Passed the IR written Thanks to Write Stuff and Cajun Flyer

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I owe @write-stuff and @Cajun_Flyer (that girl pilot) a big thank you.

Having dropped out of Kings and Gleim (sp?) because I wasn't all that motivated to get the IR, I never really expected to go down that path.

In comes Write-stuff with Gold method and this leader board / reward system.
Pair that with Cajun signing up at the same time and through competition, motivation was born.

Thank you for taunting me every time you jumped ahead on the leader board.
My fragile psyche clearly cannot handle being bested (which I was. She beat me by a good margin in the system.)

At any rate, thank you to both of you. I will likely end up with an IR in the near future and it's 100% your fault! ;)

I'm impressed. The only thing between me and an IFR ticket is retaking the written. I took and passed it a few years ago, and was all set for checkride before the 2-years was up, but I work got in the way so it timed out and I need to redo the exam. So... one exam and some dual and I'll have it.

With how things are going Bryan will be done with it before me.

Congrats! Serious question: how'd you make the time to study? I got as far as listening to Machado's audiobook in the car, but with two kids and a job, I feel like it's 6am-9pm to keep my head above water and then it's time for bed.

Congrats! Serious question: how'd you make the time to study? I got as far as listening to Machado's audiobook in the car, but with two kids and a job, I feel like it's 6am-9pm to keep my head above water and then it's time for bed.

I honestly just don't sleep very much. I never have been much of a sleeper. If I go to sleep I wake up 6 hours later. So most of my studying was after everybody was asleep. Also I work in I.T. so I'm at a computer all day so anytime at work I had down time I would pull up the course

Also he has been lessons broken up in such a way that you can see how many questions are in the lesson before you take it. So there were a lot of times when I go okay this one only has 24 questions I can probably do that in a 30 minute break and then for some of the ones that had 50 or 60 Questions I knew I was going to need an hour or two dedicated

I will likely end up with an IR in the near future and it's 100% your fault!

Oh no. I do NOT want the weight of this on me!! There were other people on that leaderboard... blame them!

Seriously, though, congrats. It was fun taunting you... especially after I got the endorsement first and you wouldn't talk to me for a few days ;)

Lol, I'm just messin with you both.

Tough is right, I don't think I'd volunteer for an underwater ditching exercise.

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, how many questions were there on Back Courses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The instrument written is one tough test, Bryan. You made it because you busted @$$ and learned the stuff. Good job!

Congrats on the accomplishment! Must feel great! Well, maybe not as great knowing that someone who can out-drink you and out consume you on bacon did it first. But an accomplishment nonetheless! Now you can use the red handle while in the clouds! :p

N.B. - all but the "congrats" above was meant in jest. maybe. :p

Congrats on the accomplishment! Must feel great! Well, maybe not as great knowing that someone who can out-drink you and out consume you on bacon did it first.

I beat him on the leaderboard and got endorsed first, but still haven't taken the written. I was waiting for him to do it so that I knew what score I'd need to beat! Because, with two kids, a full time job and almost zero free time, I need motivation too.

I beat him on the leaderboard and got endorsed first, but still haven't taken the written. I was waiting for him to do it so that I knew what score I'd need to beat! Because, with two kids, a full time job and almost zero free time, I need motivation too.
And somehow do two questions shuffling you managed to get one more Point than I could ever get and that's just not fair

And somehow do two questions shuffling you managed to get one more Point than I could ever get and that's just not fair

Hmmm. That kind of sounds like an excuse. :eek: But it can't be. Not from 6PC. Not from the guy who gives helpful SARS PIREP. (or is that ASRS, or is it NASA? So confused now.) Though some of your helpful how-tos don't seem to apply at my FBO where there's no red carpet and bottles of water waiting for me. But I fly a LSA, so maybe they're watching out to make sure I don't fly over-gross with two bottles of water. I digress...

I'm throwing down the gauntlet, 6PC. Do the program again. Be the honorary Asian and come back with no less than 100%. Or be ridiculed for those missing percentages! :p

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, how many questions were there on Back Courses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of my first trips with the Rating, ~400 nm to see family, I needed to fly an approach to get into my destination. Before then it was clear VFR. Approach vectored me between all of the clouds then finally turned me into IMC and promptly cleared me for a back course ILS (in 2010!). I had pages for the ILS and GPS approaches marked. So I accepted the back course (never having even flown one in practice) and said that I'd rather have the GPS approach to the same runway. Approach immediately cleared me for that I stead, and it was totally a non-event.

