Past flights that left an impression - IFR motivation

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I was looking at my old pilot logbook and found an entry from a few years ago. 8 25 1987, Atikokan Ont. C172 C-FZYR
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...640224&spn=0.003154,0.008594&t=h&z=17&iwloc=C

I was returning to the Toronto area from a sightseeing trip to the Rockies. The weather had come down as I pushed east, and I'd only made as far as N Lake Superior before low ceilings and rainshowers forced me, a vfr private pilot at the time, to find a safe haven. I was pretty jumpy flying in this area as it was only bush and lakes; you followed the highway for the most part, and hoped the worst didn't happen. Most Ontario pilots referred to the area as the Lk Superior Triangle because so many aircraft had disappeared, swallowed up by either the bush or the lakes over the years.
The rain was hitting the window pretty heavy now and starting to obscure my view of the single runway surrounded by trees. I remember trying to recall if the optical illusion made you drag it in too low or end up too high - must have worked out as I landed ok! Found a hotel in town (absolute dive, complete with crawling bugs) and some food (it didn't quite kill us). Ended up staying 2 nights waiting for weather to clear up.
The reason I recall this trip was because during it the moment occurred in which I knew I really, really, really had to get an instrument rating sometime. Not so much because I was weather-stayed but because that first morning while hanging around the airport, I was standing outside in the swirling fog and rain - and heard, but did not see, a light twin blow right over the field at a couple hundred feet, then disappear again. About 45 mins later, an Apache emerged from the goo and landed, and I got to talk to the pilot in the fbo. He was an attorney from Thunder Bay and had a court case to go to in Atikokan. I remember him saying "I knew I would eventually get in". The feeling I got was that he knew the local weather, and had been following the situation, figured it would clear up at about that time, that he should plan his arrival just then. He only had to go missed once, then hold for a while before his prediction came true. I thought it was all pretty cool and realized right then how much it improved an airplane's utility. I had another long 24 hours to think about it I guess, as my log says I did a short hop to check the conditions the next day, but did not actually clear out til later in the afternoon. The right combination of $ and airplane, to get my ir, did not arise til many years later but that memory kept burning until I got it.

Hmmm....

...there was this time, shortly after I got my Certificate, when we flew to Cibolo Creek Ranch for an abbreviated after-Christmas holiday- our first "airplane trip." Cherokee Archer II N2935S, a very nice Cherokee.

We flew west on the 26th December, 2002, under high clouds (incomprehensibly high, to me- over 8,000'!), and inevitably into clear skies in west Texas. After several fabulously pleasant days at CCR, we headed home (29th, I think, but my logbooks are in Dallas, while I am not). After a quick and unplanned stop at E38 (Alpine, TX, "Dad, I have to go bad!"), we headed east, toward a declining layer of clouds.

We stopped at SJT (San Angelo) so I could check on the weather again (there was an actual Flight Service Station!), and determined that getting into Dallas was questionable, but that we could easily head east until the ceilings became a problem, with many appropriate places to stop along the way.

As it worked out, we stopped at Granbury, TX, an accomodating place with crew cars, reastaurants and lodging as required. At that point, Dallas had ceilings of 1,100 or so, too low for me to fly in (in my view). After eating supper, we checked the Wx one last time before checking into a hotel, and the ceiling had gone up enough that, after verifying my still-fresh recollection that, in class Bravo airspace, "clear of clouds" was sufficient and legal, we launched on in.

I was, at times, dancing with the cloud bottoms, but got in just fine, and tat was when I knew I had to go ahead and get that IR, with which the entire adventure would have been no issue at all, and I called Ted (my instructor) the next day.

Now, of course, the IR ensures that I always complete my mission, without controversy or care, regardless of the weather upon departure, destination, or anywhere along the way.

Now, of course, the IR ensures that I always complete my mission, without controversy or care, regardless of the weather upon departure, destination, or anywhere along the way.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Am I the only one that didn't have to get into muck before I knew I wanted the IR? I always knew I was going to do the instrument after the Private. I got my first actual before I even had 10 hours TT, and by the time I went for my private checkride I had about 2.5 actual for my 3 instrument hours.

I dunno, it was just never even a question for me.

When I fist got my own airplane (Bonanza) I hadn't finished my IR yet and things kept getting in the way. On a trip home from a client visit in Madison WI, I tried to beat a snowstorm and gave up about 60 miles from home due to a wall of snow just ahead. At cruise speee this was about 25 minutes out. After landing I got my partner to drive down and pick us up but due to the snow plus rush hour it took him nearly 5 hours to arrive and by then the snow was so bad it took even longer to drive back home. So 20-25 minutes turned into almost 11 hours and that's not counting another 3 hours to retrieve the plane a couple days later. I "found" time to complete the IR right after that.

A few months earlier I got stuck in Florida for about a week waiting for VMC to get home, but I didn't mind that at all.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Am I the only one that didn't have to get into muck before I knew I wanted the IR? I always knew I was going to do the instrument after the Private. I got my first actual before I even had 10 hours TT, and by the time I went for my private checkride I had about 2.5 actual for my 3 instrument hours.

I dunno, it was just never even a question for me.
I started on the IR about the time I had 125 hrs but I kept getting too busy with work and other things and had to start over thee times. By the time I got done I had close to 300 hrs. I even had to take the written twice.

Oh, I never doubted I'd get the IR, but the actual impact on our trip, when it was blatantly obvious that even a basic instrument pilot could have completed the trip without difficulty or controversy, accelerated the program considerably.

Line #2 (yes, that's lesson #2) in my log book:

9/9/07, PA-24-180, IPT - PIT - IPT. 2.7 SEL, 1.0 actual.

My instructor knew after the first lesson that I was a candidate for flying addiction, and that I'd be the sort who would go for all the ratings. My instructor is frequently a good judge of these situations, as evidenced by the fact that today I'm a CP-ASEL & AMEL-IA.

At the end of the first lesson, I asked when the next lesson was, and he asked what I was doing the next day. The answer was driving to PIT to pick up my fiancee at the time. Well gee, that seems like a waste of time. Let's just fly there instead! What better way to spend a lesson than to show first hand the benefits of flying? In 2.7 hours of flight time (probably 3.5 hours total with sitting on the ground, etc.) we managed to do what would have taken me 9-10 hours total.

I didn't know enough then to have memories of what exactly we did and what the weather conditions were exactly, but it came down to a simple IFR flight that would have been impossible VFR. On our way there, he said "See, this is why you need your instrument rating." I agreed.

It was reinforced by other experiences (not making it to Gaston's last year, etc.), but from lesson #2, I was sold.

Since I learned to fly in the San Francisco Bay Area getting the IFR was something that was suggested and on my mind from the beginning. Of course I didn't get it until about 4 years and 2 states later...

Got stuck on top with rising cumulus surrounding me at 12,000' or so in an Archer II. There was nowhere to go. I flew over a hole and spiraled down to below cloudbase. If the hole had closed, I would have been a statistic. I was scared. My next flight was my first instrument lesson.

I had 73.5 hours in airplanes (plus ~600 hours glider) when this occured.

Back