Passed IR Written

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
So, I finally took and passed the IR written after some self-study. Got a 93%. Yay. :)

Now I can start my training without caring about TWEBs, or whether to select the free gyro mode and then press the clockwise or counterclockwise drive button on my remote indicating compass. :goofy:

I can also stop bugging y'all as much. Thanks!

Passed mine a mont ago. Now the hard part, getting 40 plus hours of instruction/time. I am finding it harder than I expected.

Passed mine a mont ago. Now the hard part, getting 40 plus hours of instruction/time. I am finding it harder than I expected.
Congratulations to both of you! Getting the time in was the hardest part for me too -- not getting enough to meet the minimum requirements, but training frequently enough to build momentum toward the checkride, especially at the end. Didn't help that the DPE that my CFII sent all his students to had his designation yanked for shady paperwork (at least, paperwork that looked shady to the FAA). In the end my CFII had no one to send me to that he trusted (he has a, ahem, "difficult" personality ;)) and I ended up outside the 2-year window and having to redo the written.

Don't let that happen to you! It's expensive and not a lot of fun.

Congratulations to both of you! Getting the time in was the hardest part for me too -- not getting enough to meet the minimum requirements, but training frequently enough to build momentum toward the checkride, especially at the end. Didn't help that the DPE that my CFII sent all his students to had his designation yanked for shady paperwork (at least, paperwork that looked shady to the FAA). In the end my CFII had no one to send me to that he trusted (he has a, ahem, "difficult" personality ;)) and I ended up outside the 2-year window and having to redo the written.

Don't let that happen to you! It's expensive and not a lot of fun.

It's for this reason alone that while I'm studying for the written, I don't plan on knocking it out until I get further down the road of my experience hours...

For the OP - Congrats! Gotta feel good to know it's outta the way!

Trojan,

Congratulations! What did you use for study material?

Hi Doc, this is a pretty complete list of what I used:

• AvClick's “Click School” by our own dtuuri
  • IFH (pdf)
  • IPH (pdf)
  • Rod Machado’s Instrument Pilot’s Handbook (pdf)
  • FARs (pdf)
  • AIM (pdf)
  • Instrument Flying, by Richard L. Taylor
  • The IFR Enroute Low Altitude Chart for my area
  • Holding Pattern Trainer for iPhone/iPad, by PilotsCafe (awesome app!)
  • Sporty's Study Buddy (Free, $14.95 with explanations)
  • Sheppard Air Test Prep ($40, only source I know of that has some of the unpublished questions relating to the new figures in the 02/14 addendum)

Last edited:
Back