Congrats on your progress. You'll enjoy using the Rating, and the feeling of accomplishment when you finish up is quite tangible.

I'm impressed. The only thing between me and an IFR ticket is retaking the written. I took and passed it a few years ago, and was all set for checkride before the 2-years was up, but I work got in the way so it timed out and I need to redo the exam. So... one exam and some dual and I'll have it.

With how things are going Bryan will be done with it before me.

You can still pass him up... heh heh. Snicker. Poke.

Oh no. I do NOT want the weight of this on me!! There were other people on that leaderboard... blame them!

Seriously, though, congrats. It was fun taunting you... especially after I got the endorsement first and you wouldn't talk to me for a few days ;)

Hahaha. That's funny. He hit the books hard and ignored you...

Only 729 days til u get to take it again!

Recommendation from someone who's BTDT THREE (total) times before I flew the ride... don't do it. It's a waste of freaking time and resources.

Congrats Briany!

I see there's now a three way race to the rating? (Including @Ravioli who's gonna have to get off his butt and hurry up, now... hahaha...)

Who's going to get the rating first, and who's going to get their ticket wet first... we shall see...!

And who's going to forget how to land the airplane first, from always just plopping it on at the 1000' marker after slapping the view limiting device off of their head and just being thankful the runway is even there... hahaha.

Looking forward to stories of the flight portion...

Don't forget EVERYTHING for the written as you sigh and relax... the oral is coming... (wicked grin...)

And now begins the love-hate relationship with post-it notes and/or black suction cups... muahahahahhaha... or in the case of the Cirrus, I guess crazy cardboard cutouts to cover things up.

I want to see either of your first stories of the day you finally get a case of "the leans" and have to trust the panel to remain upright. I damn near thought I would pop the pilot side door open on the 182 that night with @jesse as I couldn't even sit up straight in the seat.

Just kinda leaned on the door and cocked my head to the side to adjust it to the AI... LOL...

Fun times coming for both of you. Probably a little frustration too. "I thought I knew how to fly these damned airplane things!"

Bryan and I were doing a debrief for his test today and he did mention something that every test-prepper should remember. The FAA is rewording questions and answers HEAVILY these days. No longer can your use little memory tricks like "if altitude is even, pick the answer that ends in 7". Those days are gone. When you take the test, expect to see a boatload of questions you're never seen before. But they should be no problem if you understand the material.

Bryan and I were doing a debrief for his test today and he did mention something that every test-prepper should remember. The FAA is rewording questions and answers HEAVILY these days. No longer can your use little memory tricks like "if altitude is even, pick the answer that ends in 7". Those days are gone. When you take the test, expect to see a boatload of questions you're never seen before. But they should be no problem if you understand the material.

^^ yes, that

And congrats! Now get out there and find a CFII

I honestly just don't sleep very much. I never have been much of a sleeper. If I go to sleep I wake up 6 hours later. So most of my studying was after everybody was asleep. Also I work in I.T. so I'm at a computer all day so anytime at work I had down time I would pull up the course

Exact same here. Always wake up in 6

Congrats man! That test is no joke. Keep it rolling and get the rating!

Yeep I left that out. I got an 82.
I'm not overly upset about that number.

Congrats, Bryan! I would have thought Cajun's contribution would have been large quantities of brown liquor.

Now get the flying done and go get the ride.

I owe @write-stuff and @Cajun_Flyer (that girl pilot) a big thank you.

Having dropped out of Kings and Gleim (sp?) because I wasn't all that motivated to get the IR, I never really expected to go down that path.

In comes Write-stuff with Gold method and this leader board / reward system.
Pair that with Cajun signing up at the same time and through competition, motivation was born.

Thank you for taunting me every time you jumped ahead on the leader board.
My fragile psyche clearly cannot handle being bested (which I was. She beat me by a good margin in the system.)

At any rate, thank you to both of you. I will likely end up with an IR in the near future and it's 100% your fault! ;)

Leader board? Reward? System? What? I need a plan. I did almost all the flying, just needed to pass the written and then life got in the way. I want to pass the IFR written before I spend any more $$$ on CFIIs. No offense. So what's this magical system of which you speak?

ASA Prepware app on my phone. Same here, 2 kids and a job. I work in IT so when I was running a data load or something that would take 10-15 mins to compile, I'd fire up the app. When it's always there with you, you find time to open it and run through some questions.

Lol, I see that our study experience is very similar....

Back