Passed Private Pilot Checkride

fiftiesdean

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
As the title states, I passed my Private Pilot Checkride. This forum has been a huge source or information, thank you all!

The advice held true. Relax, you are ready. You will make a mistake (or a few mistakes), make corrections and fly safe. Also, don't play genius with the examiner, don't talk yourself into a corner on every question, this will happen at least once, but don't provide answers to questions that aren't asked.

-The examiner spent a lot of time asking about systems. He wanted to know that I knew everything about that plane. Engine, electrical, troubleshooting, etc. He wanted to see that I could not only talk about the alternator warning on the annunciator panel, but I could show him how to test that that warning was working.
-W&B - detailed questions. C.G., Stalls, Spin awareness and recovery
-Va. Not just what it is, why it is.
-91.209B - I will never forget this. Strobes (if equipped) on when Anti-Collision lights are on, which is to say all the time. Yes, even for Day VFR. Exceptions apply, of course.
-Sectional. Know it. Remember, everything isn't in the ASA FAR/AIM you are carrying (Example - 2,000 ft above wildlife / national parks - Advisory Circular)
-The questions don't stop when you go to fly. This wasn't a Oral/Practical test. We talked more on the ground than in the air, but the questions don't stop when the engine starts.
-The flight was....fun. I was nervous and sweating, but it was actually fun. I didn't have a lot of time to think/talk about the last maneuver. Focus on the task at hand, nail it, move on. There is a sort of satisfaction when the examiner tells you to move on.
-You will make a large mistake as Captain Levy's post states. Pick yourself up, do it again, and make it perfect.
-You are PIC, I think my examiner wanted me to challenge him at some point and I did. The question was irrelevant, my answer of "I would agree with you that this is within regulations, but I'm the PIC, and we will not be doing that" seemed to move us right along to the next question.

Have fun! Hearing "Congratulations, you passed, you are now a Private Pilot" on that taxi back is one hell of a moment, I know I'll remember it.

Last edited:
Congratulations.

Awsome! Sounds like my checkride. I was sweating bullets, but having a blast! Enjoy your ticket!

-The examiner spent a lot of time asking about systems. He wanted to know that I knew everything about that plane. Engine, electrical, troubleshooting, etc. He wanted to see that I could not only talk about the alternator warning on the annunciator panel, but I could show him how to test that that warning was working.

Congrats on your certificate!

Could you add any more details on some of the questions and answers for systems, I feel like I'm so weak in this area. The POH emergency procedures tell you what to do in various cases, but not so much why you do them. Where is the best place to study systems?

Congrats!!!

Congrats on your certificate!

Could you add any more details on some of the questions and answers for systems, I feel like I'm so weak in this area. The POH emergency procedures tell you what to do in various cases, but not so much why you do them. Where is the best place to study systems?

If you read the POH, in my case it was the chapter titled "AIRPLANE AND SYSTEMS DESCRIPTION", that was enough to cover 99% of the questions I was asked.

Congrats, enjoy flying, take some family and friends for rides!

Congrats,now go fly and have some fun.

-91.209B - I will never forget this. Strobes (if equipped) on when Anti-Collision lights are on, which is to say all the time. Yes, even for Day VFR. Exceptions apply, of course.
Maybe I'm misreading what you're trying to say, but strobes are one form of anti-collision light. Beacons are another. If I have my beacon on while flying in the day, I don't legally need my strobes on. I have an anti-collision lighting system already lighted. Aircraft without beacons that require strobes on are in the minority.

Maybe I'm misreading what you're trying to say, but strobes are one form of anti-collision light. Beacons are another. If I have my beacon on while flying in the day, I don't legally need my strobes on. I have an anti-collision lighting system already lighted. Aircraft without beacons that require strobes on are in the minority.

I _believe_ there's some interpretation that states that if your plane has an anti-collision item, you need to use them. In other words, beacon only is OK if your plane doesn't have strobes, but if your plane has both, not using the strobes is now a failure to use the anti-collision items in your aircraft.

I _believe_ there's some interpretation that states that if your plane has an anti-collision item, you need to use them. In other words, beacon only is OK if your plane doesn't have strobes, but if your plane has both, not using the strobes is now a failure to use the anti-collision items in your aircraft.
I've never heard that interpretation. Does anybody have a case to cite?

I've never heard that interpretation. Does anybody have a case to cite?

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...2011/murphy - (2011) legal interpretation.pdf

Excerpt said:
As discussed above, 14 C.F.R. 91.209(b) requires that "an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system" must have the anticollision lights turned on while it is being operated. However, § 91.209(b) permits the pilot-in-command ("PIC") to turn off the anticollision lights ifhe or she "determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off."

As an initial matter, it appears that the strobe light and the rotating beacon are part of the same anticollision system. The airworthiness standard that governs the need for an airplane to be equipped with an anticollision light system, 14 C.P.R. 23.1401(a)(1), states that "[t]he airplane must have an anticollision system that ... consists of one or more approved anticollision lights ... " Because the strobe light and the rotating beacon are both approved anticollision lights, under § 23.1401(a)(1), they are part of the same anticollision system. See id.

Also, here's a four page thread: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50944

The more interpretation letters I read, the more I hate how the FAA tries to regulate through council rather than the legal process.

Back