Pattern work for fun as non-novice pilot

polaris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
polaris
Pattern work just for fun

One of my favorite flying activities is bouncing around the pattern on high crosswind days. No one else seems to share my passion for this... deeming it pointless, boring, waste of money. The other night, winds were variable 70-110 degrees to one of the runways at my home airport, gusting anywhere from 15-20 kts (max xwind component is 20 kts). I always had an option of landing on a runway with a 20-50 degree crosswind component, so I thought it'd be fun to chose the other runway for practice. It was a blast.

Does anyone else share my enthusiasm for this activity?

Last edited:
I enjoy pattern work and think it's fun, but I'm a noobie and also consider it good practice. with major crosswinds? not so much.

Sorry, but I'd barely be able to walk the next day my legs would be so sore.

Putting a ton of taildragger down in a bad x-wind ain't my idea of fun anymore. :nonod:

could be a lot of fun, testing your abilities and just trying to master each one..

Even more fun is an NDB hold in strong x winds!

After getting my PPL, I used to hate pattern work. Just found it monotonous.

Then a few years ago, I bought my 170 and found that spending 45 minutes a day bouncing around the pattern practicing power off 180s, wheel landings, three points, x-winds...etc could be a blast.

For me it depends alot on the airplane. I don't have much desire to do pattern work in the Baron, but the taildragger is simply a different kind of flying.

I enjoy it as well but since I'm still pretty much a novice at this flying stuff with only 120 hours, I like to do it with a CFI when its above or right at the max x-wind component of the aircraft. So right now, I stick to the stuff below 15 Kts at 90 deg when i'm on my own. I definitely want to feel confident in the 20-25 kt range if possible. Right now, my no flinch factor is anything below 10 kts.

I've always loved spending time in the landing pattern. Luckily, the Navy fosters that enthusiasm and almost every flight ends with a couple laps in the pattern fuel and jet configuration permitting.

It's very much a phase of flight where something can always be improved, especially in a taildragger or challenging airplane/environmentals.

To stay proficient I need to fly the RV-8 a couple times a week. I like the practice.

Second lesson today into working on getting a BFR out of the way after 20+ years. Pretty close to a direct crosswind about 14K with the occasional gust to 20. Had my hands full to say the least. My three landings were best described as extremely ugly with a lot of CFI input. Reminded me of how much I don't remember and need to learn again. Used to love crosswind landings today not so much.

If I had to sum it up I am just behind the plane still. :mad2:

Happens I like the exact same thing. I loved it when I had access to the Luscombe. I would practice landing in a turn and slalom down the runway. Always on the lookout for a crosswind. Best I experienced was about 25G37 direct crosswind. I really learned about taxiing a taildragger in a crosswind on that day! Great fun.

I went up Friday night. Three respectable landings after pulling the throttle to idle abeam the numbers and leaving it there. That's how I have fun in the pattern.

Re: Pattern work just for fun

One of my favorite flying activities is bouncing around the pattern on high crosswind days. No one else seems to share my passion for this... deeming it pointless, boring, waste of money. The other night, winds were variable 70-110 degrees to one of the runways at my home airport, gusting anywhere from 15-20 kts (max xwind component is 20 kts). I always had option of landing on a runway with a 20-50 degree crosswind component, so I thought it'd be fun to chose the other runway for practice. It was a blast.

I personally prefer to do pattern work in tough conditions if I'm going to do it at all (honestly, I spend enough time instructing in the pattern that I typically have little interest in doing pattern work if I'm just out flying for fun). Crosswind landings are sadly seldomly practiced by the average pilot who doesn't fly professionally and it definately shows on flight reviews and rental checkouts I give. I also enjoy doing power off 180's, short field landings, and other stuff like 180 degree slipping appoaches.

Last edited:
I went up Friday night. Three respectable landings after pulling the throttle to idle abeam the numbers and leaving it there. That's how I have fun in the pattern.

I love throwing in a 180, keeps things exciting and its good practice.

I always like to finish with a short landing and make the first turn in less than 1,000' though. :D

Its fun if I'm by myself. My friends' stomachs don't really take that stuff well. But I like a good challenge

I've always loved the challenge of a good crosswind in any airplane but its the most fun in a tailwheel. As a consequence I look at crosswinds as fun. Last time I flew the N3N it was gusting 15-20kts almost direct when I came back and I did 4 landings for the hell of it. Could have used the cross runway but that would be cheating. Don

Yes.

Love working with ATC to fit in between airliners, do a variety of landings and takeoffs, use different runways with varying levels of crosswind. With a good tower controller, it becomes like a ballet, with everyone doing their part.

Sometimes I don't think I'd remember how to fly with electric flaps.

The flap handle in the skywagon is like instant lift or de-lift. I use it in all kinds of ways that's probably different than any electric flaps.

The manual flap handle and 40 degrees of flaps makes flying one of these birds a hell of a lot of fun. I love pattern work on a pretty day. Any flying on a pretty day. :)

One of my favorite flying activities is bouncing around the pattern on high crosswind days. No one else seems to share my passion for this... deeming it pointless, boring, waste of money. The other night, winds were variable 70-110 degrees to one of the runways at my home airport, gusting anywhere from 15-20 kts (max xwind component is 20 kts). I always had an option of landing on a runway with a 20-50 degree crosswind component, so I thought it'd be fun to chose the other runway for practice. It was a blast.

I enjoy it quite a bit, but only when I'm cleared for the option. I need to get out and do more crosswind landings. I used to be a pretty good all the way up to the airplanes limits. I just haven't done them in so long, it might take 1 or 2 to get back into it.

Even more fun is an NDB hold in strong x winds!
I like flying NDB's. I don't think I would like flying NDB's after something like that.

