Passed my PPL Checkride this morning

wilzup

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Eric D
Passed my PPL Checkride this morning w/ debrief

All things considered, it was a great day. I had hoped for less wind but, I was able to successfully complete all my maneuvers with the standard.
Once I unwind a little and gather my thoughts, I will attempt to do a recap of the oral and practical.

Eric

Last edited:
WooHoo!!!!!!

Looking forward to the write-up

Congratulations!

Congrats on your license to learn! :)

Now that ya got it what ya gonna go do with it?

I am going to enjoy flying local with some cross country. I'll get checked out in a 172 or an Archer before I decide to take passengers up. I love the DA20 but it is an interesting ride in moderate wind.

Eric

I can tell you are a great pilot just by your first name. congrats!

Congrats Eric, how was the ride?

I am going to enjoy flying local with some cross country. I'll get checked out in a 172 or an Archer before I decide to take passengers up. I love the DA20 but it is an interesting ride in moderate wind.

Eric

What flight school?

Congrats! I passed my ride about a year ago at LZU too! I started flying the da20 recently and love it! Enjoy the new freedom!

Congratulations! I'm anxious to read the write-up and also to hear about your first passenger flight. Just wait until you realize someone trusts you enough to put their life in your hands. :)

**This was my experience, yours may be and probably will be different**

My oral started roughly around 8:45a yesterday. I woke early and studied a little more and got to the school around 7:30. I decided to do the preflight early so I would have that done. I had planned on telling him after the oral portion that I had completed it earlier however, if he wanted to come back out to observe I would be glad to do it again. After the oral portion I did just that and he told me “You do a pre-check every time you do a training lesson, you’ve done an emergency decent or power-off landing maybe 3-4 times. That is what I want to see.”
We started the oral portion with the required briefings; Temporary, Discontinuance, & Failure.
I won’t go over every single question he asked because quite honestly if you made it past your written some of the same questions were asked. The vast majority of the questions were situational and they want to know what it states specifically in the FAR/AIM and not your interpretation of it.
· If your maintenance log is not tabbed, make sure it is before you go in there. Knowing exactly where to find the AD’s, 100hr and Annuals saved a lot of time.
· There was an emphasis on intimate knowledge of your powerplant and prop
· Know your graphical wxr charts and what they are depicting
· I was asked a lot of question on the sectional. IE; differences between the Airways, Show me Controlled Fire Airspace(not shown), what do the magenta flags mean? etc
· Know the difference between primary and secondary flight controls surfaces and what they affect.
· He asked one question where he already had his FAR/AIM opened to the page because he assumed I didn’t know the answer……..and I didn’t. What is Somatogravic Illusion? AIM 8.1.5. He advised that an accident had recent occurred and that was identified as the culprit.
We talked for about an hour and fifteen minutes and we were done. It wasn’t a grilling but more of a sharpened understanding of what I knew and an explanation of what I didn’t. It was a pleasant experience.
Since it was so windy, he told me that the PTS standards are based on calm conditions and to not worry about nailing all the maneuvers. In otherwords, I had some latitude. I started my xcountry and it was diverted at my first checkpoint. After I had the runway in sight, we broke off and climbed to get above the turbulence and started maneuvers. Steep turns, slow fight, power –off/ approach stall, power-on/departure stall, emergency decent and landing were all done within PTS standards. I then performed shortfield TO/LD and softfield TO/LD. From there we navigated back to KLZU and I was done. I guess he decided turns around a point and S turns were useless in 18G23 winds and I was thankful. The flight wasn’t perfect but, I am certificated and proud of it!
Anyone that wants more granular info just IM me.

Thanks,
Eric

**This was my experience, yours may be and probably will be different**

My oral started roughly around 8:45a yesterday. I woke early and studied a little more and got to the school around 7:30. I decided to do the preflight early so I would have that done. I had planned on telling him after the oral portion that I had completed it earlier however, if he wanted to come back out to observe I would be glad to do it again. After the oral portion I did just that and he told me “You do a pre-check every time you do a training lesson, you’ve done an emergency decent or power-off landing maybe 3-4 times. That is what I want to see.”
We started the oral portion with the required briefings; Temporary, Discontinuance, & Failure.
I won’t go over every single question he asked because quite honestly if you made it past your written some of the same questions were asked. The vast majority of the questions were situational and they want to know what it states specifically in the FAR/AIM and not your interpretation of it.
· If your maintenance log is not tabbed, make sure it is before you go in there. Knowing exactly where to find the AD’s, 100hr and Annuals saved a lot of time.
· There was an emphasis on intimate knowledge of your powerplant and prop
· Know your graphical wxr charts and what they are depicting
· I was asked a lot of question on the sectional. IE; differences between the Airways, Show me Controlled Fire Airspace(not shown), what do the magenta flags mean? etc
· Know the difference between primary and secondary flight controls surfaces and what they affect.
· He asked one question where he already had his FAR/AIM opened to the page because he assumed I didn’t know the answer……..and I didn’t. What is Somatogravic Illusion? AIM 8.1.5. He advised that an accident had recent occurred and that was identified as the culprit.
We talked for about an hour and fifteen minutes and we were done. It wasn’t a grilling but more of a sharpened understanding of what I knew and an explanation of what I didn’t. It was a pleasant experience.
Since it was so windy, he told me that the PTS standards are based on calm conditions and to not worry about nailing all the maneuvers. In otherwords, I had some latitude. I started my xcountry and it was diverted at my first checkpoint. After I had the runway in sight, we broke off and climbed to get above the turbulence and started maneuvers. Steep turns, slow fight, power –off/ approach stall, power-on/departure stall, emergency decent and landing were all done within PTS standards. I then performed shortfield TO/LD and softfield TO/LD. From there we navigated back to KLZU and I was done. I guess he decided turns around a point and S turns were useless in 18G23 winds and I was thankful. The flight wasn’t perfect but, I am certificated and proud of it!
Anyone that wants more granular info just IM me.

Thanks,
Eric

Great write-up and congrats again! One question/comment, though... You did a preflight before the oral but then didn't preflight again before the flight? How can you be sure that the fuel truck didn't come by and ding a control surface while you were inside? That's just one of many reasons why I preflight before every flight and don't let the plane out of my sight between preflight and startup.

Sounds like you did a great job on the flight, though, even in the gusty conditions. Congratulations pilot!

Advanced Aviation out of KLZU.

Very good. I just left some cards with Bruce this morning and a letter about a program we have this year at EAA 690. See Bruce and he will give you a card for a free breakfast at our next pancake breakfast on Saturday, February 7th beginning at 8:00 am.

Great write-up and congrats again! One question/comment, though... You did a preflight before the oral but then didn't preflight again before the flight? How can you be sure that the fuel truck didn't come by and ding a control surface while you were inside? That's just one of many reasons why I preflight before every flight and don't let the plane out of my sight between preflight and startup.

Sounds like you did a great job on the flight, though, even in the gusty conditions. Congratulations pilot!
Very good point!

Very good. I just left some cards with Bruce this morning and a letter about a program we have this year at EAA 690. See Bruce and he will give you a card for a free breakfast at our next pancake breakfast on Saturday, February 7th beginning at 8:00 am.
Great! Thanks. I will see him Saturday.

Congrats and welcome to the pilot community! Thanks for the nice writeup, many of us haven't taken a check ride for decades :yikes: so it is interesting to see what it is like nowadays.

Congrats! Welcome to the club

Congrats Eric. I fly out of LZU as well. If you every want to take a ride in an R22, let me know.

Tony

Back