Past Lives and FAA Medical

Time will tell, Ken, for each of us.

-Rich

Not if it just "ends". We won't be any the wiser...

Ponder this thought for a moment and see where it leads you.

You are sitting at your computer reading this. You see the screen and are comprehending what you see. You are conscious of everything around you. You cannot, however, put yourself in someone else's head and see what they see. They, one the other hand, have the same experience you do. They are aware of their surroundings, but cannot put themselves in your head. I'm sitting here typing this, fully aware of my surroundings. And wondering, why is this consciousness here and now? What is it that makes me "me"?

I don't think it was a random act over a period of a few billion years.

I don't think it was a random act over a period of a few billion years.

I'm a geologist. I don't think it was a random act over a period of a few billion years either. I think it was more like a googol of random acts over those few billion years.... influenced by another few googols of random acts over a few billion years that proceeded the formation of the solar system.

Once you accept all the scientific evidence for "deep time", and really wrap your mind around just how long the time involved is, the randomness of it all becomes a lot more evident.

If our species can keep from making itself extinct, in another 200 years our current understanding of the universe will seem incredibly quaint.

Jeff

I'm a geologist. I don't think it was a random act over a period of a few billion years either. I think it was more like a googol of random acts over those few billion years.... influenced by another few googols of random acts over a few billion years that proceeded the formation of the solar system.

Once you accept all the scientific evidence for "deep time", and really wrap your mind around just how long the time involved is, the randomness of it all becomes a lot more evident.

If our species can keep from making itself extinct, in another 200 years our current understanding of the universe will seem incredibly quaint.

Jeff

Can your species change the FAA's perception on private pilot compensation?

Can your species change the FAA's perception on private pilot compensation?

The FAA exists in a different universe than we mere mortals can recognize. Their concepts of time, cost and risk are too different for there to be any other explanation.

Hello. OP here.

I want to thank everyone who responded. Some of you seemed to connect with what I was saying, perhaps we knew each other in a previous incarnation. And yes I was sort of being playful with the second question, but the first one was sincere. I'll tell you how that got sorted out in a minute.

To those who made light of my story, well, it made me a bit angry, to be quite honest. Like someone said, my beliefs are no odder than other religious beliefs, and they're no stranger than much of what mainstream psychology professes. But I chose not to respond in anger to those who mocked. My task for this life is to learn self-discipline after all, so holding my tongue was an exercise to that end.

Now for the medical: I decided to just ask the AME what he thought I should do. He thought about it and said it sounded like religious counseling to him, which is what some people here also said. The AME said the fact that the therapist had a license didn't matter. The way he put it, the fact that a therapist may paint houses on the side doesn't mean that every house she paints is psychotherapy.

He did talk to me for a long time, though, asking me questions about all sorts of things, including my past lives. In the end, he gave me my Third Class Medical and wished my luck!

So thanks again for the help, and to those who mocked me, I forgive you. I wish you all many blessings in this and future incarnations!

-J.J.

Hello. OP here.

I want to thank everyone who responded. Some of you seemed to connect with what I was saying, perhaps we knew each other in a previous incarnation. And yes I was sort of being playful with the second question, but the first one was sincere. I'll tell you how that got sorted out in a minute.

To those who made light of my story, well, it made me a bit angry, to be quite honest. Like someone said, my beliefs are no odder than other religious beliefs, and they're no stranger than much of what mainstream psychology professes. But I chose not to respond in anger to those who mocked. My task for this life is to learn self-discipline after all, so holding my tongue was an exercise to that end.

Now for the medical: I decided to just ask the AME what he thought I should do. He thought about it and said it sounded like religious counseling to him, which is what some people here also said. The AME said the fact that the therapist had a license didn't matter. The way he put it, the fact that a therapist may paint houses on the side doesn't mean that every house she paints is psychotherapy.

He did talk to me for a long time, though, asking me questions about all sorts of things, including my past lives. In the end, he gave me my Third Class Medical and wished my luck!

