Passed my Checkride! *Warning LONG POST!!*

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
I had my instrument checkride on Friday afternoon and passed with flying colors! Below will be a summary of the checkride. I apologize beforehand about the length. :D

I meet up with the DPE at the airport at 1 that afternoon and chatted for a few minutes before starting. He started the checkride by stating that this is just two pilots talking about flying. So just, answer any questions as if I was one of your friends. We started with IFR currency and aircraft equipment requirements and moved on to my x/c planning. He was amazed at my knowledge of charts and approach plates. I told him since I love maps it come easy to me. Since we flew through that section he told me about an ILS approach in NH with waypoints that spell out “I tawt I taw a puddy tat”. Can anyone guess who says this? :D He also told me about how partial panel was done in the early days. The pilots would use there whiskey compass for horizontal stability and the airspeed and RPM gauge for vertical stability. He gave me one “bonus” question which was when did an ATIS not report clouds or visibility in the report. To which the answer is about 5000’ and 5 miles. He said very few people get that question right. I learned the reasoning behind the marker beacon color and morse code choices. After that bit of knowledge, we stopped for a break and the flying part of the ride.

When I went out to pre-flight I found a med-evac heli parked in front on the aircraft, which surprised me. I had pushed the plane back behind our fuel farm, which is closer to flight ops then the shade hanger. I had a conversation with the med-evac pilot and found out he was friends with a few of our professor/CFIs. The flight part I found was easier then my EOC had been with our chief CFI. We did a ILS, VOR and a partial panel GPS back into our home airport. During the flight he tried to distract me by asking questions about my life and random stuff. However, I have always talked during flights so I am use to holding a conversation. The ILS was interesting to say the least.

The ILS was the full procedure ILS 5 into KHOT. This involves hitting HOT VOR over the field at 4000’ and proceeding outbound 230* to the IAF of HOSSY. Well while outbound, you can descend to 2600’ before HOSSY on the feeder route. Once you hit HOSSY your good down to 2500’ until your back inbound with the GS. Anyway outbound to HOSSY I found myself head on into “company traffic”. Our chief CFI was in the other Piper inbound on the VOR 5. Therefore, I had to stay at 4000’ until we both past HOSSY. This put me 1500’ high on my procedure turn. Thankfully, I was able to get the aircraft down and slowed before inbound HOSSY. The DPE said I did a very smart thing by staying high and informing MEM Center, the DPE, of our situation. During the approach, I busted altitudes a few times but corrected as swiftly as possible. The approach goes over some high ridges so thermals and rising air makes the approach kind of fun in the spring and summer. At one point, I was at idle with the plane nosed over and still was gaining altitude. The DPE told me not to worry that he had done this approach many times before and knew how hard holding altitude is on a warm sunny day.

The rest of the flight went without a hitch. My unusual attitudes were fine and my glass cockpit “partial panel” was good. The partial panel was dimming the PFD and flying on my STBY ATT, AS and ALT. I just pulled up the GPS approach on my MFD and used the compass rose for my HDG.

After shutdown, he said we had some things to talk about and to meet him inside. He proceeded to teach me some things that he saw as lacking. As he was teaching me this, I found out later that he had printed my temporary cert. All I saw walking in was pink paper and the printer. So the first thing in my mind was “Where did I screw up!?!?” I can say he had me going for a minute!

Overall, it was a fun learning experience. The DPE was a really nice person and taught me some interesting stuff. He said that my study skills and my CFI was above normal and excellent!

Last edited:
Well done. "Instrument Airplane" was the best money I've ever spent. There are so many flights that wouldn't be possible VFR yet are lightweight IFR here in SoCal. Based on your location, I'd encourage you to spend a lot of time studying weather (http://avwxworkshops.com/) . Beyond the Weather Brief and Introduction to Skew-T are money well spent.

Again...Well Done and welcome to the IMC club!

CONGRATS!

Get that ticket wet! I think the IA is the most rewarding rating, have fun cloud buster.

Congrats and have fun!!

Do you mind sharing what's the rationale for the marker beacon color and morse code choices? I'm curious but can't find that anywhere..

Welcome to the club! Low visibility is tougher than low ceilings, so establish your own comfort zone with these conditions in mind.

Congratulations and well done! The instrument checkride is one of the most dreaded checkrides. No need to apologize for the length of your write-up, posts like yours are a good part of the reason why we all read these forums!

Congrats and have fun!!

Do you mind sharing what's the rationale for the marker beacon color and morse code choices? I'm curious but can't find that anywhere..

Yeah no problem. The DPE said its based on how close to danger you are.

