PBOR2 .. cleared for takeoff?!

I think this just means it's passed all the requirements for it to be brought to the floor in the house/senate for a vote.

Also, I was just reading through the bill and I spotted this in the requirements...
(3) the individual is operating under visual
flight rules or instrument flight rules;
Is there another possibility? Bills are weird.

Any lawyers in the house or anyone stay at a Holiday Inn Express? I am still confused after reading this what effect this will have if passed on people who currently have SIs?

Any lawyers in the house or anyone stay at a Holiday Inn Express? I am still confused after reading this what effect this will have if passed on people who currently have SIs?

I believe that as long as you have a class 3 whether regular or SI within the past 10 years, then you are good to go.

I'm reading through it, but I'm not an Attorney, so I'm still not noticing any provisions for future Pilots. It doesn't define Pilots by ratings necessarily, so maybe you're considered a Pilot by virtue of your obtained medical certificate? :dunno:

No. A medical certificate does not make one a pilot.
A holder of a Student Pilot Certificate is a pilot. There's good reason why the student certificate exists. Just because they're commonly issued with the medical doesn't make them the same thing.

No. A medical certificate does not make one a pilot.
A holder of a Student Pilot Certificate is a pilot. There's good reason why the student certificate exists. Just because they're commonly issued with the medical doesn't make them the same thing.

Thanks for making that distinction.

It's on the Senate calendar now. We can probably (barring some senator who really wants to throw a wrench in things) expect action within a couple of weeks.

Seems that the PBOR2 still has the more restrictive Manchin-Boozeman modifications on it.

What will the checklist for the medical exam involve?

The checklist will have two parts—questions to be answered by the pilot in advance of the exam and a list of items for the doctor to include in the examination. The questions will be similar to those asked in the current third class medical exam and include identifying information like name and address, date of birth, a short medical history and list of current medications, and information about whether you’ve ever had an FAA medical certificate denied, suspended, or revoked.

The items for the doctor to cover in the examination are now part of the third class medical exam and are typical of those found in any physical. These items include:
Head, face, neck, scalp Nose, sinuses, mouth, throat Ears and eardrums
Eyes Lungs and chest Heart
Vascular system Abdomen and viscera Anus
Skin G-U system Upper and lower extremities
Spine, other musculo-skeletal Body marks, scars, tattoos Lymphatics
Neurologic Psychiatric General systemic
Hearing Vision Blood pressure and pulse

And anything else the physician in his or her medical judgment considers necessary.

The doctor will have to indicate that he or she has made the necessary checks, and both the pilot and doctor will need to sign the form.

------

So good luck with having your personal doctor sign a government form, like it is nothing more than your child being able to participate in school gym.:no:

Brought to you by Senator Feinstein, via Sen. Thune.

Essentially the family doc has to sign the back side of the 8500-8 and testify that you have nothing that might interefere with flight safety.

Now, the problem is, after the wreck:

"Tell the court, doctor, of what your aviation medicine credentials and training consist."
"Oh. no residency training in occupational/aviation medicine?"
"Any coursework? And study in aviation medicine?"
"Your honor, I move to remove the defendant from the expert witness list as he has no credentials".....

THIS is the problem. By adding the word "comprehensive" and making the office doc sign the same list of items as we do for 3rd class, Dr. Feinstein has created a definitive liability trail. See (b.)2 in the attachment.

Can you say, "4th class medical"?

Attachments

• S.571(12.15.15).pdf
    345.4 KB · Views: 166
Brought to you by Senator Feinstein, via Sen. Thune.

Essentially the family doc has to sign the back side of the 8500-8 and testify that you have nothing that might interefere with flight safety.

Now, the problem is, after the wreck:

"Tell the court, doctor, of what your aviation medicine credentials and training consist."
"Oh. no residency training in occupational/aviation medicine?"
"Any coursework? And study in aviation medicine?"
"Your honor, I move to remove the defendant from the expert witness list as he has no credentials".....

THIS is the problem. By adding the word "comprehensive" and making the office doc sign the same list of items as we do for 3rd class, Dr. Feinstein has created a definitive liability trail. See (b.)2 in the attachment.

Can you say, "4th class medical"?

Good grief, how our elected officials manage to complicate the simple.

All they really had to do to accomplish essentially the same thing would have been to allow a DOT medical in lieu of an FAA medical for flight operations falling under the enumerated restrictions. The physical itself is essentially identical. The only real difference is that the examiner has more discretion to issue a DOT medical card without it becoming (literally) a federal case.

Personally, I think even that would have been unnecessary. A requirement that the airman possess a driver's license plus undergo an annual physical examination, with no sign-off and no reporting, would at least guarantee that the airman darkened the doorstep of a doctor's office within the past 12 months. The receipt for the exam could be the medical, and the doc's not on the hook for liability.

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back