Past medical records for 3rd class

V

Vic

Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready to initiate the process to get my initial 3rd class medical to begin flight training for my private pilot license. Before I consult with a local AME, I'm curious about the requirement of obtaining medical records for past surgeries.

Specifically, I had ACL repair surgery 20 yrs ago, had a shoulder surgery 25 yrs ago, and had a second shoulder surgery 6 yrs ago. I am fine now and have had zero follow up since the surgeries.

Will I be required to obtain medical records and provide them to the AME? As you can see, a couple of these surgeries were a long time ago, so tracking down records will not be easy. Heck, I can't even recall who the physicians were 20 plus years later.

So what's the consensus or opinion of the group? I figured I would do a consult with an AME to discuss all of this in advance but was curious what the group thought.

Thanks in advance

joint surgeries in the past - no problems. No records needed!

AME reports normal ROM and power, and good recovery and issues the certificate...:)

AME reports normal ROM and power, and good recovery and issues the certificate...:)
This.

True story example.

Due to having an SI for a while (unrelated), I got used to bringing a bunch of stuff to my AME. So after I had a hip replacement, I brought a notebook filled with reports and handed it to him. "What's this?" he asked. When I told him, he handed it back to me, saying, "you walked in here, didn't you?"

A third class is pretty cursory - they are looking for anything overt, plus the medical history you supply. No drug testing, no blood work. BP, heart, pee on the litmus, etc. If the joints you had repaired all work, more or less, no worries.

Assuming surgeries are the ONLY history. Some students have a remote history of being given drugs such as ADHD or depression or anxiety meds by their family doctor after being diagnosed with a normal reaction to attending public school a disorder that turns out they don't have.

Also if you have at any time in the past been arrested for an alcohol or drug related offense or any motor vehicle violation related to alcohol even if the record was "expunged", no that does not mean it no longer exists and it never happened and you can answer "no" to the question.

If either of those apply it is very important to find out first what you need to do about it before opening the application with the FAA.

Not assuming OP has these just mentioning them because so many people get tripped up by them.

If he had should surgey 25 years ago- he was probably a kid long before the adhd millennial epidemic

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back