Perseids

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
Anyone else go out to watch them last night?

It was NOT an ideal meteor watching night here, very humid and somewhat hazy, with patches of high clouds drifting by, but between about 11pm and 2am it was clear enough for a try. So I drove out to my favorite spot and from about 0410Z and 0550Z I saw maybe 40-50 meteors, several of them quite bright with trails. As is usual with the Perseids, they tended to come in "spurts", with 2-3 over a minute in the same general part of the sky, then nothing for several minutes before the next spurt. Around 0545Z some more serious clouds started moving in so I called it a night.

Overall I'd call it an average showing for the Perseids, a little disappointing because the "forecast" was for 150-200 per hour this year. Even though my conditions were not ideal, I don't think there were that many. Just wondering if anyone had a different experience somewhere else, or maybe a little later on. West Coasters?

wishing to remember to look tonight,,, but thats the thing,,, remembering,,,,
will it be clear,, im at 48 north, near seattle
ive seen them before,, kind of fun but no big deal any more
with a lovely girl, and wine,, it can be great!

I watched with my daughter for about 30 minutes, then my neck got tired so I went to bed.

Partly cloudy by me. I sat outside for about 30 minutes. Saw one, but it was probably the biggest, brighest one I have ever seen.

I spent about 20 minutes watching. Only saw two and decided I was a bit early for the 200 an hour they were predicting. Being an old man... I went to bed.

Brightest, longest, most impressive ones I have seen were when flying. Simply because I am looking at the sky more then I guess.

Wife & I spotted 5 or 6 nice ones from our backyard last night. We plan on going out late tonight out in the dark country side to see some more. It's a tradition for us every year. We both remember when we were first dating nine years ago I stole my first kiss from her while we were watching Perseids in August of 2007.

same as stated above ^

The few we saw were impressive but few and far between. All emanating from the NE across the eastern sky to the south.

Wife & I spotted 5 or 6 nice ones from our backyard last night. We plan on going out late tonight out in the dark country side to see some more. It's a tradition for us every year. We both remember when we were first dating nine years ago I stole my first kiss from her while we were watching Perseids in August of 2007.
That's so sweet! :) It's kind of a tradition for me too. Though I don't have a SO or spouse, I've taken friends out to see them a couple of times, and I go out, alone if need be, every year it's clear and the moon isn't a factor.

I've still not seen any reports on the web from Europe or elsewhere, but from what's been posted here I'm beginning to think my experience this year wasn't unusual and that the forecast was a bust. It's still possible there was an "outburst" visible from somewhere else in the world.

Watched about 30 seconds of the meteor shower yesterday while loading the car up around 3:30 am for a road trip. Pretty much went like this...
Woah, there's one.
Oh, look... there's another.
OMG AIRPLANE!!!

Watched about 30 seconds of the meteor shower yesterday while loading the car up around 3:30 am for a road trip. Pretty much went like this...
Woah, there's one.
Oh, look... there's another.
OMG AIRPLANE!!!
Same thing a couple nights ago with me and my wife. Fire, movie, sleeping bag, then star gazing. I saw about 4 meteors, 1 satellite, and 12 airplanes.

Back