Passport required?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Do we need a passport to move in and out of the US to Canada?

Last edited:
So far as I know in Blaine, WA, you will need either a US passport or birth certificate as a form of valid ID when returning from Canada into the US. That information is a few weeks old, though. If I can find a link that has more current information, I'll post it.

Thanks. It is for my sis, a Canadian citizen who is traveling here at xmas.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Do we need a passport to move in and our of the US to Canada?

Simple answer is no. The requirement deadline for passports was extended. According to the Department of State
The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States.

I was Canada earlier this week. I use my passport as I travel internationally pretty extensively, but while I was waiting in line at passport control American citizens were entering Canada with a birth certificate, they also we reentering the US with the same.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thanks. It is for my sis, a Canadian citizen who is traveling here at xmas.

Oops I did not see it is for a Canadian. I am not sure for them.

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:

I have gone into Canada and back many times, and never been asked for a passport or birth certificate. In fact, they often don't even ask for ID. Just "Where ya from, where ya goin', what purpose, do you have any firearms, have a nice trip." I even know a Brit who got across at Niagara by faking an American accent.

FWIW, I've crossed at Niagara (both the bridge at the falls and the Queenston-Lewiston), I-91, I-89, I-81, Sarnia/Port Huron (Blue Water Bridge) and Windsor/Detroit (the bridge but not the tunnel).

That said, it doesn't hurt to follow the Boy Scout motto either. Or call ahead to Customs at the point of crossing and ask.

Got this form INS

Travel from within the Western Hemisphere (North, Central or South America)

Visitors/Non-immigrants:
  • Generally, a valid, unexpired passport and visa. However, certain classes may require specific supporting documentation such as an employment petition, student authorization, or approval notice.
  • Nationals of countries authorized to participate in the *Visa Waver program are required to present an unexpired machine-readable passport. For additional information refer to the State Department at ( Visa Waiver Program - State Department )
  • Nationals of countries authorized to participate in the Guam visa Waiver Program are required to present an unexpired passport.
  • Mexicans may provide a valid DSP-150 (BCC) in lieu of a valid passport and visa
  • Generally, Canadian Nationals must show ID but are exempt from passport and visa requirements. However presentation of a Canadian passport, birth certificate, Naturalization certificate or other supporting documentation will facilitate the inspection and is strongly encouraged.
I hope that helps. I would also clal INS at the border crossing and find out what the latest is.

I've been to Canada 4 times (three different crossing points) since July 5th, and believe me, you'll get a lot more scrutiny if you don't have a passport, especially in Montreal (Dorval Airport). Last came across on 17 November.

I was in Quebec back in October (coming from and going to VT) and the US boarder partol guy was like:

Why did you go to Canada?
Where are you from?
What are you doing here (Canada & VT) from NC?
Who rented the car?
Pop the trunk!!!!!
Take my picture and I confiscate your camer!!!!! (all I was doing was putting it in the case)

So I think it would be easier if you had a passport.

Let'sgoflying! said:

Drivers license always worked for me. "Where ya goin?...OK"...Both directions even with Canadians in the vehicle.

The amounbt of scrutiny you depends on a lot of factors. I am a frequent interantional traveller. My extend page passport, 48 pages, is already half filled since I got it 22 months ago. When I come back into the US I have hardly ever been questioned. They scan my passport and welcome me back. The obly time US customs and immegration has harrased me was one Christmas when I was coming home from Beijing. I had flown to Japan and then to Honolulu since I could not get any other flights direct to the maniland. I had claimed 0$ of goods purchased abroad and the guy kept questioning me as to why I had put that down, "didn't you even get a T-shirt?" was one of his questions. I said look at my passport, I have been to Beijing 13 times, I have already bought everything form there I could have wanted. He let me go then.

Going into Canada I have had a much different expierence. For some reason flying into Canada, whether it be Dorval, Pearson, Calgary, or Vancouver the Candian guys really harras me. I get asked 20 question on what I am doing there. The big problem comes when they ask me if I have brought in any items for business. I interpretted that as samples and such, some times they mean that to be pager, cellphone, laptop, etc. Then the next time when I put that stuff down they chastise me and say that is not what the question means. Now I just leave it blank and let them decide what should go in.

Thanks Scott. No passport. I was on that page but they sure make it hard to find those words! This is the info she is getting N of the border as well.

Whether or not it's required, a passport is a good idea for just about anybody if you're gonna cross a border.

