Passed the Instrument Written

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Passed the Instrument written with a 93% - was hoping to get above a 95%, but it doesn't really matter. Used the King Course, which I think prepared me well.

I would say there was probably a dozen questions I had never seen before, but they were all easy to handle since I knew the material and didn't just memorize answers. Some questions were just re-written a bit from the King course.

Anyways, looking forward to the actual flying - will start likely in September when it cools off a bit. In the meantime I plan to finish reading the Instrument Flying Handbook and read the Instrument Procedures Handbook.

Ohh...and an interesting site walking out of the testing center: walking out I see a King Air with its nose way up in air and the hangar door smashed into the tail of the aircraft. Apparently the mechanics were backing it into the hangar last night and the cables which hold up the hangar door snapped. The owner was surprisingly in a decent mood for having that happen to his plane. I have a photo, but not sure if it would be appropriate to post it on here.

Last edited:
Congrats. Knock out your hood time before you start training.

Exactly my experience with the Kings and a 93% as well. Guess we done just "OK".
Good on ya.

Passed the Instrument written with a 93% - was hoping to get above a 95%, but it doesn't really matter. Used the King Course, which I think prepared me well.

I would say there was probably a dozen questions I had never seen before, but they were all easy to handle since I knew the material and didn't just memorize answers. Some questions were just re-written a bit from the King course.

Anyways, looking forward to the actual flying - will start likely in September when it cools off a bit. In the meantime I plan to finish reading the Instrument Flying Handbook and read the Instrument Procedures Handbook.

Ohh...and an interesting site walking out of the testing center: walking out I see a King Air with its nose way up in air and the hangar door smashed into the tail of the aircraft. Apparently the mechanics were backing it into the hangar last night and the cables which hold up the hangar door snapped. The owner was surprisingly in a decent mood for having that happen to his plane. I have a photo, but not sure if it would be appropriate to post it on here.

Congrats!

I was about to berate you for not taking a pic. Sure it's appropriate. :D

Congrats!

I was about to berate you for not taking a pic. Sure it's appropriate. :D

I'd hate for the owner to see a picture of his plane all messed up lol

There's often a question thrown in that is an FAA testing question that isn't scored. Frankly, the tests (especially the instrument) are so poorly written and even more badly proofread, that a perfect score would be pure luck.

Now go fly. Don't do what I did. I passed the instrument written three times letting it expire the first two before getting around to doing the PIC course to finish up the rating.

There's often a question thrown in that is an FAA testing question that isn't scored. Frankly, the tests (especially the instrument) are so poorly written and even more badly proofread, that a perfect score would be pure luck.

Now go fly. Don't do what I did. I passed the instrument written three times letting it expire the first two before getting around to doing the PIC course to finish up the rating.

Yea that is very true...on any given day you could end up with anything between a 90-100 no matter how much you prepared depending on what questions you got. I plan to knock it out like I did my PPL so hopefully I won't have to worry about that!

There's often a question thrown in that is an FAA testing question that isn't scored.

Sheppard Air mentioned this in their material. I just took the commercial written and it had 105 questions on it, which means there were 5 'test test' questions that weren't scored. I wouldn't have known what it was if I hadn't read about it.

I'd hate for the owner to see a picture of his plane all messed up lol

Hey, he saw it for real already, right? And it was public, right?

Ok, just PM it to me. It won't go any further. :D

Hey, he saw it for real already, right? And it was public, right?

Ok, just PM it to me. It won't go any further. :D

Alrighty I will PM it to you when I get home lol

FINALLY! :D

How's your PhD coming along? :)

+100 for knowing the material and not just working on the test preppers!

It's going well! Instrument sabbatical has been great.

Congratulations. Hang in there! Now the fun begins.

Back