Passed written.. Probably screwed myself though

SCAirborne

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SCAirborne
Well I passed my written today.... The bad part is I only got an 82. Hopefully that won't haunt me on my check ride. Too late now, guess I have to make the best of it.

Won't haunt you if you study up on the parts you missed.

The way my CFI explained it, it was a passing grade. That's the only thing that matters.

Well I passed my written today.... The bad part is I only got an 82. Hopefully that won't haunt me on my check ride. Too late now, guess I have to make the best of it.

I got a 75%, my oral took 45 mins, I answered everything he threw at me and only had to lookup one thing.

I got a 78% on my Instrument Written. The oral was 35 minutes.

I scored something like an 88% on my PP written. My DPE looked at it and called it a good solid score. He then offered that scores in the mid to upper 90% can mean a student simply memorized the test while a barely passing score meant weak knowledge. Both examples received similar investigation.....

It’s also important to look at the missed questions. If they are spread across the various subjects you are ok but if a large number are from one or two areas, you can expect some digging.

Anything over 70 is just fine. When I was a DE back in the day I was interested only in seeing a passing grade.

Bob Gardner

Score doesn't matter at all. That's just a BS lie flight instructors say to make their students study harder so they don't fail.

Score doesn't matter at all. That's just a BS lie flight instructors say to make their students study harder so they don't fail.

That.

Don't worry you're fine, I'd say most students probably score in the 80s BTW.

Depending on the DPE, he might want to follow up on the questions you missed because your (ground) instructor is supposed to sign off that you have been re-taught the materials in the deficient areas.
I brought up my 2 missed questions with the DPE and explained in one sentence why I missed them (I actually really missed one and it was an easy one too) and how I followed up and the DPE only nodded, he seemed okay with it.
But it really depends on your DPE, his flow, his mood, the day, your character ... too many variables.

The important thing is that if you know your stuff, the oral should not be a problem, no matter what score on the written.

CONGRATS!!!!! Good Luck with the rest.

Depending on the DPE, he might want to follow up on the questions you missed because your (ground) instructor is supposed to sign off that you have been re-taught the materials in the deficient areas.
I brought up my 2 missed questions with the DPE and explained in one sentence why I missed them (I actually really missed one and it was an easy one too) and how I followed up and the DPE only nodded, he seemed okay with it.
But it really depends on your DPE, his flow, his mood, the day, your character ... too many variables.

The important thing is that if you know your stuff, the oral should not be a problem, no matter what score on the written.
In all three of my checkrides, not one examiner has looked at my test results. He had a piece of paper with general questions and the PTS and just went line by line and asked me questions/scenarios

82 is not bad and that wont hurt you during your checkride. Just review the missed topics and questions and you will be just fine.

Funny (or sad depending on how you look at it):
I took my written 3 times. I passed every time, but every 2 years it would expire, I'd swing by the airport on my lunch break, retest, and get a slightly lower score. I think the 3rd time I passed it was maybe 85%. It made absolutely no difference during my oral / check ride. It was a 2 hour informal chat that ended with some flying. No worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Pretend that written has nothing to do with the oral/checkride. I got a 92% on my written and my oral was 2.5 hours. The written really means nothing when it comes to the oral and checkride. What I thought the oral was going to be like was nothing like I expected. It was more like a friendly conversation, I didn't even know when the oral started until about 20 minutes in. Really get your maneuvers down. Be within the limits of the PTS. If you bust on a maneuver you are going to hear it and possible fail. Don't try to force anything, if you don't feel right on a landing do a go around. The oral is going to be more common sense stuff and what you don't know you will be able to look up in the far/aim. Biggest thing is RELAX, don't stress. You will do just fine. Your instructor is not going to let you do it off he thinks your not ready.

Nope, you're doomed to fail! I got a 71 on my private written (I was 16, and no one told me that I should actually study...) You might as well give it up now if I'm any guideline. ;)

(F-15 instructor pilot and Delta FO).

