People Almost Met

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
So I have this rather spectacular aerial shot of an ocean-side "community." Knocking on some doors, large photo-canvas in-hand, one lady was very impressed, her home in the shot. "Carl's away at the moment. Could you come back at another time when he's here? I think Carl would like that." I asked for the name. "Carl Merrill, but we call him "Stump."

"Yes, ma'am; and are we talking former manager of New York Yankees?"
We were.

HR

Once, while working as a stage hand at the college theatre, I got to meet Marcel Marceau.

He didn't have that much to say.

Working customs at JFK, I've met a lot of famous people. Some are cool, some are outright holes.

Had lunch at the table next to Harrison Ford and Callista Flockhart, with their (then 10-year old) son, in Oshkosh.

My then 12-year old son almost spontaneously combusted, right before our very eyes. He was an arm's length from Han Solo! :)

I was standing in the doorway to the ramp at Atlantic, LAS and David Hasselhoff said "excuse me, can we get by".

My wife also told me David Spade was in the lobby, but I was too busy paying for fuel (and the ramp fee, and security fee, and overnight fee) to notice!

:)

We ran into Brett Favre at the FBO in Green Bay, the morning after seeing the Packers play.

That was another time my (then 14 year old) son nearly spontaneously combusted from excitement! :)

I met Roger Waters of Pink Floyd fame in Austin, TX back in the 1980's and repaired one of his keyboard synths before a concert. Also met Elliot Easton, guitarist of The Cars. I also barely missed getting to meet Michael Dorn, Star Trek TNG's Worf when he landed at my home airport F14 a few years ago.

I'm fairly certain that I walked past Alton Brown in the Hollywood Hills several years ago. I've always figured that most celebrities don't want to be bothered, and I especially wouldn't bother them when they're captive in an FBO. I once made the mistake of using an FBO which had an unpublished policy of CLOSING when pro golfers came through, and I arrived to depart one morning only to discover that I was locked out of access to my aircraft because the "more important" customers were in the process of departing. The last thing I cared about at that point was a close encounter with a celebrity--I just wanted to depart. I won't mention the name of the FBO, but it was somewhere in Northeastern Ohio and was not a chain. Needless to say, I haven't been back.

JKG

I worked in Malibu for many years for the State. I have meet many stars, walked by many and have sat next to many. Like what was said before, some are great and some are *******s. I ran into a lady while doing my job, I thought she was a actor. I asked her if she was shooting a movie, she replied it was a music video. I asked her who's? She said hers. I had no idea who she was and told her that. She asked if I listened to country music, I said no but my wife did. She said to take a picture with her and send it to my wife. I did. My wife replied how did I get her to take a picture and where is her husband. We both laughed and I went back to work. At home I asked my wife who was that lady, she told me it was Faith Hill.

Had lunch at the table next to Harrison Ford and Callista Flockhart, with their (then 10-year old) son, in Oshkosh.

My then 12-year old son almost spontaneously combusted, right before our very eyes. He was an arm's length from Han Solo! :)

"he's just a Pilot, son. He's just a pilot.........Yeah, of the freakin Millennium freakin Falcon!!!!!"

When I worked for the Pebble Beach Golf Course and Resorts I myself never met anyone. But my wife working for security for Pebble Beach was lucky to meet all sorts of people. Craig T. Nelson, Ray Romano, she spoke with Clint Eastwood so much I was tired of hearing about it, and many others.

Some great times at Pebble Beach.

Tony

Last edited:
When I worked for the Pebble Beach Golf Course and Resorts I myself never met anyone. But my wife working for security for Pebble Beach was lucky to meet all sorts of people. Craig T. Nelson, Ray Romano, she spoke with Clint Eastwood so much I was tired of hearing about it, and many others.

Some great times at Pebble Beach.

Tony

My wife worked in theatre on shows on Broadway, and the L.A. Music Center. She's met a ton. (She actually worked with Craig T. Nelson, among many others.) Me? Not so much.