Outer - Blue, here is the approach, with a calm - - - tone
Middle - Amber, meaning caution here is the DH, with a alerting - . - . tone
Inner - White, meaning warning ground imminent DH on a CAT2, with a wake up . . . . tone

This was his take on it, but it makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Congrats AR Flyer! Great job, and I wish you many safe and uneventful IMC flights.

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you had a good ride, and the orals and ride itself should be learning experiences too, your DPE did you well.

Congrats! Be on top of the world right now and enjoy!

I passed mine in Jan of this year with flying colors too. I was and am still pumped by the rating.

That being said, I quickly learned...as so many have said...that the IR is a license to learn. I have been humbled by the things I have been exposed to since I got my rating, and continue to learn every time I file.

Enjoy and stay current!

Tom

Last edited:
Congratulations! I think I was actually more excited the day I got my IR than the day I got my private!

Congratulations! Go get it wet!

FYI, if you had failed the checkride he would have told you. They have to tell you the moment that they decide to fail you. They'll usually give you the option of stopping or continuing the ride. If you continue, then you only have to perform the failed task(s) when you retest.

Good Job!

Question: Did the controller screw up by allowing 2 aircraft on a head-on course in (simulated) IMC on the same segments?

Good Job!

Question: Did the controller screw up by allowing 2 aircraft on a head-on course in (simulated) IMC on the same segments?

KHOT is only Class E to the surface. Sometimes I wish there was a tower. It gets kinda crazy. Between all the GA guys you got Delta CRJs flying in and out for MX checks. Some days there will be two guys practicing either VOR/ILS 5, two guys in the PTN for 23, some IFR biz jets inbound who have never been to KHOT, and a fire tanker taking off on 31.

I normally tune in MEM Center for this area so I will have a heads up if any IFR traffic is inbound. This has saved me and a few IFR flights from being told to hold somewhere because of traffic already in the area.

I have done several head to head approaches with a guy taking off on 23. We just say we're "FAF inbound low approach only" and the guy taking off towards us will say he will be a left turn out. So by the time we even get close he is 1000' AGL and going away from us.

Congrats! The IR really is one of the tougher ratings to achieve. Also one that carries great responsibility.

Good Job!

KHOT is only Class E to the surface. Sometimes I wish there was a tower. It gets kinda crazy. Between all the GA guys you got Delta CRJs flying in and out for MX checks. Some days there will be two guys practicing either VOR/ILS 5, two guys in the PTN for 23, some IFR biz jets inbound who have never been to KHOT, and a fire tanker taking off on 31.

I normally tune in MEM Center for this area so I will have a heads up if any IFR traffic is inbound. This has saved me and a few IFR flights from being told to hold somewhere because of traffic already in the area.

I have done several head to head approaches with a guy taking off on 23. We just say we're "FAF inbound low approach only" and the guy taking off towards us will say he will be a left turn out. So by the time we even get close he is 1000' AGL and going away from us.

My question was as much about IR procedures versus about that particular environment.

What safeguards are in place to prevent this ending in tears in an IMC situation? Is it simply the PIC's responsibilty to "hear and avoid"?

My question was as much about IR procedures versus about that particular environment.

What safeguards are in place to prevent this ending in tears in an IMC situation? Is it simply the PIC's responsibilty to "hear and avoid"?

In IMC Center will not let two aircraft be on approach into an uncontrolled airport. So if I was the second aircraft going into KHOT and Center already had a guy shooting the ILS I would be told to hold.

In IMC Center will not let two aircraft be on approach into an uncontrolled airport. So if I was the second aircraft going into KHOT and Center already had a guy shooting the ILS I would be told to hold.

It has nothing to do with IMC, it has to do with operating under IFR. The weather can be clear and a million and if there is a regional jet on the approach into some podunk airport they'll be sticking you into a hold or delaying you with vectors. You of course have the option to cancel IFR and just proceed under VFR.

IMC != IFR
VMC != VFR

It has nothing to do with IMC, it has to do with operating under IFR. The weather can be clear and a million and if there is a regional jet on the approach into some podunk airport they'll be sticking you into a hold or delaying you with vectors. You of course have the option to cancel IFR and just proceed under VFR.

IMC != IFR
VMC != VFR

So why did this NOT happen in this case?

So why did this NOT happen in this case?
Well because one or both of them wasn't operating under IFR. In VMC it's still see and avoid. A controller separates IFR traffic from IFR traffic. Not IFR traffic from VFR traffic.

Well because one or both of them wasn't operating under IFR. In VMC it's still see and avoid. A controller separates IFR traffic from IFR traffic. Not IFR traffic from VFR traffic.
:idea:Ah! the DPE was acting as safety pilot!

IMC != IFR
VMC != VFR

Haha I knew something did not sound right about my post!!! :D

Yep he was acting as the safety pilot for the flight.

Back