Passed my stage check. Nerves settling in for solo. Thoughts?

manlymatt83

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
I've got about 45 hours under my belt - a bit above average for someone pre-solo. It took me a while to feel comfortable with side slips and landings. I just passed my stage check last week, and reviewed my pre-solo exam with my instructor. Unfortunately, nerves have set in and I've become anxious about soloing.

I realize the first solo is just in the pattern, but that's where my primary concerns lie. The base to final spin awareness has become so engrained in my head and I've read so much about it, that I've become quite nervous about that. Though since the Cessna can't be spun at my school, I've only been taught awareness, not actual recovery. And you can't actually recover that low, anyway.

I realize that it isn't THAT easy to enter a spin. Simply skidding isn't enough in general, and that you also need to apply opposite aileron AND back pressure. And my assumption is you'd hear the stall horn and could nose down and wings level/add power well before the skid turned into a stall and spin. But since I don't know that for sure, perhaps it's just an unanswered question that has me extra nervous to solo. I know I just need to keep things coordinated and if I overshoot, just go around...

I've also been thinking about the real reason I kept on with lessons after my discovery flight - I wanted to learn to fly and wanted to learn to land! I've accomplished that. The idea of getting my license and soloing is exciting, but I'm trying to think about what I'll actually do once I get the license. How I'll use it and where I'll go. My family also doesn't support me flying, which adds to the nerves.

Either way, I'm really excited. I've worked hard to get to this point! Is all of this normal anxiety and nerves as I head into my first solo? Anyone have any advice?

You're way overthinking it. You say you passed your stage check, so your instructor is of the opinion that you are ready to solo. I can only guess by this that you haven't shown any tendencies to get into a base to final spin situation, or if you had previously, you have shown that you no longer exhibit that tendency. When the day comes, enjoy that solo flight. I just did my first solo Saturday, and while I had a mild case of the nerves taxiing back out to the runway, as soon as that throttle went in it was muscle memory, and when she took to the sky, the feeling was indescribable. :yes:

I was a little nervous when I soloed the first time as well. I did mine in a LSA (Cessna 162 Skycatcher), I'm guessing you are probably in a 172? If you don't fly a good pattern and/or proper speeds at the right place in the pattern there's a "need" sometimes to fix that. Overbanking, less power, etc. Just focus on giving yourself enough distance from the runway to turn a nice smooth downwind->base and a nice smooth base-> final. I found that if I'm too close on downwind, there's this tendency to overbank. Give yourself some room and if you are too close, ask if you can extend your downwind to have some time to turn smoothly and then get back on track. My landing checklist has always been (assuming a TPA of 1000): Abeam the numbers on downwind -> Power back to 1700 RPM (ish), 1st notch flaps, let plane descend. 45 degrees from runway endpoint (about 800 ft) turn base, wings level, flaps 2. Shoot for about 80 knots. Smooth turn to final (wind permitting -> final flaps, wind gusting stay at flaps 2, 1 or none depending), shoot for about 75 knots. If you're too tight, just go around. If you're too high, just go around. Don't force it and never "dive". Sometimes reducing power and adding some pitch in will slow the plane down a bit and give you the chance to lose some altitude. I tried this once and it's totally counter-intuitive as you think, I'm high already why would I want to pitch up? Slowing down though can give you a much better descent in that case without the danger of a slip at low speeds. Have fun with it, but don't overthink it, obviously your instructor thinks your ready if you're getting signed off to solo. Oh and one last thing (sometimes helps) if you're at a towered field, let the controller know you're a student on their first solo. They might give you a break and not ask you to do s turns for spacing, or a 360, etc. Plus, you may actually get a congrats when you land. Controllers I've flown with are very aware of how nervous students can be and they try to make that pattern work as easy as possible. Those are my 2cents...

Airspeed is your friend. Don't get too slow, keep the ball centered and you will do just fine.

As Scotty said, don't over think it. And after you do solo, don't forget to pick up your instructor.... (don't ask how I know this)

Airspeed is your friend. Don't get too slow, keep the ball centered and you will do just fine.

As Scotty said, don't over think it. And after you do solo, don't forget to pick up your instructor.... (don't ask how I know this)

Too much airspeed is also a (rather different) problem.

Nail the approach speed, and keep the aircraft coordinated or slipped (intentionally only). Ignore all the people that tell you to limit bank. What you actually limit is turn rate. This is earlier in the process than a bank limitation. Using too little bank for a given turn rate is exactly the skid you are trying to avoid.

It is not necessary to cross controls to dip a wing -- you can do it with no rudder at all, at full power. You'll never get a full spin in the pattern. You'll hit the ground first. The real way to avoid it is not to stall. And you can practice recovering from dipped wings at altitude, and you should as part of your stall practice. Up to and including a "falling leaf."

