of me. It should say, "This page intentionally not left blank. (So you know there wasn't a printing error.)"

Or something like, "No publication content printed on this page."

Tubes of toothpaste and tubes of hand lotion that look very much alike when they are laying on the bathroom counter when you're really tired.

Tubes of toothpaste and tubes of hand lotion that look very much alike when they are laying on the bathroom counter when you're really tired.

Wow...although I've never had this happen, I am really, really sympathetic to this issue!

I hope the lotion was at least a good taste!

Wow...although I've never had this happen, I am really, really sympathetic to this issue!

I hope the lotion was at least a good taste!

This just happened Sat. I did actually catch it just before the squeeze. I was like, "What the ?? Something doesn't look right..."

At least it wasn't hemaroid cream...:eek:

uhh - yeah. That would be not good.

Hint - never keep a tube of Chap Stick and a tube of glue stick in the same desk drawer.

Don't ask me how I know that's a bad idea.

Kids that come home from college, unload all their crap in the dining room, then leave a sack 'o candy on the counter that you dig into because it looks like chocolate covered raisins but after you start chewing on a handful you realize it's actually chocolate covered coffee beans.

Back