Pattern "B", anyone?

You did say PC:mad2: I typically surf PoA with my iPad

How would I set that up on the autopilot?

:rofl::rofl:

I wish I knew how many times I have hand flown all those patterns. IMHO they are a great tool for practicing the transitions of configuration you need to get smooth at to be comfortable in the soup.

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl:

I wish I knew how many times I have hand flown all those patterns. IMHO they are a great tool for practicing the transitions of configuration you need to get smooth at to be comfortable in the soup.

Yeah, my CFII started me out with A, B and "C" patterns, over and over and over again.... I think they're why my instrument training got off to such a slow start...I hated doing them and It was tough for me to give up a nice day to put foggles on and fly around in ciricles doing something that "wouldn't be on the test" I know, I know.

Yeah, I'm not understanding where these patterns were supposedly "lost" at, copies of the things, and had to fly them all the time in the sim back at the aviation college in the early 90s, and I know they're still using them from talking to modern-day students there.

The sims they had back then had pen plotters... it was real easy to see if you did them right or screwed them up if the whole pattern was "shifted" (winds), or legs weren't straight. I think their current setups just have displays, which is too bad... since you can't look at a display a day or two later and have an "a-ha" moment when you're scrounging through your flight bag and realize what's wrong with one of them.

Very first CFI also had me doing these (without a hood on) during the Private. Utilized more as a smoothness and "learn to hold headings looking outside" maneuver for that, than as an Instrument prep. They're effective as a way to "mix it up" versus just doing the same old ground-reference maneuvers.

Are there really places that aren't using them anymore? I know Jesse didn't utilize them for our Instrument work, but he had other techniques... which work well for him (and me, apparently... GRIN!).

It's also quite useful to do these when NOT set up directly over a handy VOR, but to do it off of some arbitrary waypoint away from the VOR that you have to find with cross-radials... that'll keep you busy... unless you have DME... that makes it a lot simpler. :)

Yeah, I'm not understanding where these patterns were supposedly "lost"...

Are there really places that aren't using them anymore?
Both Pattern "A" and "B" are no longer in the Instrument Flying Handbook. The FAA leads the way, for better or worse, so without them published they will vanish from aviation's lexicon. It's too bad, I say. :(

dtuuri

Ahhh I understand the "lost" references now. Thanks.

What newfangled thing did they replace them with in the interests of adding to safety and more effective learning per their charter?

Wait... don't answer that. I'm afraid I don't want to know the answer. :(

So if one wanted to find the patterns for use... Where would you get them? Dogans book?
Is dog an the right name for the instrument instruction book?

So if one wanted to find the patterns for use... Where would you get them? Dogans book?
Is dog an the right name for the instrument instruction book?

I'll see if I can dig up photocopies in old stuff in the basement for you after home from Gaston's. If I forget, remind me. I can scan and e-mail, or post, or whatever, if they didn't get tossed in the last Great Basement Purge. :)

Pattern A and Pattern B for your reading and flying enjoyment. :D

Attachments

• faa_maneuver_pattern-a.pdf
    13.1 KB · Views: 55
  • faa_maneuver_pattern-b.pdf
    14.2 KB · Views: 51
Dave- can you please elucidate the "save your life" part of the Pattern B practice?

Dave- can you please elucidate the "save your life" part of the Pattern B practice?
Indeed. Pattern "B" isn't good for only instrument-pilots-to-be and saving them money. It can strengthen the skills of VFR pilots by teaching them patience while maintaining orientation until they can extricate themselves from an inadvertant encounter with IMC conditions. It's an acquired self-discipline, for instance when making a 180° turn in the clouds, not having a tendency to rush and thus risking overbanking and losing control and or the sense of direction. Tracking radials, as in my version of the pattern, while keeping upright at the same time by refering only to instruments, is the acid test for situational awareness. If you can do both, you can escape with your life.

dtuuri

We had Pattern A and B in our sylabus and I was never a fan. Spent a ton of time with the repeated 1 minute legs and didn't accomplish as much as just me playing ATC and telling the guy, "Okay, give me a 120 heading level at 3,500"....sgi (student gets it), "okay, give me a 500 fpm climb to 4,500 and turn right to 180"...sgi, "okay give me a turn to 270 and climb to 5,000 at 75kts"...sgi, ect ect ect.

Don't get me wrong. The A and B were used and I followed syllabus, but I seemed to have better results by just playing ATC and focusing in on areas that needed work. A & B were so rigid that it took forever and corrections weren't made until the debrief, imo.

Back