Passed PPL Checkride!

TylerSC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TylerSC
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences here - it has been very helpful to read other students' stories.
It took longer to get here than I thought it would, and there were times I wasn't sure if I was really cut out to be a pilot, but I am very glad I kept at it.

I actually really enjoyed the check ride. I like talking about airplanes and aviation, so the oral was right up my alley. I knew a lot of it just from my lessons and solo planning, and the memorization items I just tabbed in the FAR/AIM. I made a couple mistakes but nothing major.

The flight portion was fun too. I like to fly! So once I got over the jitters of the first 10 minutes or so, I just did what I know how to do. I wasn't perfect, but I was pretty good. My landings were spot on, including the most awesome short-field landing I've ever done.

The impression I got was that my examiner wanted me to pass, and was not going to fail me unless I showed him I didn't understand something important.

That handshake and "congratulations" at the end was pretty special!

Now to go out and start learning for real!!

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences here - it has been very helpful to read other students' stories.
It took longer to get here than I thought it would, and there were times I wasn't sure if I was really cut out to be a pilot, but I am very glad I kept at it.

I actually really enjoyed the check ride. I like talking about airplanes and aviation, so the oral was right up my alley. I knew a lot of it just from my lessons and solo planning, and the memorization items I just tabbed in the FAR/AIM. I made a couple mistakes but nothing major.

The flight portion was fun too. I like to fly! So once I got over the jitters of the first 10 minutes or so, I just did what I know how to do. I wasn't perfect, but I was pretty good. My landings were spot on, including the most awesome short-field landing I've ever done.

The impression I got was that my examiner wanted me to pass, and was not going to fail me unless I showed him I didn't understand something important.

That handshake and "congratulations" at the end was pretty special!

Now to go out and start learning for real!!

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Welcome to the new world!

Congrats

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well done and congrats!! Now get out there and fly and learn!

^^^This^^^ Fly and learn! Congrats!
So who is going to be your first passenger?

Yessssss! Go land in some states. Tell us how the DPE distracted you - they still do that right?

Yessssss! Go land in some states. Tell us how the DPE distracted you - they still do that right?

He tried to talk a couple time when the flight following controller was calling me. I had to ask him to be quiet for a second. Nothing over the top, more like what a normal passenger might do. Also talking during the pre-flight got me off my routine, so I told him I was starting over.

Like every pilot I ever fly with, he taught me a couple things as well.

Congrats! I'll never ever forget that numb, euphoric feeling when I dropped the examiner off at the door, he shook my hand, and then I taxi back to the hangar by myself. Such an incredible moment!

Taking your first (non-pilot) passenger is a really cool moment too!

He tried to talk a couple time when the flight following controller was calling me. I had to ask him to be quiet for a second. Nothing over the top, more like what a normal passenger might do. Also talking during the pre-flight got me off my routine, so I told him I was starting over.

You used flight following for a checkride? Interesting.

Oh and congrats!

If you ever fly to KILM for no good reason, let me know, I'll meet you for lunch. Its an hour away if the wind blows the right way, might take 1.5 to get back though, haha.

Oh and congrats!

I did that for my PPL as well..mostly for the part of the flight that deal with diversions, and a flight plan, we cancelled it though after we went through the motions.

Congratulations! I hope to do the same in the not too distant future. Must feel great!

Oh and congrats!

My home airport where we did the checkride out of is right by/under a class C area - also a NG airbase and an Air Force base. I always let them know what I'm doing and get a transponder code.

Back