Passed my IFR Written yesterday

Bonchie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bonchie
Made a 98.

Used Gleim's online practices tests and study guides to prepare for about the last month.

The one question I missed?

(paraphrased) What do you do if you inadvertently penetrate a line of embedded thunderstorms?

I put turn around and reverse course. Seems like a reasonable decision but after the test I knew it was supposed to be reduce speed and keep a straight/level attitude.

Oh well. I'm actually surprised I did so well. There were 2-3 questions I narrowed down to two answers and answered with some uncertainty.

I was shooting for around a 90, but I'll take the 98 :wink2:

Good job Anthony.
Now, keep learning.

Some observations:

- No ADF or NDB approach questions at all.
- Only one multi-level question (had to do winds, course time, and calculate fuel or something across like 5 figures).
- A lot of altitude related questions dealing with en-route charts.
- A ton of weather questions. A lot more then came up on the practice tests at any one time. Multiple icing questions, squall speeds, wind shear, fronts, air masses, etc.

Best advice for someone studying is don't get so caught up in the approaches and holds that you don't know the weather stuff.

Thanks for the insight Anthony. I'm studying for my instrument written exam and will get the Gleim study guide and practice tests. I have ASA test prep and Shepard Air.

Thanks for the insight Anthony. I'm studying for my instrument written exam and will get the Gleim study guide and practice tests. I have ASA test prep and Shepard Air.

You'll do fine with Sheppard Air.

I use Gleim in basically the same way. I took probably 75 practice tests so that I knew the questions well. After every test, there's a study review for each missed question that explains why and what the correct answer is that I'd go through. That would help me learn from my mistakes.

Good job on the written,now go get the flying done

Congratulations on the test!

Have you started the flying portion yet? If so, how far along are you? If not, what are you waiting for?! ;)

Congratulations on the test!

Have you started the flying portion yet? If so, how far along are you? If not, what are you waiting for?! ;)

Haven't started yet. Wanted to get the written out of the way. I'll start flying (or simulator) next week. Took me four months to get my private. I plan on keeping a brisk pace for the IFR as well. Don't want to spend the next 12 months under the foggles every time I fly.

Haven't started yet. Wanted to get the written out of the way. I'll start flying (or simulator) next week. Took me four months to get my private. I plan on keeping a brisk pace for the IFR as well. Don't want to spend the next 12 months under the foggles every time I fly.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Keep us updated on your progress!

Congratulations. 98 is a job VERY well done, do not confuse it with with anything else.
I got caught off-guard by some de-icing equipment questions on my written (frankly, IMHO, I believe those are POH-specific questions) and thought I "flunked" with my 92. But as long as you find out the deficiency on the test and address it and retrain, it's all that matters.

Now go do some foggle work and then bust a cloud with a CFII! :)

Back