I find great enjoyment and entertainment in an hour or so in the pattern even in a cross wind, but 15 to 20 knot variable, cross wind in my little tail dragger and then calling it fun? I'll leave that for John Wayne.

That said, my hat's off to you for getting such serious practice.

Sometimes I don't think I'd remember how to fly with electric flaps.

The flap handle in the skywagon is like instant lift or de-lift. I use it in all kinds of ways that's probably different than any electric flaps.

The manual flap handle and 40 degrees of flaps makes flying one of these birds a hell of a lot of fun. I love pattern work on a pretty day. Any flying on a pretty day. :)

Yep, I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to my emergency brake handle.:D

Gaack. I had to do some pattern work to reestablish currency the other day. First time since I got my PPL. Hopefully it'll be my last. To each his (or her) own.

Gaack. I had to do some pattern work to reestablish currency the other day. First time since I got my PPL. Hopefully it'll be my last. To each his (or her) own.
You never had to do any for previous flight reviews?

I run across guys like you from time to time. No clue how to fly a nice pattern, B52 approaches and picking up the wreckage of the side of the runway in a mild crosswind. The only way to be a good competent pilot is to practice. Do yourself a favor and I hope your post was sarcasm. Don

Yes.

Love working with ATC to fit in between airliners, do a variety of landings and takeoffs, use different runways with varying levels of crosswind. With a good tower controller, it becomes like a ballet, with everyone doing their part.

Or go to a Delta with a couple-er-three runways and three-er-four training operations (including helos) - then it's more like break dancing...

I love a good high-wind day to go shoot crosswinds, I really enjoy the challenge of it. My partner in the 172 cannot figure out for the life of him why I enjoy it and keeps asking me why I do them.

Most of the time we have a good option for a better runway - but one day the option might not be there, and you'll have to do it for real with passengers. Wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to match the requirement? Gee, I dunno... just sayin'... :yes:

If I wanted to go in circles, I would tie a rope around my waist. loop it to a flag pole and run. I use an airplane to go places. Around in circles is not places.

I love a good high-wind day to go shoot crosswinds, I really enjo the challenge of it. My partner in the 172 cannot figure out for the life of him why I enjoy it and keeps asking me why I do them.

Most of the time we have a good option for a better runway - but one day the option might not be there, and you'll have to do it for real with passengers. Wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to match the requirement? Gee, I dunno... just sayin'... :yes:

Your partner sounds like alot of what is wrong with the recreational side of flying-pilots who don't make every effort to be as proficient as they can and don't occasionally step out of their comfort zone to the extent that is safely possible.Keep doing what you're doing.

I doesn't seem to take much wind to toss an R22 about, especially when trying to hover in ground effect. I spend an hour or two every month or so just practicing hover taxiing, set downs, pick ups and pedal turns - especially if there are some decent, variable gusts. I'm a low mileage pilot and figure I need to constantly expose myself to the part of helicopter flying that causes the most 'pucker-moments'. I used to hate cross winds, but I'm gradually perfecting yaw control. Still a bit scary sometimes.

I like to go to a non towered airport,to practice cross wind landings. Also like to do short field T/O and landings. Practice makes for a better pilot.

I've always been a naive sort of fellow and I suppose I have learned of more of my own naivete by reading this thread.

I thought that all pilots did practice landings from time to time.

I can understand how some pilots see their plane as transportation and fly it primarily for that reason. It seems to me though, that those flying lots of long GA trips would see even MORE need to practice cross wind landings for two reasons:

First off with all that straight and level flying, they aren't getting much landing practice so it would seem that they would want to stay at a high level of proficiency.

Secondly, if someone flies long distances, it would seem that weather conditions could more easily be different from what was forecast, and the requirement for a cross wind landing would be more likely.

Please don't anyone take this post as criticism. It is only my own rookie and naive thoughts regarding the need for cross wind proficiency.

After getting my PPL, I used to hate pattern work. Just found it monotonous.

Then a few years ago, I bought my 170 and found that spending 45 minutes a day bouncing around the pattern practicing power off 180s, wheel landings, three points, x-winds...etc could be a blast.

For me it depends alot on the airplane. I don't have much desire to do pattern work in the Baron, but the taildragger is simply a different kind of flying.

100% agree - I regularly get in 10 landings on the grass in the Citabria - not so much in the twin - 6 gallons/ hour auto gas vs 15-20 gph 100ll has a bit to do with that also!

There was a fatal accident here at TWF around 10-12 years ago. Wind was a direct 90 degree x wind on the main runway and 60 degrees on the cross runway 25 gusting to 40kts. I landed a Mooney and it was extremely turbulent and took every bit of control to get it down. Three guys in a 182RG came in and as he started to flare drifted off the runway. He tried to go around but he was nose high behind the power curve and flew in ground effect right into a fuel truck. Not much left after the fire. If he had just let the nose down a touch he would have been able to accelerate and climb but it looked like he just froze on the controls. Two doctors and a contracter were killed. They owned the airplane and were all pilots. You really need to practice this stuff guys so you don't end up a statistic. Departing the runway in a crosswind is something like 60% of landing accidents. Don

I typically will not go up just to do pattern work, xwind or otherwise. Hanging out in the pattern is not my favorite. I will do XC flights routinely, even if just to a nearby airport to stay current. Since I fly out of KBJC and fly to KRAP several times a year, staying proficient in strong winds is absolutely essential.

One thing I do a couple times a year is to get some recurrent training with a local instructor who does a lot of landing / xwind instruction. The cross wind sim is great since the total exposure in an hour session is far more than I would obtain in several hours of pattern work. He also provides some valuable reminders on why things go wrong (failure to "fly the plane" until tied down, failure to be prepared for the go around, etc).

Back