Passed my checkride today!!!

CARLOS W

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wild2fly
Well I will keep it short. I started this journey 8 months ago. I work 80-100hr weeks so proves if you really want to do something you can! With the wife not approving and people always telling me don't kill yourself it all worked out great. Just want to thank everyone for keeping me motivated throughout the time. Special thanks to big bad Lou for always being available to bounce ideas. My DPE was very laid back and I felt no nerves at all. We flew ( no pun intended) through the oral portion. I felt over prepared lol. He was straight to the point. No trick questions or boxing me in. We headed out to the plane and did my preflight with him behind me asking few questions from time to time. Felt at home in the cockpit. I did my passenger briefing and finished the rest of my checks. I Fly out of a class Delta so did all my calls. So started to my first 2 check points pure pilotage and dead reckoning no gps and did a groundspeed test. He then just told me to put my hood on and we did hood work and unusual attitudes . After that I did my steep turns, power off / power on stalls, engine fire, engine out descents, S turns and diverted back to the airport. I did all full stop landings. Regular, short field, go around, slip to land, and finished with a smooth soft field (prob my best one ever). Of course did all the take offs. Taxied to park and walked in to do paperwork. He asked me if hungry and ate BBQ at the FBO while he debriefed. After he handed me my temp certificate and said congratulations . It didn't sink in until i drove off and had the biggest grin on my face.. told my self now what?!? Lol going to get renters insurance and start flying to different airport's. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Good job man! I like hearing stories of going against the grain not having 100% of family or friends initially behind you, only to prove to yourself and everyone else that you are more than capable to become a pilot!

Now what? In time get your instrument rating! Don't stop learning and training!

That's my plan. Just start taking xc flights to different airport's and enjoy it. Then slowly start prepping for IFR written and when think I'm ready will go tackle it.

Just take your time and error on the side of caution for the first few cross country flights. You will get there! Fly solo as well at first!
Just my advice...well done!

Wonderful Carlos. I do remember all you were going thru back when you started and your wife's unsureness. Is that a word? Eh who cares. Congrats man! Well done.

Nice job! Hope the wife get on board (literally and figuratively). I love flying with my wife

Well done! Keep flyin'. And post some pics!!

Wonderful Carlos. I do remember all you were going thru back when you started and your wife's unsureness. Is that a word? Eh who cares. Congrats man! Well done.
Thanks!

Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well I will keep it short. I started this journey 8 months ago. I work 80-100hr weeks so proves if you really want to do something you can! With the wife not approving and people always telling me don't kill yourself it all worked out great. Just want to thank everyone for keeping me motivated throughout the time. Special thanks to big bad Lou for always being available to bounce ideas. My DPE was very laid back and I felt no nerves at all. We flew ( no pun intended) through the oral portion. I felt over prepared lol. He was straight to the point. No trick questions or boxing me in. We headed out to the plane and did my preflight with him behind me asking few questions from time to time. Felt at home in the cockpit. I did my passenger briefing and finished the rest of my checks. I Fly out of a class Delta so did all my calls. So started to my first 2 check points pure pilotage and dead reckoning no gps and did a groundspeed test. He then just told me to put my hood on and we did hood work and unusual attitudes . After that I did my steep turns, power off / power on stalls, engine fire, engine out descents, S turns and diverted back to the airport. I did all full stop landings. Regular, short field, go around, slip to land, and finished with a smooth soft field (prob my best one ever). Of course did all the take offs. Taxied to park and walked in to do paperwork. He asked me if hungry and ate BBQ at the FBO while he debriefed. After he handed me my temp certificate and said congratulations . It didn't sink in until i drove off and had the biggest grin on my face.. told my self now what?!? Lol going to get renters insurance and start flying to different airport's. Thanks again!!
Congrats! 8 months, not bad, you beat me by 16 months!

Congrats! Im going on 2 years and hope to be done in October. You were done in rocket time!

Awesome Carlos!!!!! Congratulations :)

So the big question...who are you taking up for your first ride?

Congratulations, my friend!
We never doubted you could do it, just the scheduling around the weather was tough.
Glad you got her done. Now go take your wife up! (on a calm evening or morning)

Congratulations, my friend!
We never doubted you could do it, just the scheduling around the weather was tough.
Glad you got her done. Now go take your wife up! (on a calm evening or morning)

Well didn't do a morning but a nice sunset flight

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170915-202857.png
    Screenshot_20170915-202857.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Well done especially with your work load...mission accomplished!
Just started my own studies in July.
Nice to see so much support and positive feedback here!

Back