Passed My Check Ride

Bob T

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bob T
I passed my check ride yesterday! Wooo Hooo!

The examiner's printer went on the fritz, so we had to type out another copy of the IACRA application and the temporary cert. It will probably end up being more paperwork again, but at least I got through it!

Congratulations Pilot!
Got your first passenger lined up?

Congrats now go out and fly ,for the fun of it.

Congratulations, Bob! Now to find the best $100 hamburger with an hour or two flight of your home base... :)

Congratulations, Bob! Now to find the best $100 hamburger with an hour or two flight of your home base... :)

Yep. When I showed my wife my temp cert when I got home, she said, "Does this mean we can go to lunch?" :yes:

SWEET! Now turn off the computer and GO FLY SOMETHING!

Way to go! Congrats!!

Congratulations! More details!

Yep. When I showed my wife my temp cert when I got home, she said, "Does this mean we can go to lunch?" :yes:

That's the attitude on her part that you want to keep. It can only get better.

Congratulations on passing the ride. Now that you've got the license to learn, go forth and do!

Kudos! Wonderful news and a huge accomplishment.

Welcome to the League of Temporary Airmen!

Congrats!!! :happydance:
I guess now we have to teach you the secret handshake...:yes:

:ohsnap:

Congrats, now its time to take some pax with you :) have fun!

Congrats! How was it? I'm doing my last 3 hours in "prep" for the checkride this week (might have to do some next week), so I'm reading all the stories I can get

Congrats! How was it? I'm doing my last 3 hours in "prep" for the checkride this week (might have to do some next week), so I'm reading all the stories I can get

I made myself more nervous than I needed to be. I was probably more concerned about forgetting something for the oral and flight planning than my flying. Although I was a little concerned about the flying because, due to weather and a trip to Denver for a wedding, I had only flown twice in the preceding two and a half weeks.

I started doing things early that morning so that I wasn't in a hurry, which turned out to be a good thing because, I had to get fuel for the airplane and the oil was at the bare minimum so the maintenance guy had to go back and get a quart of oil, as well. We flew over to the DPE's home airport so we got there early to do some T&Gs. It was probably the worst landings that I had done since my first solo. I don't know if it was nervousness, an extra 200ft in TPA than at my home airport or what. He was running a little late getting there from church so I just tried to relax a little. By the time I got through the paperwork and oral, I must have gotten more in the groove because we started off with short and soft field takeoffs and landings which went much better. My instructor thought that that was the first time he ever heard of starting off with those. After that, we started the XC portion and diversion which was pretty uneventful. One thing that I will say, is that during the flight, and pre-flight for that matter, I was telling him what I was doing, so that he understood that my actions were purposeful, attentive and decisive as a PIC. I didn't wait for him to ask questions about what I was doing.

Then we went into the maneuver portion. One thing that I was concerned about was that I had previously been dropping my right wing during power on stalls even when the ball was centered. I came across this page just before my previous practice flight but only got one chance to try it out. The author doesn't say what type of airplane, but the logic of it makes sense and it worked on that previous practice flight and on the check ride in the C-172 that I've been using. The DPE didn't say much except when he wanted me to do something specific, but I actually heard him mutter, "good" after the recovery from that power on stall.
http://www.mountainflying.com/Pages/mountain-flying/stalls_revisited.html

On the turns around a point, he seemed kind of irritated that I was doing them too slow. I was doing them at about traffic pattern rpm, maybe I was a little slow. Anyway, he wanted them done faster. So I picked up the pace and did fine with that. Just don't get rattled and be your own enemy. Be prepared to recover from an unusual attitude. I'm sure I'm leaving some things out, but of course, the whole time, I'm wondering what his perception is of everything. After all was done he just said "Well, you passed." I said, "okay, great." But in that moment, in my head, I'm screaming "YES!"

I made myself more nervous than I needed to be. I was probably more concerned about forgetting something for the oral and flight planning than my flying. Although I was a little concerned about the flying because, due to weather and a trip to Denver for a wedding, I had only flown twice in the preceding two and a half weeks.

I started doing things early that morning so that I wasn't in a hurry, which turned out to be a good thing because, I had to get fuel for the airplane and the oil was at the bare minimum so the maintenance guy had to go back and get a quart of oil, as well. We flew over to the DPE's home airport so we got there early to do some T&Gs. It was probably the worst landings that I had done since my first solo. I don't know if it was nervousness, an extra 200ft in TPA than at my home airport or what. He was running a little late getting there from church so I just tried to relax a little. By the time I got through the paperwork and oral, I must have gotten more in the groove because we started off with short and soft field takeoffs and landings which went much better. My instructor thought that that was the first time he ever heard of starting off with those. After that, we started the XC portion and diversion which was pretty uneventful. One thing that I will say, is that during the flight, and pre-flight for that matter, I was telling him what I was doing, so that he understood that my actions were purposeful, attentive and decisive as a PIC. I didn't wait for him to ask questions about what I was doing.

Then we went into the maneuver portion. One thing that I was concerned about was that I had previously been dropping my right wing during power on stalls even when the ball was centered. I came across this page just before my previous practice flight but only got one chance to try it out. The author doesn't say what type of airplane, but the logic of it makes sense and it worked on that previous practice flight and on the check ride in the C-172 that I've been using. The DPE didn't say much except when he wanted me to do something specific, but I actually heard him mutter, "good" after the recovery from that power on stall.
http://www.mountainflying.com/Pages/mountain-flying/stalls_revisited.html

On the turns around a point, he seemed kind of irritated that I was doing them too slow. I was doing them at about traffic pattern rpm, maybe I was a little slow. Anyway, he wanted them done faster. So I picked up the pace and did fine with that. Just don't get rattled and be your own enemy. Be prepared to recover from an unusual attitude. I'm sure I'm leaving some things out, but of course, the whole time, I'm wondering what his perception is of everything. After all was done he just said "Well, you passed." I said, "okay, great." But in that moment, in my head, I'm screaming "YES!"

I see you're in St. Louis. Where did you learn?

The guy at St Louis flight seems to be a nice guy.

Yes, he's a good guy. A very entrepreneurial young man as well. He's around 27 or 28 and he's got the school and some kind of corporate aircraft leasing operation. Then he has some kind of deals going on with wineries in Missouri.

Yes, he's a good guy. A very entrepreneurial young man as well. He's around 27 or 28 and he's got the school and some kind of corporate aircraft leasing operation. Then he has some kind of deals going on with wineries in Missouri.

How are the rates over there? I learned up at St. Charles Smartt airport with St. Charles Flying Service (started with Sport, but changed to PPL midway through so just stayed there) but it's a pretty good drive for me.

How are the rates over there? I learned up at St. Charles Smartt airport with St. Charles Flying Service (started with Sport, but changed to PPL midway through so just stayed there) but it's a pretty good drive for me.

At St. Louis Flight, the C152 is 99/hr wet, and the C172 is 135/hr wet. At Ideal, the C172 is 90/hr dry which with the fuel discount for having a credit card on file and 10% off for paying for a 10 hr block ends up being about the same price. No sales tax in Illinois either, so that might be an additional cost in MO. Ideal also has a PA28 and an SR20.

Last edited:
Awesome, we flew in to Ideal Friday afternoon and spent Saturday at the Arch and in line for BBQ at Pappy's, suggested by one of the staff at Ideal. They put my 172 in the hangar overnight while the hail threatened, which was greatly appreciated. That system took forever to clear out but congrats on getting the checkride done.

Nice place CPS, enjoy your new home.

Back