When I introduced my 13 year old son to Roger Staubach at a Navy game he asked if he should ask for an autogragh. I told him no, someday you'll be more famous than him and he'll want your autogragh. Of course, he now has a job at NSA so no one will ever know he exists.

My only claim to fame was sitting behind Freddie Patek (former KC Royals SS back in the 70s) on a flight from KC to somewhere. And another time was eating dinner with my family at the next table over from Dan Quisenberry (former KC Royals closer back in the 80's) and his family not long before cancer killed him.

My original post was the result of knocking on doors in Harpswell Center, Maine. That's only a few miles down #123 from Brunswick, toward the ocean. When I learned upon whose door I knocked, I shouldn't have been surprised at Stump Merrill's choice of summer home location. He grew up in Brunswick, was a football and baseball star at Brunswick High School. Below is a portion of Harpswell Center, one of my extensive series. (Elijah Kellogg Church goes back to 1843). I have to get out of here; taking the Harley to the hangar to replace the updated GPS card. The plane is going abroad tomorrow(well, to Canada) but I'll not be in it. The plane's Radio Station License just arrived last week.

HR
[EDIT:] Rather than Harley-ing to my hangar I dropped the GPS card off at Randall's house. He told me that, "filling out the paperwork to fly into Canada was taking longer than his planned flight will take." The flight plan is to fly over Grand Manan Island en route to St. Steven, New Brunswick. That will result in over water flight for only about 20 minutes. The bad storms forecast for TODAY in Maine are expected to be in central/western/northern parts of the state. We're in coastal which follows into the further east.

Attachments

• DSC05416.JPG
    DSC05416.JPG
    12.3 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Shook hands with Kenny Norton. Almost shook hands with Smokin Joe Frazier, walked by him in an airport after his last fight. His entourage wouldn't let me get close to him. :rolleyes:

Almost shoot hands with Bill Cosby at an airport. He was in a leisure suit, this was back in the 70's. :lol:

years ago I took my girlfriend to a NY Rangers game and sat a few rows behind Rod Gilbert (a famous old time NY Ranger) and she didn't have a clue who he was but saw everyone asking him for his autograph. of course she wanted one, but I gave her some excuse as to why she didn't need his autograph. truth was, she simply wasn't worthy of it lol, but I simply didn't want to bother the poor guy.

I've met a few celebrities and athletes, mostly athletes and they were for the most part nice folks. Ate dinner with famous pilot Phil Mickleson, I think he plays golf too, but we talked airplanes.;) Played golf with Jim Mora Sr, we actually had a lot of fun, it was at his son's tournament, when he was the coach in Atlanta. :D We saw Craig T Nelson at a resort somewhere, I don't recall the place, he was nice, but we didn't bother him.

years ago I took my girlfriend to a NY Rangers game and sat a few rows behind Rod Gilbert (a famous old time NY Ranger) and she didn't have a clue who he was but saw everyone asking him for his autograph. of course she wanted one, but I gave her some excuse as to why she didn't need his autograph. truth was, she simply wasn't worthy of it lol, but I simply didn't want to bother the poor guy.

I met Nick Fotiu when he appeared as part of a Rangers "Skate with the Kids" event I took my kids to -- got his autograph and took a picture of him with my kids. Unfortuntately they didn't announce that he would be there ahead of time... I have an autograph of his on a glossy 8x10 from some 30 years' prior, and would love to have gotten him to re-sign that.

Katy Perry went to my high school..... Man did I miss the boat on that one. And what's even worse, is that nasty BO smelling, no talent Brit ended up making her "Rooooaaaaar!"

When I introduced my 13 year old son to Roger Staubach at a Navy game he asked if he should ask for an autogragh. I told him no, someday you'll be more famous than him and he'll want your autogragh. Of course, he now has a job at NSA so no one will ever know he exists.

Well he could go the Snowden route. LOL...

Oooo, a 'who ya met' thread!