If not, she'll need some proof of her citizenship, a government issued photo ID, and if her name has changed (marriage) some government documentation of that.

From passport canada http://www.ppt.gc.ca/

Though passports are the document of choice for travel, Canadian citizens do not currently require a passport to travel to the United States. However, Passport Canada encourages Canadians who are considering travelling outside Canada to obtain a passport, as it is the most widely accepted proof of Canadian identity and citizenship.

In April 2005, the United States Government announced the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005. After further review, it was recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005 phase would be problematic for travellers.

On September 1, 2005, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative proposal was formally submitted for public comment. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all U.S. citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and citizens of Canada and Mexico to have a passport or other accepted secure document that establishes the bearer's identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States by January 1, 2008.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

* December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
* December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

smigaldi said:
My extend page passport, 48 pages, is already half filled since I got it 22 months ago.

Sounds familiar. I don't have the extended pages (yet). Passport is 3 years old and has 3 pages left. It's off getting another visa for China (meetings in Shanghai next month) and having pages added. 6-8 weeks to have pages added unless you pay a $60 fee for expedited service. Needless to say, my employer is paying the $60.

Ghery said:
Sounds familiar. I don't have the extended pages (yet). Passport is 3 years old and has 3 pages left. It's off getting another visa for China (meetings in Shanghai next month) and having pages added. 6-8 weeks to have pages added unless you pay a $60 fee for expedited service. Needless to say, my employer is paying the $60.

Us standards guys know about travel. I went to the extended lenght passport thsi time because after getting the regular size passport and two sets of extra pages. The INS told me that I could no longer get any more pages added. I had to renew early to get the open page.

Just got back form Beijing, I much prefer Shaghai. I am almost done for the year with travel. One more trip and then I get to stay home for 3 weeks straight. WooHoo!!

smigaldi said:
Us standards guys know about travel. I went to the extended lenght passport thsi time because after getting the regular size passport and two sets of extra pages. The INS told me that I could no longer get any more pages added. I had to renew early to get the open page.

Just got back form Beijing, I much prefer Shaghai. I am almost done for the year with travel. One more trip and then I get to stay home for 3 weeks straight. WooHoo!!

We sure do know about travel. I've had standards and regulatory meetings this year in Singapore, Puerto Rico, Japan, Brazil and South Africa. Shanghai the week of December 12 (leave Seattle on the 12th, get home on the 16th) for in-house meetings. Then nothing international until the end of February (unless another planned, but unscheduled, trip to Brazil finally materializes). That will be a trip to Malaysia. Germany in May. Sweden in September. Domestic travel doesn't stop, however.

My wife went with me to South Africa, but she had to go through Singapore as all the trans-Atlantic frequent flier seats were gone. Cost me 130,000 miles on my United account. No biggie. I've still got 210,000 miles left. :D Are we having fun yet?

it's not a bad idea to have your passport now, any time you leave the US, even if they say you don't need it. makes things smoother. they did look at mine/stamp it when I went to Vancouver in JUly.

Ghery said:
We sure do know about travel. I've had standards and regulatory meetings this year in Singapore, Puerto Rico, Japan, Brazil and South Africa. Shanghai the week of December 12 (leave Seattle on the 12th, get home on the 16th) for in-house meetings. Then nothing international until the end of February (unless another planned, but unscheduled, trip to Brazil finally materializes). That will be a trip to Malaysia. Germany in May. Sweden in September. Domestic travel doesn't stop, however.

My wife went with me to South Africa, but she had to go through Singapore as all the trans-Atlantic frequent flier seats were gone. Cost me 130,000 miles on my United account. No biggie. I've still got 210,000 miles left. :D Are we having fun yet?

Man, 4 trips to Bangalore, one or two to Romania, and maybe some travel to Beijing seem to pale in comparison to you guys.

One of my coworkers is a Plat for life on American - 4.5M miles in his account. 3 months of his life have been spent over the Pacific alone, about 6 or so over the Atlantic.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Man, 4 trips to Bangalore, one or two to Romania, and maybe some travel to Beijing seem to pale in comparison to you guys.

One of my coworkers is a Plat for life on American - 4.5M miles in his account. 3 months of his life have been spent over the Pacific alone, about 6 or so over the Atlantic.