If during your current dual training, you instructor isn't saying anything to correct you, and isn't pressing on a control in a subtle way, then you're going to do fine during the solo.

Continue to be aware of what you should be doing where in the pattern, and you'll be fine. If needed, say it out loud. That tip helped me. Speaking it then doing it helped me to focus.

Be sure to post photos of the happy day.

All good advice. Keep in mind that you've been there and done that a number of times. just because the instructor was there, doesn't mean he was doing anything other than being a passenger.

Guessing the stage check is a 141 thing? I had no idea my solo was coming. We had just done some pattern work, and as we were taxiing back, my instructor told me to pull off to the side, he grabbed my logbook, endorsed it, told me to make three touch and gos then come pick him up, and then hopped out. No time to stress about it.

You got this

Relax and have fun!

There was a second before the downwind threshold where I thought "oh my I have to land this myself" But then the training took over and started doing what I have to do. You will be very busy. Focus on the task at hand. If you are sitting their bored . Recheck everything. Do another Gumps. After a couple of years of flying... just last saturday I thought "oh my I have to land this myself" Then I got busy putting it on the ground.

This is where the fun really begins! You will find it very affirming, and (obviously) exciting to operate in the airplane all by yourself, but this is where competence is built, and perhaps most importantly, when you begin to realize that you need not spring-load anything; be deliberative, be thorough, fly the plane, and you'll find it all comes very naturally.

I still remember my first long-distance cross-country, and the excitement of landing at a distant field, all by myself, and realizing: this thing is not just for touch and goes, it is a real transportation device. Since then, as a result of being a pilot, I've done things and met new friends I would never have done or met, but for the flying. It is a real blessing to be able to do it.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Nervousness is normal. When I soloed, I took off and half jokingly said to my self "Great job stupid, now you gotta land this thing on your own too."

Your instructor knows a whole lot more about how good you are than you do. You don't get let loose when you "might be able to do it". We don't deal with uncertainty in aviation, you solo when you WILL do it.

relax and have fun. Do a go around and extend the flying time if you need to.

You're ready.

Being nervous is normal. I was nervous taxiing back out to the runway after dropping of my CFI. I kept telling myself that I could do it. The takeoff and halfway through the downwind was a blur and then it became real. Your CFI will not let you go unless you are ready. Mine asked me not to break the airplane as we both needed it to get home. :)

I still remember my first long-distance cross-country, and the excitement of landing at a distant field, all by myself, and realizing: this thing is not just for touch and goes, it is a real transportation device.

You must have been listening in on my long XC. I thought the same thing as I made my DTO-KDUA-KADM-KDTO lap.

I was very nervous for my first solo. I just remember thinking there wasn't anybody in the right seat to bail me out if things went bad. I remember getting out of the plane afterwards and my hands were shaking. There was also a great sense of accomplishment. A day I will always remember.

Relax,enjoy the experience,one of the greatest feelings you can experience. Your instructor thinks your ready,go make him proud.

Student Empowerment Exercise # 9:

Before a local pattern flight WITH your instructor wager a cold six pack on the following:

Pattern altitude, down wind @ cruise just prior to midfield your instructor will cover the entire panel side to side, top to bottom with a bath towel. You will proceed to fly the aircraft through a normal pattern to a safe smooth landing with no reference inside the aircraft. Hint: if it looks right and sounds right it is right!

The empowerment comes from knowing that you can fly safely and with coordination and precision all the while looking where you are going.

You can do it!!!!
edit spelling

Last edited:
Pattern altitude, down wind @ cruise just prior to midfield your instructor will cover the entire panel side to side, top to bottom with a bath towel.

Yup - I went up was another CFI when I was getting near my PPL check ride. He was an 84-year-old guy who has 6,000+ hours in a 172. He put the bath towel over the whole panel and we did one full circuit of the pattern.

When you get nervous tell yourself this: "Remember your training".

You got it. Let us know how it went.

I've got about 45 hours under my belt - a bit above average for someone pre-solo. It took me a while to feel comfortable with side slips and landings. I just passed my stage check last week, and reviewed my pre-solo exam with my instructor. Unfortunately, nerves have set in and I've become anxious about soloing.

I realize the first solo is just in the pattern, but that's where my primary concerns lie. The base to final spin awareness has become so engrained in my head and I've read so much about it, that I've become quite nervous about that. Though since the Cessna can't be spun at my school, I've only been taught awareness, not actual recovery. And you can't actually recover that low, anyway.

I realize that it isn't THAT easy to enter a spin. Simply skidding isn't enough in general, and that you also need to apply opposite aileron AND back pressure. And my assumption is you'd hear the stall horn and could nose down and wings level/add power well before the skid turned into a stall and spin. But since I don't know that for sure, perhaps it's just an unanswered question that has me extra nervous to solo. I know I just need to keep things coordinated and if I overshoot, just go around...

