Pellet grill

Tarheelpilot

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheelpilot
Anyone have any experience with Pitts&Spitts grills out of Texas?

My traeger is on its death bed and I’m looking for the replacement.

Trying to buy domestic. Had been looking at rectec but I think they have exported production.

Nope. I moved to a Masterbuilt gravity series several years ago. As controllable as a pellets smoker, way more versatile though and a lot of accessories available, too.

If I was in the market today, I’d be looking at the MB800 and I’d add the pizza oven.

Pits & Spits are vary well made! If you want to stick to pellets another option is the Yoder YS640. It’s also very well made, and I believe it has a better controller. Both are made in the USA. I have used both and they are both very good pellet grills. Either one will be a “set it and forget it” cooker. Loan Star Grillz is another option I’ve heard nothing but good things about, but I have never actually used one.

Nope. I moved to a Masterbuilt gravity series several years ago. As controllable as a pellets smoker, way more versatile though and a lot of accessories available, too.

If I was in the market today, I’d be looking at the MB800 and I’d add the pizza oven.

My wife bought me a masterbuilt for my birthday last year. I had never heard of the product before. She did her research and I'm very grateful for that. Best cooking experience I've had and all my pellet grill buddies want to use my rig because it tastes superior. I could never use anything but a gravity charcoal unit now.

lemme know when you’re ready for a trial run. I’ll supply some steaks or burgers or whiskey or stogies.

Aby way to move this to Hangar Talk...unless this is an aerobatic grill.

I think the Masterbuilt Gravity stuff is the best of both worlds. Pellet-grill electronic controllability with the flavor that charcoal imparts.
You can get charcoal pellets for a pellet grill and they produce about the same flavor. I believe the op is interested in an American made product. But besides that I personally prefer an offset smoker. You can definitely make some good Q on just about anything, but for me nothing beats an offset! It’s all about ease of use when it comes to any smoker that you have to plug in.

You can get charcoal pellets for a pellet grill and they produce about the same flavor. I believe the op is interested in an American made product. But besides that I personally prefer an offset smoker. You can definitely make some good Q on just about anything, but for me nothing beats an offset! It’s all about ease of use when it comes to any smoker that you have to plug in.
I agree that @Tarheelpilot was looking for American made, but I was also putting it out there that most everyone I've talked to has jumped on the gravity-fed charcoal units from pellet grills. I agree that you can make good Q on any number of grill types if you know what you're doing. However, I don't have the patience to deal with babysitting offset smokers and similar. The pellet/gravity versions are pretty much "set it and forget it". The problem with finding American-made in the gravity-charcoal market is that there aren't a ton of players just yet.

I agree that @Tarheelpilot was looking for American made, but I was also putting it out there that most everyone I've talked to has jumped on the gravity-fed charcoal units from pellet grills. I agree that you can make good Q on any number of grill types if you know what you're doing. However, I don't have the patience to deal with babysitting offset smokers and similar. The pellet/gravity versions are pretty much "set it and forget it". The problem with finding American-made in the gravity-charcoal market is that there aren't a ton of players just yet.

Myron sells one for about 10 AMUs.

I was just typing that. Not sure if it’s made in Georgia but for that price I hope it ia!

Yep. Mad in the USA.

Attachments

• IMG_0292.png
    IMG_0292.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Lol, for the truly discerning American gentleman.

Got some elk heart and tenderloin that needs smoking...

I personally prefer an offset smoker.

However, I don't have the patience to deal with babysitting offset smokers and similar. The pellet/gravity versions are pretty much "set it and forget it".

There is the debate. I'm a bit of purist myself, but not deeply invested (emotionally or financially). I happen to think any company charging $500, $1,000, or more to cook on fuel that amounts to sawdust should include a lifetime supply of that fuel.

There is the debate. I'm a bit of purist myself, but not deeply invested (emotionally or financially). I happen to think any company charging $500, $1,000, or more to cook on fuel that amounts to sawdust should include a lifetime supply of that fuel.
Even the cheap Oklahoma Joes offset smokers (the offshore-produced new ones, not the old US-made ones) are running $500 these days. Going to have to DIY with some old barrels to get into the game cheaply, lol.

Oof. Gateway drum smokers are going for $1200.

I’ve seen teams with 5. It’s pretty common to see teams with 4, one for each contest entry.

IDK-- I guess it kinda depends on how serious you are. I love the simplicity/cost of my pellet smoker (RECTEQ) and more than happy with the quality of Q it produces, but I'm nowhere near a purist-- it's a just a means to an end for me.

Last edited:
There’s a local buddy of mine that owns a smoker mfg company. He can add a pellet system to about anything.

If I bought something from him it would be this, with the pellet feed:

I’ve used it quite a bit over the years. I like the capacity and form factor.

There’s a local buddy of mine that owns a smoker mfg company. He can add a pellet system to about anything.

If I bought something from him it would be this, with the pellet feed:

I’ve used it quite a bit over the years. I like the capacity and form factor.
Kind of reminds me a bit of the HastyBake grills made here in Tulsa. Quality stainless steel units that have been around for decades, but very pricey. I don't think they do any pellet systems though.

Kind of reminds me a bit of the HastyBake grills made here in Tulsa. Quality stainless steel units that have been around for decades, but very pricey. I don't think they do any pellet systems though.
They do look similar on the outside. I don't think I've seen a real live Hasty Bake in the wild, only on Kent Rollins' videos.

The cube has multiple racks for a lot of smoking space, and it's pretty much dedicated as a smoker. I think the Hasty Bake can be used as a grill for either direct or indirect cooking, too.

Back