Passed my written test today!

Loveair

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Loveair
Passed my written test today. Not proud of the score. The key word is passed!:yes: As an added bonus. I also went out and Soloed MY 182R for the first time. I had previously soloed in a 172. Today was the first in the Skylane. I had to do two go arounds before I nailed the 3rd one. I was sweating bullets on the 3rd down wind!!:eek:

Congrats, now you can move on to the ck-ride and your PPL

Anything over passing and you're just showing off. :)

Seriously, congrats...the written is a formality that gets you studying the material...the real test comes with the oral portion during your checkride.

Have fun!

I scored a 72 on my PPL and a 98 on my IFR. Everyone said it should have been the other way around.

Like my CFI told me when I earned the 72 - "what do you call a med student with a 72 score" the answer "Doctor",......

In any event.. Congratulations!

I just started studying, does anybody recommend this book.

de5yzs.jpg

sorry the pic is upside down.

Congrats! I just passed my check ride on Saturday, so keep at it and good luck with the rest of your training!

-Brian

Congrats! I made a 78 on my written and worried to death that my oral would be akin to water boarding, it wasn't. You did good!

If you scored low on the written expect a long oral During check ride.
My dpe told me if students scored in the 90's he gives short oral exams during the check ride to those students. I scored 92 and my check ride oral was 30 minutes

Congratulations. I found the oral conceptually easier than the written. Regardless, it's all building blocks. Happy for you!

Not always true.

Agreed. I scored a 95% on my written, my oral portion was 1.5 hours, plus continued while in the airplane flying with scenario based questions. I think that "myth" is really dependent on the examiners. I am sure there are those that will shorten the oral portion, and others that just don't care and do their usual thing.

-Brian

Agreed. I scored a 95% on my written, my oral portion was 1.5 hours, plus continued while in the airplane flying with scenario based questions. I think that "myth" is really dependent on the examiners. I am sure there are those that will shorten the oral portion, and others that just don't care and do their usual thing.

-Brian
IMO, the written just shows how well you can take tests. You can have a guy who gets a 70 on the written then shows up knowing his stuff and the oral can be short. On the other hand, you can have a guy who scores a 99 and doesn't do anymore ground work and the oral can be a nightmare. Depending on how well you prepare for the oral matters a whole lot more than your written score

IMO, the written just shows how well you can take tests. You can have a guy who gets a 70 on the written then shows up knowing his stuff and the oral can be short. On the other hand, you can have a guy who scores a 99 and doesn't do anymore ground work and the oral can be a nightmare. Depending on how well you prepare for the oral matters a whole lot more than your written score

I would argue against that in this case. If you use Gleim books, Sporty's Study Buddy or a few other resources you'll see those questions verbatim...with the same sectionals, W&B charts, etc... on the exam. I flew through my test...saving the questions that required work towards the end. I must have answered 50 questions in about 15 minutes...just flying through them as I had seen everyone of them 100 times before.

I'd expect the examiner to make sure that you understand the material that you didn't do well on the written. If there's a common theme there (and he won't know the specific questions...just the topic areas that you didn't score well on) then expect him to go deep to make sure you learned the material.

I would argue against that in this case. If you use Gleim books, Sporty's Study Buddy or a few other resources you'll see those questions verbatim...with the same sectionals, W&B charts, etc... on the exam. I flew through my test...saving the questions that required work towards the end. I must have answered 50 questions in about 15 minutes...just flying through them as I had seen everyone of them 100 times before.

I'd expect the examiner to make sure that you understand the material that you didn't do well on the written. If there's a common theme there (and he won't know the specific questions...just the topic areas that you didn't score well on) then expect him to go deep to make sure you learned the material.
I've only taken 3 checkrides and all of them haven't even looked at my written score. They just took out the PTS and got all their questions from it but YMMV. Again if you get a **** poor score but you show up knowing your stuff, the oral CAN be short. If you ace the written and show up not knowing anything, you oral CAN be long. There is nothing that says the examiner should give a long/short oral depending on written score.

Last edited:
Back