So thanks again for the help, and to those who mocked me, I forgive you. I wish you all many blessings in this and future incarnations!

-J.J.

OP, I suspect that most of those that mock you do no do so because of your belief system, rather, than any realm outside of the physical would be germaine to an FAA medical.

Anyway, congrats on your medical.

I...it is hard to argue that someone is insane just because their beliefs don't align with yours...
On the contrary, isn't that the most common reason to consider someone insane ? To bring this back to an aviation example, I'd never fly across lake michigan in a C-172. Anyone who would is insane.

On the contrary, isn't that the most common reason to consider someone insane ? To bring this back to an aviation example, I'd never fly across lake michigan in a C-172. Anyone who would is insane.

Personally, I think anyone flying anything as pug-ugly as a Skyhawk is insane, but to each his own.

Congrats to the OP on his medical. I do think the reincarnation thing is a bit loonier than most Western religions, which depend more on magic of the past than the present. But from my perspective they're all a bit looney, so what's the difference?

Hello everyone!

This is the OP, and I just wanted to let everyone know that I passed my checkride earlier this month and am now a Private Pilot, ASEL. Thank you to everyone who helped and encouraged me, despite thinking that my beliefs were a bit odd.

One kind of funny thing did happen. A couple of times during the oral exam and the checkride I called the DPE "Steve." His actual name was "Bob." I corrected myself of course, and he told me that a lot of people seemed to call him Steve, and had ever since he was a kid.

Also, my little daughter took an immediate liking to him and reached out her arms for him to hold her, which is kind of unusual for her. She's usually shy around new people.

So I wonder if maybe the three of us knew each other in a previous incarnation and it was kind of a reunion? That does seem to happen a lot.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help!

Hello everyone!

This is the OP, and I just wanted to let everyone know that I passed my checkride earlier this month and am now a Private Pilot, ASEL. Thank you to everyone who helped and encouraged me, despite thinking that my beliefs were a bit odd.

One kind of funny thing did happen. A couple of times during the oral exam and the checkride I called the DPE "Steve." His actual name was "Bob." I corrected myself of course, and he told me that a lot of people seemed to call him Steve, and had ever since he was a kid.

Also, my little daughter took an immediate liking to him and reached out her arms for him to hold her, which is kind of unusual for her. She's usually shy around new people.

So I wonder if maybe the three of us knew each other in a previous incarnation and it was kind of a reunion? That does seem to happen a lot.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help!

Congratulations.

-Rich

It's good to know other people remember their past lives. I can remember the time when my father and I were escaping from a labyrinth and I flew too close to the sun and my wings melted. I don't remember anything of that life after I hit the sea though.

In that case, did the FAA make you take a 709 ride in this incarnation? I see a few violations here: the aircraft was not IFR equipped and you presumably flew it into class A airspace. The airworthiness directives were obviously not complied with (which is why the wings burned). You likely were not using supplemental oxygen, and I'm guessing you didnt have the proper pfd's and flares for flight over open water.

Last edited:

So I wonder if maybe the three of us knew each other in a previous incarnation and it was kind of a reunion?
Religious beliefs or not, try acting like a parent and protect your children from strangers.

Congrats on your license, please yield to the Valkyrie when they take me to Valhalla.

Congrats to the OP on his ticket. My apologies on the way you were initially treated in this, its just we aren't used to seeing such cultural references, and I think everyone thought you were pulling our legs. Your patience and forbearing reflects well on your karma.

Hope you stick around and let us know how it goes. Personally, I think I must have been a skunk in my previous life.

Congrats to the OP on his ticket. My apologies on the way you were initially treated in this, its just we aren't used to seeing such cultural references, and I think everyone thought you were pulling our legs. Your patience and forbearing reflects well on your karma.

Hope you stick around and let us know how it goes. Personally, I think I must have been a skunk in my previous life.

I completely agree with that. I also must admit to still allowing for the slight possibility that this was the all-time masterpiece of gag posts, but I doubt it. I believe that the OP was sincere -- and also was more patient with us than we deserved.

-Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back