Pet friendly hotels on the East Coast?

Wrench978

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wrench978
My wife and I are planning on flying from Puerto Rico to NH for the holidays in our Bonanza, taking our 2 dogs with us. We thought we had a perfect overnight spot at Saint Simons Island with a hotel on the field, but we just found out there is a huge (almost as much as the room itself cost) pet fee, and a weight limit that we might be able to get away with for our smaller dog, but not our bigger dog. Does anybody have any suggestions for airports in the southeast that might have a hotel within walking distance to an airport?

Our current plan is to leave Isla Grande Airport (TJIG) early morning, stop in North Palm Beach County (F45) for fuel, then continue up the coast for a couple hours. much further north from SSI might be pushing it (hell, SSI is pushing it) but we would like to get a little further north than Palm Beach on day 1.

Edit*- I plan on calling the hotel tomorrow to see how much they adhere to their written policies

2nd Edit*- I called the hotel. they dont stick to their weight restrictions very firmly, and the pet fee is significantly lower than their website advertises. So we should be able to stay in Saint Simons, GA! Thanks for your help, all.

Last edited:
As much as you’d like to keep the dogs with you, there may be a quality dog boarding facility where you stop. Call ghe hotel for a recommendation. Make sure you have current health papers for the dogs,no matter what. Cross state lines with animals can be tricky these days, as we know from flying Pilots n Paws.

Motel 6 reportedly has no pet fees. Of course it’s a Motel 6.

Most Residence Inn's by Marriott are Pet Friendly. That is where we often stay, even when we don't bring our pets. We like the extra room and kitchen. But they are not usually near much that you want to be near so we usually rent a car.

Last edited:
Not exactly the coast, but The Aloft in Greenville SC is dog friendly. Fly into GMU. The downtown area is very cool. It's a short ride from the airport.

Last edited:
I've never stayed there, but I have friends who love The Inn at River Oaks in Southport, NC as doggy friendly hotel. The map tells me it's 5 miles from Cape Fear Regional / KSUT and located in "downtown" Southport, which is a quaint little town. That's southern talk for not at all fancy.

I guess I omitted some critical information. We are trying to limit how many people we interact with, so we are trying to avoid taking uber or a taxi (which would be difficult with 2 people and 2 dogs) and we would rather not rent a car if we can avoid it. obviously, if we have to, we have to. so we are looking for walking distance, hopefully. I considered Marion Co. KMAO, but I think after a 6.5 hour over water flight, another 3.5 hour flight would be pushing it.

Look at Jekyll Island - call Day's Inn

KMAO, but I think after a 6.5 hour over water flight, another 3.5 hour flight would be pushing it.

An early Bo has the fuel capacity for that? Thought those things have 53 usable with the 10 gal tips.

If the Home2 falls through at SSI, the Hampton Inn may be an option. It’s within walking distance.

Jekyll Island (09J)...Holiday Inn Resort. It’s about 1 mile from the airport. No shuttle, but if you call ahead, the airport manager can be accommodating for late arrivals. Wife and I have stayed there several times with our 50 lb American bulldog with no issues. They have self serve fuel at Jekyll now as well.

Do what my sister does, slap on a service animal vest. Her Boxer supposedly ‘alerts’ her with a paw when her blood surgery is off. Of course the dog does the same to EVERYONE.

She believes her dog can go anywhere, because it’s a ‘service animal’ after all.

Look at Jekyll Island - call Day's Inn

Jekyll Island (09J)...Holiday Inn Resort. It’s about 1 mile from the airport. No shuttle, but if you call ahead, the airport manager can be accommodating for late arrivals. Wife and I have stayed there several times with our 50 lb American bulldog with no issues. They have self serve fuel at Jekyll now as well.

Thanks guys. I will use that as a backup.

If the Home2 falls through at SSI, the Hampton Inn may be an option. It’s within walking distance.

I believe my wife called them and they dont allow pets...

An early Bo has the fuel capacity for that? Thought those things have 53 usable with the 10 gal tips.

I have 90 gallons (84 usable) over 6 tanks. the tips are 15 gal each.

Do what my sister does, slap on a service animal vest. Her Boxer supposedly ‘alerts’ her with a paw when her blood surgery is off. Of course the dog does the same to EVERYONE.

She believes her dog can go anywhere, because it’s a ‘service animal’ after all.

my wife has mentioned that option. I shoot it down pretty quickly.

Am I the only one that thought it said ‘pot friendly hotel’?

This is what makes life difficult for people with real needs and disabilities. Your sister seems very self centered.

Back