Person on The Runway

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
I came across a guy doing his evening jog on the runway today while doing pattern work with my student. The dude didn't even get off the runway when we were doing our takeoff rolls.

I wanted to get out and give the guy a peice of my mind for being an idiot.

Who in their right mind continues to run along a runway when you know an aircraft is using it???

You could ask, "who lands on a runway with a person on it". Still, just weird.

In Canada we have this regulation:

302.10 No person shall

<snip>
  • (c) walk, stand, drive a vehicle, park a vehicle or aircraft or cause an obstruction on the movement area of an airport, except in accordance with permission given
    • (i) by the operator of the airport, and
    • (ii) where applicable, by the appropriate air traffic control unit or flight service station...

Surely the FARs have something, but I can't find it.

You could ask, "who lands on a runway with a person on it". Still, just weird.

Yep.

We were rolling out and I saw what looked like a person in the middle of the runway. When we got closer I saw it was definitely a person. He slowly power walked to the side of the runway and back to the middle after he passed us.

We actually had to move to the edge of the runway to taxi pass the dude or we would have hit him with the wing.

I once had a woman jogging down runway 19 (10,000') at Eglin AFB! Middle of the day, and unfortunately the fighters were all out playing in the Gulf, well above it actually, I hope. Would have been sweet to have had a couple of Eagles on a low approach. I went out to the tower catwalk and yelled at her to get off the runway. She waves. Called security and turns out she was a Major and a nurse at the base hospital. Crazy.

I once had a woman jogging down runway 19 (10,000') at Eglin AFB! Middle of the day, and unfortunately the fighters were all out playing in the Gulf, well above it actually, I hope. Would have been sweet to have had a couple of Eagles on a low approach. I went out to the tower catwalk and yelled at her to get off the runway. She waves. Called security and turns out she was a Major and a nurse at the base hospital. Crazy.

Rank has its privileges but that doesn't mean its right.

Does being a major in the nursing corp give you the privilege of a runway incursion?

Ao
Yep.

We were rolling out and I saw what looked like a person in the middle of the runway. When we got closer I saw it was definitely a person. He slowly power walked to the side of the runway and back to the middle after he passed us.

We actually had to move to the edge of the runway to taxi pass the dude or we would have hit him with the wing.
So......you yielded the right of way to a trespasser? How about shut it down, get out, tell them how effing stupid they are, ID them, report the incident to the city/county and the FSDO.

These people are the same ones who will walk down the middle of the railroad tracks, get hit by a train, and if they're lucky enough to survive, sue the railroad. DOH!

One would have to believe such a person is begging you to re-enact that scene from. North By Northwest, no?
Hard to reasonably interpret their actions in any other way.

That's why I keep one of these mounted to the yoke:

bike%20horn-500x500.jpg

It would be really tempting to call 911, "There appears to be a distressed person on the runway, I don't know if they are planning suicide" (watch them get hauled off in a straightjacket)

One would have to believe such a person is begging you to re-enact that scene from. North By Northwest, no?
Hard to reasonably interpret their actions in any other way.

Oh trust me I seriously thought about it. At least to scare them from doing it again.

Staff officer :rolleyes:
Regardless of rank, that never would have occurred on any base I was on. Security was too tight. You could not get near the flight line much less on it without proper pass. No one in their right mind would have attempted the runway on foot.

It would be really tempting to call 911, "There appears to be a distressed person on the runway, I don't know if they are planning suicide" (watch them get hauled off in a straightjacket)
Could you call in a "terrorist trying to plant explosives along the runway, disguised as a jogger"? :D

Regardless of rank, that never would have occurred on any base I was on. Security was too tight. You could not get near the flight line much less on it without proper pass. No one in their right mind would have attempted the runway on foot.
Most of the bases I was on had open flight lines.

Ao

So......you yielded the right of way to a trespasser? How about shut it down, get out, tell them how effing stupid they are, ID them, report the incident to the city/county and the FSDO.
Assuming it was a nontowered field, what's to report?

Assuming it was a nontowered field, what's to report?

A lot of public non towered airports have laws against unauthorized persons on the runway and consider it a misdemeanor offense.

It was the early 80s and on the Test Wing side of the base. Over at the Fighter Wing those crew chiefs were armed, 45s I believe. I only wish the fighters had been recovering to the base and gave her a proper buzzing. :cornut:

Does being a major in the nursing corp give you the privilege of a runway incursion?

I'm sure it was unintentional and a big boo boo on her part.

Used to run on the runway at Camp Speicher in the mornings. Since the AF / Navy put some nicely spaced craters in it, there was no worry of tower reporting me. :)

Free kill . . .tempting, maybe elevate the gene pool a bit. Lot of gore, though, and the airplane would be down for repairs.

Drunk walked down the runway at Norton AFB, back in the 70s. We called ground, and the sky cops came out, beat the snot out of him, etc.

I didn't know airports had the ability to pass laws.

They don't. That's why it's in the town's Code of Ordinances. Such as my airport, it's a $500 fine and/or 30 days confinement for unauthorized persons in the landing area.

it's not like the rank of major sends fear among the masses. being a nurse doesn't guarantee common sense.

Last edited:
We'd get folks walking on the runway at KNZY every now and then. Their journey started about 11 miles Southeast at "bull ring"

Back