Paula Abdul plane crash??????

Discussion in 'Aviation Mishaps' started by Possum, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Possum

Possum Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Frank
    Pop singer and dancer Paula Abdul is "opening up" about her 1992 plane crash:

“It all happened when I boarded a seven-seater plane and an hour into the flight one of the engines blew up and the right wing caught fire and everything went black,” she told the crowd (via PEOPLE). “I woke up in the hospital only to find that I had crushed my cervical spine, leaving me partially paralyzed.”

https://www.iheart.com/content/2019...92-plane-crash-during-vegas-residency-opener/

There is a problem with her story.
    "Paula Abdul Keeps Talking About Surviving a Plane Crash for Which No Record Exists"

https://jezebel.com/paula-abdul-keeps-talking-about-surviving-a-plane-crash-1835445212

I figured if anyone could get to the bottom of the story it is the POA crowd. Furthermore, we have enough issues in general aviation and we don't need celebrities inventing stories about 7 seater planes catching on fire and crashing into corn fields.

2. Doug F

Doug F Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    DougG
    A web search turned up this post from 15 years ago. Most of the other hits were from entertainment sites.

3. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    Little known fact: It happened while Brian Willams interviewed her.

Not sure why aviation seems to create those false memories. We have a news anchor and multiple presidential candidates who have either made up or altered aviation stories to make them the hero.

Like so many fish stories there is often a kernel of truth to them: 'I cracked my neck in a turbulence encounter because I didn't wear my seatbelt and ended up an addict from the pain meds' sounds a lot less heroic than her tale.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  4. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    It's impossible for a celebrity to lie about something that has happened to them, so it must be true. Certain details may have been forgotten, of course. And then re-created from whole cloth. The true story could have been "I fell out of bed whilst high on drugs and destroyed my spine", which could easily have been mistaken for a flaming-engine plane crash.

Brad Z and dans2992 like this.
  5. schmookeeg

schmookeeg Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mike Brannigan
    why would everything go black with an engine fire in a twin engined plane?

6. dans2992

dans2992 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dans2992
    Drugs..... :)

Tantalum and Kenny Phillips like this.
  7. eman1200

eman1200 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    I'm guessing she has a new album out or is promoting something. if you notice, actors, musicians, etc always seem to get arrested or end up in the news right around the same time they are promoting something new. it's a tactic they use to get publicity.

James331 likes this.
  8. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    For these type of folks there is no such thing as bad publicity.

9. Brad Z

Brad Z Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    She probably didn't realize that aircraft accidents are things that can easily be looked up and facts verified. Had she said she was in a car crash no one would have doubted her a moment. But even celeb journalists know how to query the NTSB accident database.
    I'm guessing she hit some turbulence on a Beech 1900 and finished the tale in her own drug induced imagination.

10. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    A family member had to bail out while flying a B-25 over Burma during World War 2. He told family members that he was shot down, but I got a copy of his official report years after he passed away, and there was no mention of being shot down, only an engine failure.

11. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
  12. schmookeeg

schmookeeg Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mike Brannigan
    TIL Paula Abdul is a garbage person. I'll need to find my highschool mixtapes and crush them now.

13. topgun260

topgun260 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Topgun260
    I bet magic mushrooms or dropping acid would do that.

14. YooperMooney

YooperMooney Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    YooperMooney
    Credibility issue; Brian Williams was blown out because his nose grew too long to fit on camera.

15. PeterNSteinmetz

PeterNSteinmetz Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    PeterNSteinmetz
  16. SixPapaCharlie

SixPapaCharlie May the force be with you

Display Name:

Display name:
    6PC
  17. 3393RP

3393RP En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    Did you read the part in the NTSB document that said he smoked three packs of cigarettes a day? That's some heavy puffing.

The pressurization system of the plane was found to be heavily contaminated with tobacco tar. Ugh.

Dead at 57 from cancer.

From a news story:

On April 19, 2009, doctors informed Swayze that the cancer had again metastasized to his liver. Swayze had been a heavy smoker for forty years, and he once admitted to smoking 60 cigarettes a day. He stated that his chain smoking probably "had something to do with" the development of his disease. Photos taken of a gaunt Swayze in the months before his death showed him continuing to smoke.

18. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    Maybe. Plus possible interaction to his smoking and the potential for a pressurization problem possibly caused by contamination from cigarette smoke and other mechanical issues.

edit: @3393RP beat me to it.

edit edit:

Here's the final report:
    https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...tID=20001212X21252&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=FA

Probable cause:

>>>
    The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:
    The pilot's physical impairment due to the cumulative effects of carbon monoxide from engine exhaust by-products, carbon monoxide from heavy tobacco use, and the loss of an undetermined amount of cabin pressurization. A factor in the loss of pressurization was a fractured clamp.
    <<<

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  19. Lowflynjack

Lowflynjack En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jack Fleetwood
    It was true and he did something that law enforcement hates. He was drinking when in front of witnesses after the crash. If fact, it was told he was chugging the bottle of wine. They were never able to prove he was drunk when flying. Same thing happens during DWI accidents. They get out and start drinking in front of everyone.

20. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    Or hypoxic.

21. Lindberg

Lindberg En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lindberg
    It must have been an eight seater if there were seven other (unidentified) souls on board as she claims in this interview, where she says the injuries occurred from hitting her head when the plane "plummeted":

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...want-to-talk-too-much-about-it-182841961.html

And she doesn't care what you think, even though she's going to keep talking about it.

22. ateamer

ateamer Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ateamer
    Not surprising. The couple episodes I watched of the talent contest she used to judge (American Idol maybe), she was a completely empty-headed bimbo.

23. N747JB

N747JB Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    That’s the story I got from a mutual friend, he was a very heavy smoker and even in a pressurized airplane like his 414A, you can get a 8-12,000 foot cabin altitude if you go high enough, of the system isn’t fully pressurizing. He was a VFR pilot when he bought the airplane, I don’t know if he ever got his IR.

24. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    upload_2020-3-25_11-48-50.png

25. N747JB

N747JB Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    It was in 1994 when I spoke with him, and I believe at that time he was VFR. He was very nice on the phone, we had matching airplanes and he joked about me not flying west Of the Mississippi, so we wouldn’t be on the same ramp! I had a picture of our planes side by side, but I can’t find it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  26. SC777

SC777 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    SC777
    Hey, at least he closed his flight plan. Give the guy a break.....!

27. Plano Pilot

Plano Pilot Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Plano Pilot
    Looks like the one I took in 2003 at LVS. I got out there a lot 2003-2007 and saw him a few times at the airport, never really talked with him.

test 013.jpg