Passed the Commercial Airplane Knowledge Test

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
I took it this morning. Got a 90. I used the ASA books and am pretty satisfied with them. Although I'll probably try Sheppard for my CFI. I'm excited to start Commercial training now! Instead of waiting to take the test like I did for my private and instrument, I decided to knock it out early so I can focus on the training

Take the FIA test tomorrow. It will save you a lot of studying later.

Congrats..I'm kinda in the same boat and debating what I'm going to use to study for the Comm written. I think I'm leaning towards the Dauntless software. I looked at Sheppard, but think I will save it for the CFI as well for the memorization. How long did you study before you took the test?

I bought Dauntless App.
spent about 3 weeks studying in spare time.
scored 95% two weeks ago.

Congrats..I'm kinda in the same boat and debating what I'm going to use to study for the Comm written. I think I'm leaning towards the Dauntless software. I looked at Sheppard, but think I will save it for the CFI as well for the memorization. How long did you study before you took the test?
I studied for about a month before I took the test. I'm leaning towards Sheppard because they have a CFI/CFII/FOI (i think) package that you can buy

Not quite, you have to take the FOI also. Then you can go to the FSDO and get your ground instructor temp cert.
Can't a CFI give ground instruction as well? Is there really a point of getting you BGI/AGI. I guess it might be useful if a guy can't get a medical but still wants to teach:dunno:

Take the FIA test tomorrow. It will save you a lot of studying later.

Just remember that the written is only good for 24 months, so if you don't see yourself getting your Comm and CFI done in two years, it'd be a waste of $150. However, I'd highly recommend taking your AGI and FOI writtens. The AGI written apart from the handful of non-airplane questions they throw in is very similar to the Commercial and CFI writtens. Combine with a passing FOI written, an 8710 and a visit to the FSDO, and you have yourself an AGI. If you do go for CFI, this route essentially locks in your FOI forever, and you can teach ground schools after you get an endorsement from another CFI or AGI.

Can't a CFI give ground instruction as well? Is there really a point of getting you BGI/AGI. I guess it might be useful if a guy can't get a medical but still wants to teach:dunno:

A CFI is limited to the category and class that person holds. For example, a CFI-A can't teach helicopter stuff, and can't give instruction for an ATP if he doesn't already have one.
An AGI can teach aeronautical knowledge for any certificate or rating. A BGI can only teach up to private, and is therefore a waste of $150.

A CFI is tied to a medical. An AGI is not.

An AGI or IGI is required to get a Gold Seal on your CFI.

Last edited:
A CFI is tied to a medical. An AGI is not.

You can flight instruct without a medical, though it will be someone who is already capable of acting as PIC (commercial student or CFI student). And you can renew your CFI without a medical.

NWADC9; said:
A CFI is limited to the category and class that person holds. For example, a CFI-A can't teach helicopter stuff, and can't give instruction for an ATP if he doesn't already have one.
An AGI can teach aeronautical knowledge for any certificate or rating

Not sure about the atp and an igi (or cfii) is required to give ground training for instrument rating .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I used Sheppard Air for my Comm and received a 95%. I'll be using them again when I can.

There's nothing special about the software, it's the way they have you study, or "memorize" if you want to think about it that way.

I >think< your CFI remains good without a medical. You just cannot act as PIC.

It is. I haven't flown in about a dozen years - buying houses and putting kids through college will do that to you - and so haven't bothered with getting medicals. I've had no problem renewing my CFI every couple of years. And as someone else noted CFI's can instruct without a medical, they just cannot act as PIC.

(Btw the haven't flown thing gets fixed this spring)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

an igi (or cfii) is required to give ground training for instrument rating

Yes, guess I should have clarified that, especially considering I'm studying to take the IGI and CFII written tests :mad2:

I used Sheppard Air for my Comm and received a 95%. I'll be using them again when I can.

There's nothing special about the software, it's the way they have you study, or "memorize" if you want to think about it that way.

The Comm, CFI-A and AGI are mostly the same questions. If you can turn them in within 24 months, take them all at the same time.

Same for the IFR, CFII and IGI writtens.

FOI is a beast of its own, but you can turn it in with your AGI or IGI and get a cert that will never expire.

FOI is a beast of its own

not a beast at all if you use sheppard. I scored a 98% and it took me less than 8 minutes start to finish. Now when you take the practical then it becomes a beast of its own.

not a beast at all if you use sheppard. I scored a 98% and it took me less than 8 minutes start to finish. Now when you take the practical then it becomes a beast of its own.

Yes, sheppard is the way to pass.

But a Beast is a Beast. And that, is a Beast that you have not seen before.

So I'm starting training next week and we are starting off with manuevers. I'm reading the chandelles, 8's on pylons, lazy eights in my aircraft flying handbook and they seem confusing. I'm not really grasping the concept except for chandelles

So I'm starting training next week and we are starting off with manuevers. I'm reading the chandelles, 8's on pylons, lazy eights in my aircraft flying handbook and they seem confusing. I'm not really grasping the concept except for chandelles

You'll be fine after you see them demonstrated. The maneuvers are mostly about being smooth and making the aircraft do what you want.

Once you try them a few times , you should have no problem. Chandelles where my favorite

Chandelles: Full power, 30-degree bank, and pitching back until the 90-degree point, then you maintain your pitch angle as you slowly let out bank to complete the 180-degree turn. You should hear the stall horn at the end.

Eights-On-Pylons: Basically the name of the game is keep your "pylon" fixed. If it moves forward, pitch forward. If it moves back, pitch back.

Lazy Eights: I heard a CFI teach it as, "Make it so lazy I don't even know you started the maneuver." You should climb about 300 feet in the maneuver before descending back to your original altitude and airspeed.

UND Aerospace has some great videos on the maneuvers on YouTube, and they make the maneuvers crystal clear. However, nothing will substitute actually performing the maneuvers in the airplane, and you will never fully "get it" until you do it.

Chandelles: Full power, 30-degree bank, and pitching back until the 90-degree point, then you maintain your pitch angle as you slowly let out bank to complete the 180-degree turn. You should hear the stall horn at the end..

I like a coordinated roll to 30 degrees, then mixture, prop and throttle to full. Seemed to be the way the DPEs around me are doing them.

Chandelles: Full power, 30-degree bank, and pitching back until the 90-degree point, then you maintain your pitch angle as you slowly let out bank to complete the 180-degree turn. You should hear the stall horn at the end.

Eights-On-Pylons: Basically the name of the game is keep your "pylon" fixed. If it moves forward, pitch forward. If it moves back, pitch back.

Lazy Eights: I heard a CFI teach it as, "Make it so lazy I don't even know you started the maneuver." You should climb about 300 feet in the maneuver before descending back to your original altitude and airspeed.

UND Aerospace has some great videos on the maneuvers on YouTube, and they make the maneuvers crystal clear. However, nothing will substitute actually performing the maneuvers in the airplane, and you will never fully "get it" until you do it.
I was watching some of the UND videos, they seem pretty good. I'm starting off in a Warrior first to get down the maneuvers, then I'll be transitioning to the Arrow

Back