Flew:

Sally Fields, James Caan, Jennifer Lopez, Charles Schwab, Cheech (not Chong), Lisa Kudrow, Hulk Hogan, William Perry (The Fridge), Curly (Harlem GlobeTrotters), bunch of State Reps (Florida), Dan Quale (his brother too...he's a pilot and nice guy btw),

Met:

Harrison Ford, Bill Murray, Michael J Fox, Phil Mickelson, President Obama (candidate walked by), Elle McPhearson, John Travolta,

That's all I can think of for now....

I've met a few football players. Deuce McAllister, Dexter McCluster, Patrick Willis, Greg Hardy, the Mannings, and a few others. Not sure who I have "almost" met lol. I have met Randy Couture (Retired UFC Fighter) on Waikiki Beach. I have met Shep Smith a few times, if you consider him "famous" lol. Nobody really super famous

Last edited:
No, it's an ALMOST met thread!

I almost met the President of the US, except he didn't get elected.

Good point.

Forgot, I just recently flew Chris O'Donnell (Robin from Batman and Robin...the one with George Clooney)‚ and Reese Witherspoon.

Sugar Ray Leonard, having lunch with his wife and son in Potomac, MD. My wife and I were the only others in the restaurant. I caught his eye, nodded, he nodded back. I just couldn't bring myself to intrude on his family time.

We ran into Brett Favre at the FBO in Green Bay, the morning after seeing the Packers play.

That was another time my (then 14 year old) son nearly spontaneously combusted from excitement! :)

We took our grandson to see Brett when he was promoting his book, several... several, years ago. He looked like he just met Superman, when we bought the book, and got it autographed, with a photo of Brett and him.

Oooo, a 'who ya met' thread!

Met:

Elle McPhearson,...
That's all I can think of for now....

Winner!

I went to an event Ted Turner was speaking at once. When I headed to the restroom, he came in to use the urinal next to me...yeah, I got stage fright!

One FBO I worked at gave plenty of opportunity to meet stars and celebrities. I chose to ignore them. :D

Oliver Reed, Stuart Whitman, John Ireland, Robert Mitchum, others ...

Partied with them.

Damn those guys could drink... (among other things.)

Winner!

I went to an event Ted Turner was speaking at once. When I headed to the restroom, he came in to use the urinal next to me...yeah, I got stage fright!

Yeah, Elle Macpherson was a notable encounter. I saw her while we were both clearing customs / immigration at MYAM (Marsh Harbor, Bahamas). She was all over some guy, kissing his neck and stuff. I didn't recognize her at first, just a super hot chick that looked vaguely familiar. My FO told me who she was and it was like a light bulb went off.

My FO googled the guy we both wished we were and found it to be Billionaire Jeffery Soffer, her new husband. So we both pushed Elle out of the way and we started nuzzling his neck and stuff.
:D

Last edited:
Saw Dolly Parton at LHR back in 1978 while waiting for a flight home. It's all real, folks.

Have a baseball autographed for me by Mickey Mantle. Seems his uncle was a Navy buddy of my dad's and he got this ball for me back in the late 50s. I keep it out of the light because that ballpoint ink is fading with time. Still in it's original box.

I have a copy of Baa Baa Black Sheep autographed by Pappy. Got two copies at an air show in Colorado in the early 1980s. If Mom doesn't have the other then I have it, too.

Sometime in the late '60s walked past Sammy Davis, Jr., as he went from a limo into a night club. Was amazed to see he was exactly the same height as me, 5' 4". I was wearing heels. I don't know if he was.

On a flight in the early '70s, was mistaken for a flight attendant in First Class by Dale Robertson, who asked me to hang up his coat. I did, then settled into the seat in front of him.

Shook hands with Kenny Norton. Almost shook hands with Smokin Joe Frazier, walked by him in an airport after his last fight. His entourage wouldn't let me get close to him. :rolleyes:

Almost shoot hands with Bill Cosby at an airport. He was in a leisure suit, this was back in the 70's. :lol:

I (almost) met Geico once..... Seems he was in Laramie and I was in the hole..... I hear he looks just like a little green lizard.. :D:D:D

I just saved a ton of money by canceling my car insurance.

Back