Person jumps from aircraft landing at RDU

Occam? Never heard of her.

Well, it's a him...William of Occam (or Ockham) was a Scholastic philosopher who lived in the late 1200s into the 1300s, who is said to have coined the phrase "plurality should not be posited without necessity", which has since become the idea that the simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Pretty much everyone except Occam agrees with you.
I'm an engineer, not a historian, but I don't believe Occam ever implied that you don't need to continue searching for the real explanation once you've found (what you think is) the simplest explanation. Simplicity rarely accounts for irrational behavior or random chance, which have been a part of many mishaps, aviation and otherwise.

Nauga,
and Swiss cheese, not a well.

>>>
SHADY02: “My copilot just ran out the back of the plane”
<<<

Did copilot open the ramp, then run right out the back? Or did the pilot open it (maybe for a gear inspection) and then the copilot ran out?

“…just ran out the back of the plane”. I’m no rocket surgeon, but I gotta think there’s more to this story.
Definitely shady, that’s for sure.

It’s just entertainment for me now. See what kind of WAG’s are getting thrown out and by who.

I’m not convinced that “recording” is legit.

For sure, it's lacking provenance. Where did it come from?

But on the other hand, it sounds very believable to me. I can imagine the pilot and controller reacting exactly like that, in an emergency approach with broken landing gear when the co-pilot just jumped out the plane.

So until there is official information about what happened, it’s ALL speculation.

Yes, or until the pilot speaks publicly ... which would probably not serve his interests, or the interests of his employer, so I doubt if that will happen.

Maybe OP can set up a poll:
  1. Fell out by accident while evaluating damage
  2. Jumped out while in unilateral remorse
  3. Jumped out after stress of severe disparagement over several minutes

Last edited:
Maybe OP can set up a poll:
  1. Fell out by accident while evaluating damage
  2. Jumped out while in unilateral remorse
  3. Jumped out after stress of severe disparagement over several minutes
Other than some unforeseen options, I'm going with #1 (with #3 a possibility.)

The controller's voice in the above audio matches the voice heard working RDU approach control during the time of the event.

I guess no one took me seriously. The voice working one of the RDU sectors that talked to Shady 02 is the same controller voice on the audio. Do you honestly think someone is going to hire a voice double to make an unauthentic recoding of this? Or, better yet, hire the controller in question and have him read a script? Have the doubters actually read this thread from start to finish?

If you still doubt, then I’ll tell you the secret alternate truth that will sound juicer. The audio came from Hunter’ laptop computer.

Other than some unforeseen options, I'm going with #1 (with #3 a possibility.)
After reading in other sources about the alleged toxic work environment in his company, I'm leaning toward #3 now. An extended tongue lashing from a vindictive check pilot, leading to the immediate and mistaken belief that the FO's career (and by extension, life) was ruined. For a very young and unseasoned pilot that could do it. Any way you look at it, the PIC is tainted. That's my WAG for the day.

I guess no one took me seriously. The voice working one of the RDU sectors that talked to Shady 02 is the same controller voice on the audio. Do you honestly think someone is going to hire a voice double to make an unauthentic recoding of this? Or, better yet, hire the controller in question and have him read a script? Have the doubters actually read this thread from start to finish?

If you still doubt, then I’ll tell you the secret alternate truth that will sound juicer. The audio came from Hunter’ laptop computer.
Has nothing to do with taking SGOTI seriously. Then again, I didn't realize that you were the sole arbiter of what is valid on the internet. Do you validate all content on the internet or just aviation?

There was a guy working Cleveland Center who sounded exactly like Barry White. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't him.

And I guess you didn't read about how it's curious that VASA or any of the other sites that have audio of an incident within 48 hours haven't come up with anything after this much time.

But yeah, sure. It's gotta be legit. It's on the internet. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I find its funny that there is so much skepticism about this tape. If someone actually stated why they think this recording isn’t legit, other than it’s the only one available now, or the usual source didn’t provide it, I would take it more seriously. The Barry White example doesn’t work for me.

This is one of those accidents where you just have to pull the pieces of information together to get a reasonable idea of what likely happened, and not everyone has done that. I’ve already spent too much time with this thread, so I should tune out.

Has nothing to do with taking SGOTI seriously. Then again, I didn't realize that you were the sole arbiter of what is valid on the internet. Do you validate all content on the internet or just aviation?

There was a guy working Cleveland Center who sounded exactly like Barry White. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't him.

And I guess you didn't read about how it's curious that VASA or any of the other sites that have audio of an incident within 48 hours haven't come up with anything after this much time.

But yeah, sure. It's gotta be legit. It's on the internet. :rolleyes:

You expressed your opinion no less than five (5) times in this thread. We get it. Literally anything on the internet can be fake, that goes without saying. Maybe you are the copilot's family's lawyer trying to seed doubt about the suicide hypothesis. Give it a rest.

VASA is a leech channel that makes money off of other people's work and public domain information adding shoddy and error-filled transcriptions. They are hardly an epitome of journalistic aviation reporting.

Based on the LACK of information.

I’m not convinced that “recording” is legit. So until there is official information about what happened, it’s ALL speculation.

So glad you are here to protect us from fake news. What would we do without you?

You expressed your opinion no less than five (5) times in this thread. We get it. Literally anything on the internet can be fake, that goes without saying. Maybe you are the copilot's family's lawyer trying to seed doubt about the suicide hypothesis. Give it a rest.
Thanks for watching!

VASA is a leech channel that makes money off of other people's work and public domain information adding shoddy and error-filled transcriptions. They are hardly an epitome of journalistic aviation reporting.
Never said they were a epitome of anything. Just that they (and others) are usually pretty quick when it comes to this sort of thing.

So glad you are here to protect us from fake news. What would we do without you?
Probably be struggling after giving all your money to a Nigeran prince. So you're welcome. I'm glad I could help you out.

Thanks for watching!

Never said they were a epitome of anything. Just that they (and others) are usually pretty quick when it comes to this sort of thing.

Probably be struggling after giving all your money to a Nigeran prince. So you're welcome. I'm glad I could help you out.

Must have missed the part where the uploader of the recording wanted money. Much thanks.

So you are saying they are becoming main stream media?

FWIW I recognize the controller’s voice on the RDU tower audio. Sounds real to me.

Latest crackpot theory I heard is that the surviving pilot’s injuries were from trying to keep the other guy from leaving his seat.

FWIW I recognize the controller’s voice on the RDU tower audio. Sounds real to me.

Latest crackpot theory I heard is that the surviving pilot’s injuries were from trying to keep the other guy from leaving his seat.
If that were so, I'd say that the surviving pilot caused the environment that made the other guy exit. But I'm still going with accident. I hope.

And my understanding is it is just 1 guy, a kid in college running that from his dorm room.

Did someone say they were “journalistic aviation reporting”?

Pilot accidentally runs over the copilot, drags him in onto the plane, tosses him out, claims there was a gear issue.

/conspiracy.

Pilot accidentally runs over the copilot, drags him in onto the plane, tosses him out, claims there was a gear issue.

/conspiracy.

Well, it could use a little motivation. Maybe,...

- Copilot turned informant on the smuggling ring.
OR
- Copilot stole pilot’s fiancé.
OR
- Copilot impregnated pilot’s sister/mother/daughter
OR
- Argument over who could log PIC

Others?

I thought it took three to make a conspiracy.

Close! You need three people to form an alliance that leads to a world war. Two people can make a conspiracy. (If you're a politician from IL or NY, it only takes one, but they have to have a split personality.)

Back