I've also been thinking about the real reason I kept on with lessons after my discovery flight - I wanted to learn to fly and wanted to learn to land! I've accomplished that. The idea of getting my license and soloing is exciting, but I'm trying to think about what I'll actually do once I get the license. How I'll use it and where I'll go. My family also doesn't support me flying, which adds to the nerves.

Either way, I'm really excited. I've worked hard to get to this point! Is all of this normal anxiety and nerves as I head into my first solo? Anyone have any advice?

Dude, keep the ball centered and fly the appropriate speeds for the aircraft and you'll be just fine. Don't think so much.

If your biggest worry is a spin on base to final, glance a quick peek at the ball, and if it is out of where it belongs, step on it, and continue your landing.

Hint: if it looks right and sounds right it is right!

My CFI routinely adjusts the contrast to "black out" condition on the glass panel and has me land. At random intervals in the pattern he would ask "what's your airspeed?" With practice you will know what 80-70-60 kts feels and looks like. It's a good feeling!

Good luck!

Nervous is good. Keeps you attentive. Your training will kick in once your airborne. As my plane magically left the ground for the first time with just me at the controls, I remember saying to myself...WHAT THE F%$# AM I DOING? :yikes: I don't need to do this. :loco:

Turns out the 3 landing were the best I ever had to that point. When I requested taxi instructions back to the FBO, Tower even complemented me. One of the best experiences of my life.

Fly the numbers you learned, you'll do great.

Keep the airspeed at or slightly above pattern speed for whatever leg of the pattern you are flying. You should be able to fly the pattern at 25* angle of bank. If you feel you need over 30 AOB the setup is wrong, could of misjudged the wind pushing across final too. If so go around.

You will only go solo with good weather and gentle winds, early morning or the evening is a great time.

The base to final spin developes from a skidding turn caused when the pilot is afraid to apply enuf' bank to keep the turn coordinated so instead he "rudders" it around. At this stage if a steep enuf' turn is required to need a steeper bank than you're comfortable with just go-around and next try start the turn a little earlier.
BTW, what airplane are you flying? If the school has something approved for intentional spins suggest sometime you find an instructor that's comfortable with them and go up and do a session of basic spin training, it's natural to fear the unknown, shine the light on the boogyman and he goes away ;)

I was damn nervous for my first solo. Those of us who know it's coming I think it's somewhat natural to be nervous. But, I also think you are way over-stressing on the negatives. Fly your numbers on take-off, and landing. And remember, your cfi will most likely make you do three unassisted laps around the pattern first. Nail those, and then nail the next three by yourself.

Reading one of the above comments, I also had the thought pass through my mind after the first rotation: what in the hell have I gotten myself into? Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Interesting reading this.... I don't recall being nervous about the solo. What scared me were the first solo cross countries. Finding the airports without blundering into the wrong airspace, etc.... My point is we all have things that worry us, just fly! And follow up with a report here when you make those 3 perfect landings.

^^That's the real question in my mind. If you solo and you decide you've accomplished what you set out to do, don't waste more money, time and anxiety finishing the PPL. There's lots of stuff out there to do. Flying is just one of them.

I would at least wait until you complete XC solo before giving up. That was the first time I really felt like a pilot. Navigating to a distant airport made it real. I was also much more confident in ability at that point. I definitely enjoyed the solo XC much more than first solo.

I am almost exactly where Matt is in hours. been practicing takeoffs and landings(with instructor)and getting to point where instructor is just a passenger, flying closed pattern. the other day we also practiced emergency procedures for first time: what to do when engine fire, as well as engine out. I am very focused on getting to solo, and my instructor has explained what I need to learn

question: what is a stage check? this terminology is new to me

I am almost exactly where Matt is in hours. been practicing takeoffs and landings(with instructor)and getting to point where instructor is just a passenger, flying closed pattern. the other day we also practiced emergency procedures for first time: what to do when engine fire, as well as engine out. I am very focused on getting to solo, and my instructor has explained what I need to learn

question: what is a stage check? this terminology is new to me

I guess it depends on where you are learning to fly, but a stage check is a flight you take with a different instructor to ensure that your skills are where they need to be. I only had one during my PPL training, and it was the flight before my solo.

I agree with the above comments about the XC solo. The first time you take the plane out of town, by yourself, that was quite nerve-wracking as well. Also, it's a huge confidence booster when you make it back in one piece!

All the above comments/advice are spot on. You're ready. Just do what you have been trained to do.

I'll relay my solo experience (burned in my memory like yesterday):

Did 3 T&Gs with the instructor in the old C172. I was especially aware to say everything out loud so she knew what I was thinking and doing. If I was doing anything wrong I wanted her to correct me strongly right then and there. The 3 T&Gs were normal -- not great but no big bounces. As I rolled out the third one, she called tower "full stop". Cleared to taxi back to the flight school. As we approached the flight school hangar, she told me "stop her on the taxiway." She grabbed my log book from the back seat, signed it, hopped out, and "Three touch-n-goes. Have fun."