You'll be fine! Go get that ticket and really start learning!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should be fine. DPEs are getting pressure these days from the FAA to grill people regardless of what score they get. Prepare as if you got a 70 and you'll be just fine.

Sweat not. In nine years with PIC sitting through one or two practical test orals a month, I have yet to see a DPE take any particular notice of the score on the written test other than that it was passing. In this day of IACRA, they don't even look at the report any more -- they just look to see that the instructor loaded the report number in and what the score was. Even the ones who noted an unusually high score and said "Hmmm, 95, very good" didn't look at the areas missed. And considering the lack of relevance of most of what's on the writtens to actual flying, some might say you spent 12 points too much effort preparing for it.

Now go fly.

Only if you don't know the material by the oral. Haha. No big deal. Don't sweat it.

So what you guys are saying is, I should go take my test. I have taken probably taken 20 of the practice exams on the King Schools page and haven't dropped below 85%. Hmm.

I am paranoid that I am going to get the one test created that takes all of questions that I pause on and puts these questions all on one test that yields a 69% score.

Benjamin

So what you guys are saying is, I should go take my test. I have taken probably taken 20 of the practice exams on the King Schools page and haven't dropped below 85%.
Take the written and get it out of the way so you can focus on flying.

So what you guys are saying is, I should go take my test. I have taken probably taken 20 of the practice exams on the King Schools page and haven't dropped below 85%.
Yes -- you're ready.

I am paranoid that I am going to get the one test created that takes all of questions that I pause on and puts these questions all on one test that yields a 69% score.
Do you also worry that all the air molecules above the wing will suddenly all decide to move down at once rather than their normal mixed motion?

Like Aaron Rodgers said -- R-E-L-A-X.

But the opposite can be also true. On my IFR written it was loaded with all softball questions (for me anyway) and I scored WAAAAAY higher on the actual than I was averaging on on the practice tests!

Good score does not always mean short oral

Never expected or stated it did. My DPE simply kept asking questions until she found something I couldn't answer, then the oral was over. :rolleyes:

Never expected or stated it did. My DPE simply kept asking questions until she found something I couldn't answer, then the oral was over. :rolleyes:

That's called the "stump the monkey" technique. Even people who get 100% on the written get that from certain DPEs.

It's more a personality type thing than a reflection on the applicant. Some use it to remind the applicant they know more than the applicant does.

No big deal. Answer all the questions you can, know where to look up the rest, honestly say you don't know and don't know where to look it up if they toss an oddball at you.

:yes:
Without a doubt. I got 98 on my IFR written and got grilled. Got 78 on my PPL and got grilled :)

I got 85 and my oral took almost 3 hours. Not because I was being grilled, but because my DPE was a fantastic teacher who took the opportunity to teach alot of new stuff that was interesting but beyond the syllabus (stuff like "so, what is the line called where magnetic declination is constant? Now what about the line where it is 0? or what are the different kinds of hypoxia conditions. He always started it with something like "For my commercial pilots I require this" to take out the pressure of a bust if I didn't know something I was not required to.). Also he gave alot of cool operating tips that you can't find on the POH. Stuff like a 172P trimmed fully back, engine idle, 2 up, will fly best glide. Helps alot on sim engine out practice. Or two full "lenghts" of the trim wheel will trim it very close to whats needed for a steep turn.

My oral was long, but it was very enjoyable. Loved it.

I got 85 and my oral took almost 3 hours. Not because I was being grilled, but because my DPE was a fantastic teacher who took the opportunity to teach alot of new stuff that was interesting but beyond the syllabus
DPE's aren't supposed to do that, but when they do, I don't stop them, because the more they're talking, the less questions my trainee has to answer. :wink2:

Don't sweat it. I got an 84 and while not a superb score, I'm not embarrassed either. Just focus on areas in which you answered incorrectly and you'll be fine.

DPE's aren't supposed to do that, but when they do, I don't stop them, because the more they're talking, the less questions my trainee has to answer. :wink2:
The examiner I used for my IR and Commercial did this. I would give him the answer to the question then he would proceed to tell me 20 stories about said question. I just smiled and nodded my head

Back