Paul MacCready

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Not sure if many of you recognize the name, but he has passed away.

MacCready helped revolutionize cross country flight by working out the math of the 'speed to fly' method of cross country flying. faster in sink and slower in lift. He won the US National championship in 48, 49, and 53. Then he got in to working with the Sierra Wave project and set international absolute altitude records. Later life was spent revolutionizing the field of human powered flight. He designed the Gossamer Condor and Penguin, as well as having a hand in NASA's Helios.

A short bio on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Maccready

I remember him from the Gossamer Albatross project. IIRC it's now hanging in the Smithsonian. Another pioneer passes.

I remember him from the Gossamer Albatross project. IIRC it's now hanging in the Smithsonian. Another pioneer passes.
That is how I remember him too. That was one of my all time favorite Nova episodes, the one where he designed, built, had flew (different pilot) that plane.

This is a loss of a pioneer and genius. His memory will not be forgotten with all the "MacCready rings" in so many glider cockpits.

Last edited:
yes lance, unfortunately all the pioneers are dieing

Admittedly, I vaguely recalled the name until more was said. Yes, we're slowly, ever so slowly losing the great men of aviation history.

Sir, Fair weather flying west.

Wow, I didn't see that on the nat'l news today. I remember the Gossamer Albatross, Gossamer Condor -- he was truly a genius. Shame.

Back