I replied with the straight-ed face I could muster, "I will call you when I land at the beach". She looked at me with a bit horror on her face; then smiled, wagged her finger at me, and shut the door. I taxied back to the hold short line and informed tower I was ready for take-off. Cleared. Took position on RWY18 and did my thing, saying my steps out loud to myself. Throttle... Roll... airspeed alive..... rotate.... and up I go. I smiled big.

Tower: "Cessna 21K, make left closed traffic. Report the base."

I climbed, turned left crosswind continuing to climb. Got to pattern altitude and turned left for downwind. Still smiling. Looked the 1-1/2 miles ahead and thought to myself "OK, turn base there and report". Then it hit me -- I have to land this plane all by myself. Worry started settling in as I flew the downwind. Can I do it? What if something goes wrong? Doubt. Uncertainty. A bit of fear.

I arrived abeam the numbers and I thought to myself "Just do what you have been taught" I flew my numbers, saying every step out loud to an empty right seat. The first T&G was the same as before -- not great but not bad either.

Clean the plane up.... push the throttle back in... accelerate... rotate... back in the air.

I HAD DONE IT! I COULD LAND THE PLANE ALL BY MYSELF!

The next two T&Gs, I was reasonably relaxed. I noticed the quietness --- no instructor telling me "do this. do that. don't forget those" I even looked out the window a bit. I flew the plane. Now, I can truly say "I am a pilot."

On the third final, I called tower "Tower, 21K. Full stop." As I rolled out, tower transmitted "21K, turn left on delta then alpha to parking. (PAUSE) Congratulations. They looked great."

That day rates right up there in my memory with the day I got married and the day my son was born.

Do what you have been trained to do. Start the day a flight school student. Finish the day, a true pilot. Enjoy!

Surprised some student solos are not restricted to full stop landings. I was never permitted to do touch 'n go as a student solo.

I remember my first solo like it was yesterday, got super lucky with great weather and it hands down rates with one of the top experiences of my life. When it's all said and done you will have done what so few has. Taking a flying machine into the air by yourself, and bringing it back down (nicely of course). No one can ever in your entire life take away the fact that you flew an airplane by YOURSELF!

I always told my students and other students this. If an instructor is signing you off they trust you. When you are soloing you are basically flying on your instructors pilot certificate. If they trust you enough to allow that to happen you're ready. No instructor would sign you off for a solo if they weren't certain of your ability! Believe in yourself and bieleve in your instructor.

Everyone has been spot on, enjoy, don't be nervous just do what you have been doing. I remember my solo very well, it wasn't that long ago.
I was not really that nervous at the time but the adrenalin kick in after my third landing.
My instructor said give me 3 good ones any way you want, full stop or T&G, my response was I'll give you three....LOL
It was a little more breezy/gusty than normal and I thought to myself what is he thinking. I've done a few gusty/breezy cross wind landings without to much trouble, but right now?? Two of the landings were pretty good and one was not that bad but not all that great either. My instructor said all looked good, how did it feel. I said great, but was a little disappointed in one landing.
After departing the plane I noticed my hand was not as steady when filling out the check as it usually is.:)
The instructor knows your abilities better than you do, if he says it's time, it's time.

Last edited:
Interesting reading this.... I don't recall being nervous about the solo. What scared me were the first solo cross countries. Finding the airports without blundering into the wrong airspace, etc....

This was me. I had to wait on some medical stuff and by the time that came in, I was more than ready to solo. Short final was the only time I remember thinking about having to land myself.

My cross countries were much more nerve racking. I almost turned back on my long x-c because of some turbulence, but I pushed on and did just fine.

And I solo'd Friday! Only one lap around the pattern because I got a clogged injector as I climbed out and could only climb at about ~65 in a Cessna 172. Didn't scare me too much as the plane was still flying - turned crosswind, downwind, base, final, and landed! Got extended out by ATC as #2 so I had to do a wide base and ended up being a little high, but figure not bad for first solo!

Thanks all!!!!!

And I solo'd Friday! Only one lap around the pattern because I got a clogged injector as I climbed out and could only climb at about ~65 in a Cessna 172. Didn't scare me too much as the plane was still flying - turned crosswind, downwind, base, final, and landed! Got extended out by ATC as #2 so I had to do a wide base and ended up being a little high, but figure not bad for first solo!

Thanks all!!!!!

Congrats on first solo, pilot!

Thanks all!!!!!
Way to go!

Now finish up. Way too many quit at this point, when they are soooo close to the freedom of being a pilot.

Back