My late mother, a retired international travel planner for William Carter Co.(clothiers), did bookings for up to 750 sales reps when planning sales meetings just about anywhere in the free world. While cleaning out her Scottsdale residence I found a drawer-full of personalized luggage tags from Delta Airlines. Each identified her(with her company address) as Flying Colonel. I do not know what were the perks but suspect same included elevation of service-level. She was always going "somewhere", and at little or no expense to her or her employer.

HR

astanley said:
Originally Posted by Ghery

My wife went with me to South Africa, but she had to go through Singapore as all the trans-Atlantic frequent flier seats were gone. Cost me 130,000 miles on my United account. No biggie. I've still got 210,000 miles left.
biggrin.gif
Are we having fun yet?

Cheers,

-Andrew
2005 Traval
Jan 24-27 Sanya China
Jan 10-13 Vancouver BC Jan Nice, FR
Feb 28- 4 Mar
Feb 14-18 Japan
Mar 14-17 Atlanta
Mar 30-31 W.DC.
Apr 10-15 Malega Spain
Apr 18-22 Dallas, TX
May 9-13 Nice, France
May 25-26 San Francisco
May 2-5 Sorrento, Italy
Jun 6-9 Nice, France
Jun 20-24 Seoul Korea
Jul 11-15 Vancouver
July 18-21 San Fransisco
Sep 26-30 Vancouver BC
Sep 12-15 Taipei
Oct 24-28 Beijing China
Nov 14-17 Vancouver BC
Dec 5-9 Maui, HI.

Already getting ready for India in January. 165,000 miles this year on commercial flights :(

I did hit 2 million miles on American Airlines this year. I have been flying them regularly since 1999.

How many of us get their mail forwarded to Narita Japan? It seems that I spend inordinate amounts of time in that airport.

Last edited:
smigaldi said:
2005 Traval
Jan 24-27 Sanya China
Jan 10-13 Vancouver BC Jan Nice, FR
Feb 28- 4 Mar
Feb 14-18 Japan
Mar 14-17 Atlanta
Mar 30-31 W.DC.
Apr 10-15 Malega Spain
Apr 18-22 Dallas, TX
May 9-13 Nice, France
May 25-26 San Francisco
May 2-5 Sorrento, Italy
Jun 6-9 Nice, France
Jun 20-24 Seoul Korea
Jul 11-15 Vancouver
July 18-21 San Fransisco
Sep 26-30 Vancouver BC
Sep 12-15 Taipei
Oct 24-28 Beijing China
Nov 14-17 Vancouver BC
Dec 5-9 Maui, HI.

Already getting ready for India in January. 165,000 miles this year on commercial flights :(

I did hit 2 million miles on American Airlines this year. I have been flying them regularly since 1999.

How many of us get their mail forwarded to Narita Japan? It seems that I spend inordinate amounts of time in that airport.

More time in a tube than on the ground it seems!

Where are you going? I have to hit Noida, Bangalore, and Chennai on my trips, each trip hitting all three cities. Luckily, I am in the Taj Mansingh in Delhi, and the Leela in Bangalore.

Cheers,

-Andrew

so did you get sick in India? I am considering a vacation there soon (if not next). Doc wants me to wait til I'm off all my antibiotics for a while....

woodstock said:
so did you get sick in India? I am considering a vacation there soon (if not next). Doc wants me to wait til I'm off all my antibiotics for a while....
I was in India about 3 years ago, for 16 days. Primarily doing the tourist thing in northern India. Fantastic trip! We ate Indian food 3x/day and never got sick.

The rules to avoid getting sick were simple but had to be strictly followed.
From memory:

1. No street food. Period.
2. No fruits and vegetables unless they had been cooked. This was a shame because lots of places we ate had beautiful salad bars and fruit platters all of which were off limits. Reason: they had probably been washed in the local water.
3. Exception to #2: fruits and vegetables that you have peeled yourself: oranges, bananas, etc.
4. Bottled water only. (readily available everywhere).
5. Hotels and other spots will offer "filtered" water. No.
6. No singing in the shower! Keep your mouth closed.

There may be some others and if I remember them I will re-post.

But have a great trip when you can go. It was a real eye-opener for me!

-Skip

astanley said:
More time in a tube than on the ground it seems!

Where are you going? I have to hit Noida, Bangalore, and Chennai on my trips, each trip hitting all three cities. Luckily, I am in the Taj Mansingh in Delhi, and the Leela in Bangalore.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Heading off to New Dehli. This is my first trip to India. I am kinda excited, it is not too often I go somewhere new.

Any hints on places to go and see?

Back