Passenger refuses to fly with female pilot

It is incorrect to go from the statistical to the specific. We all really know that, but here is an example we see every day. In the US, the statistical average man is 5' 9-1/2" tall and the statistical average woman is 5' 4" tall. The statistical difference is 5-1/2" in height. This does not mean that all women are 5-1/2" shorter than all men. It doesn't mean all women are shorter than all men. It does not mean that there are NOT men who are shorter than 5' 4" or women who are taller than 5' 9-1/2". In fact, it is meaningless as far as predicting the height of an individual or even a group of individuals.

So, even if you are correct (which I challenge) that men are statistically better pilots or drivers or engineers or anything else, that does not bear on any individual instance.

It's kind of a toss-up. Generally the female has shorter feet allowing her to stand closer to the work stations. Plus they are often shorter with a lower center of gravity making picking up laundry or loading the dishwasher easier. Danielle is considering prohibiting me from kitchen operations because I tend to ruin pans and never put things away in the designated locations.
A common ploy by those who don't want to perform a given task.

So, even if you are correct (which I challenge) that men are statistically better pilots or drivers or engineers or anything else, that does not bear on any individual instance.

This is why I don't pay attention to statistics except in a few rare cases. The reality is that they only apply if you are the average. Few people are average - most are either above or below.

Additionally, you can make statistics tell you anything you want them to tell you quite easily.

Statistics suck, that is why I use always reliable stereotypes.

WAIT a minute... women are allowed to be PILOTS??!??! Next thing you know, they will be wanting the right to VOTE........!:wink2:

Now you've done it.

Anthony? Missa? You are being paged...:ihih:

Sorry was out of town on a road trip to FL to watch a big flaming rocket streek arcoss the sky... :D

I do find it best to try not to feed the Rosie troll.

I think what you really mean is you want a male pilot with gray hair up there. Do you even realize how many women served in Vietnam? By golly yes, we have female Vietnam Vets. And oh right, that 'girl in NY' was the only pilot in the plane. Give me a break.

Sure wish I had known that lacking a penis was a genetic flaw that excluded me from any hope of being a competent pilot. Maybe 12 years and 6000+ flight hours ago I would have decided to take a more 'womanly' career path (whatever the hell that is) instead of endangering myself and everyone else because I lack the essential body parts to fly proficiently. :incazzato:

You said it better then I could.

Wow, this is a very useful piece of news! I'll stick with flying airplanes, but it sounds like Grant needs to do all the laundry and dishwashing, given that the buttons and dials on the washer and dryer are in grave danger from me, and his superior male hand-eye coordination and spatial skills will certainly come in handy when trying to get those pots and pans from the sink to the drying rack :D:D

What a great argument! I'm going to have to use this in the future. :D

Statistics suck, that is why I use always reliable stereotypes.
Good for you.
thumbnail.aspx

An airport official admitted that there was a "mentally unsound" man on board the plane.

I think the last sentance in the artical says it all.

Remember that this took place in 1977 when the captain-as-god idea was still pretty entrenched. We can be happy that the clocks have advanced on this subject as well as the attitude toward female pilots in the past 30-something years, at least among most people.

Here is another of the " Captain is God " plane crashes. They ran out of fuel and everyone in the cockpit was trying to tell the captain that.

United Airlines Flight 173, a Douglas DC-8-61 en route from Denver, Colorado to Portland, Oregon on 28 December 1978 experienced a landing gear indicator light malfunction while preparing to land. The aircraft continued to circle in the vicinity of Portland while the crew investigated the problem, but it ran out of fuel and crash-landed in a sparsely populated area, killing 10 and seriously injuring 24 of the 181 on board

Back