past TBO engine, great compressions, what does that mean

I watched a teardown on a Continental IO520 from a Cessna 210. The engine had a little over 2800 hours since overhaul.

It was gleaming and beautiful inside, pretty much looked like new (the cylinders were all but one at 1900 hours since overall). The A&P/IA who is supervising the teardown checked bearings and tolerances, and pronounce that, had been a prop strike inspection, he would have bolted it back together and comfortably counseled at least another thousand hours. All measurable tolerances were still within new limits. The engine was simply being overhauled because of the number of hours on it, something which, perhaps, was not needed. Good maintenance, clean oil.

You pays your money, you takes your chances…

yup.....Mike's concepts in his book are very common in other industries. RCM has been very good to me....:D

With the advent of engine monitors in GA RCM and "on condition" maintenance is now possible. Other industries have been doing this for decades....to include airlines, industrial machinery, power plant (nuke industry)....and many others. The concepts are not new.....just new to GA.

How do you feel about it without engine monitors? Just curious. I have no dog in this procedural fight.

How do you feel about it without engine monitors? Just curious. I have no dog in this procedural fight.
for a normally aspirated non-fuel injected engine.....meh, over kill for the money.

Not saying I wouldn't want one, just information ....without the ability to change any of the monitoring parameters. And leaning a NA carb'd engine is very simple....not that the monitor will change any of that. Lean till rough with open throttle and a smiggen of carb heat....all while losing 2-3 kts on the airspeed.

Back