Passed instrument knowledge test

rhvpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RHV PILOT
Need advice after passing instrument knowledge test

Hey guys,

I just passed instrument knowledge test and getting ready to start training. Please give some advice on the most efficient way of completing IR.

I used king knowledge test prep course, is there a course to master skills etc?

Should I use simulator and how much?

How are the 10 days IFR courses?

Last edited:
The way to master skills is by doing and repetition. Definitely take advantage of the simulator and use the maximum amount of time allowed by the sim. Sims are really useful for nailing procedures and you pause and restart and you instructor can walk you through the procedures. You can't do that on the plane.

I'll post a longer answer when I get home later, but the short answer is that effective use of an approved simulation device provides the most efficient training, and a 10-day course can be very effective if you can devote yourself fully to the program.

I'll post a longer answer when I get home later, but the short answer is that effective use of an approved simulation device provides the most efficient training, and a 10-day course can be very effective if you can devote yourself fully to the program.

Having done the 10-day with Ron, I concur. It's a physical and mental workout, but it works.

Sim was used for teaching and practicing important concepts that need repetition for it to stick in your brain. It was much faster (and cheaper) for Ron to hit to pause button, make a change on the laptop driving the sim, hit go, and let me work the lesson again.

Plus when I get really confused, he could pause the machine, provide some coaching, and then press play again.

Then when we flew the hop, repeating the lesson from the sim, I already knew what was expected and how to do it.

The 10-day course was like looking at a 1000-piece puzzle. Day 1 was while the puzzle was dumped on the table and we're trying to find all the edge pieces. Day 10, I nearly had all of the pieces in place and could see the image of the plastic card with the IA endorsement on it.

For full disclosure, I didn't finish my rating while Ron was with me. We ran out of schedule time (had a weather day that killed the schedule) and when we were doing mock checkride, I wasn't up to the PTS so I didn't earn the endorsement from Ron before he had to return home. But it wasn't for lack of trying or Ron giving me all the chances possible.

But would I do instruction from PIC and/or Ron again? Ab-so-toot-ly!

PS. I did get back into the saddle and have my IFR ride scheduled for Sept. 24.

Last edited:
I did the ten day course (actually only eight, I got time off for good behavior) with Ron's company (he wasn't available though the instructor I got was also excellent). The first morning is doing paperwork (TSA nonsense, etc.) followed by learning Command-Performance settings on the simulator. Then the afternoon you do the same thing in the plane. The next couple of days are all simulator/book work (in addition to the simulator, we used the GNS-480 simulator software on a computer sitting on the desk next to the sim to mimic what I was really going to fly. Frankly, while we did a few holds on the sim and ADF work (I have no ADF in the plane) for completeness, much was button mashing on the 480. Pretty much we put the sim away (he said I could play with it if I liked, but you're pretty "flown out" by the time you finish a day of training). We flew the rest of it pretty exclusively in my plane. Long XC and various other stuff culminating with a mock flight check followed by mock oral and filling out the IARCA stuff for the checkride.

Checkride was a complete non-event. Felt confident every inch of the way from the time I shook the examiners hand at the beginning until we were getting our picture taken shaking hands at the end.

The ten day course is the way to go ,if you can handle intensive training.

I did mine over a period of almost two years. Based on what I have read here and elsewhere, if I were doing it again I would do the 10 day course. The only advantage I can think of doing it the way I did was that I had the opportunity to experience all kinds of weather.

As promised...

The effectiveness of a 10-day intensive IR course depends on the student, and the student's commitment to both the training and flying a bunch right after the training is complete.

First, the training is incredibly intense. Most of my students say they were surprised by the level of intensity -- 8-9 hours a day, 10 days in a row, plus an hour or more of homework every night. If you do this on vacation, make sure you're off work for 14 consecutive days, because you'll probably need the other four days at the end to recover before going back to work.

Second, that which is quickly learned is as quickly forgotten unless as quickly exercised. In order to "fix" the newly/quickly learned material in your brain, you must fly one or two IFR hops a week for four to six weeks starting immediately after the practical test. If you don't, within a month, you'll be as though you never took the course (well, not quite that bad, but you certainly won't be ready to launch solo into the IFR system in real IMC).

Third, you'd better be proficient in the plane in which you will take your training. No trading your 172 on a Bonanza two weeks before the IR course, getting five hours transition training from your local CFI, and expecting the IR course to go well. This is especially true for lower-time pilots with no experience in anything but the simple trainer in which they got their 50 XC PIC who then bought something heavy and/or complicated and/or really different, and immediately try to get their IR in it. If you only fly 30 hours a year, and they're the same 30 hours year after year, you probably need a quick proficiency cram course (a commercial pilot flight maneuvers program would be about right) prior to the IR course.

Fourth, you'd better know the nuts and bolts of any IFR GPS or autopilot you have in the plane. While I can teach you how to fly GPS approaches in the normal course of training, the 10-day curriculum doesn't have enough time in it to teach you a Garmin 430 from scratch, no less one of the older, harder-to-use units. If all you know is "direct, enter, enter," it will add at least a day to the program. Add to PIC's daily rate your instructor's expenses for a day, and it's a whole lot cheaper to spend $150 or so and 8-12 hours on your computer with one of the good GPS training courses from Sun Flight Avionics or the like, and then try out your new knowledge on the free Garmin simulator before I get there. For the autopilot, knowing the manual on it is important, including its capabilities and limitations, and any required preflight operational check.

Fifth, you must be academically prepared. If your only IR ground training before the 10-day course is one of those 2-day written test cram courses, you won't know anything but the answers to the written test, and you will not be able to finish the IR flight course in ten days -- figure two to four days extra to learn all the material that would otherwise be learned in a real IR ground training course. I recommend any or all of the following, choice based on your own learning style (and whether or not you can sit still for Martha King):

• Formal IR ground school of 40 hours or so classroom plus home assignments (like those offered by many flight schools and community colleges)
• Self-paced computer based training course like Jeppesen's FliteSchool
• DVD course like King or others
• Book learning, using a good training manual like Bob Gardner's Complete Advanced Pilot or Bill Kersher's Instrument Flight Manual, and/or the FAA Instrument Flight Handbook and FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook

In addition, you should study the following books:

• Current FAR/AIM (especially the ASA version with the list of recommended FAR's and AIM sections for IR/CFII)
• FAA AC 00-6A Aviation Weather
• FAA AC 00-45F Aviation Weather Products

Finally, you must dedicate yourself entirely to the program. Don't just turn off your Blackberry -- leave it in the office. Explain to your family that this isn't a vacation, this isn't even work -- they can't expect you to participate in anything other than your training for the duration. Forget about catching up on your reading (other than IR training books) or email or internet chat. You will eat, sleep, and breathe instrument flying for 10 days, and if you clutter your mind with, or spend your time on, anything else, it won't happen on schedule.

With this preparation, you will find a program like PIC's productive and useful. You'll get real IR training, including sim training (which is highly useful in making the flight time more productive -- teach on the ground, practice in the plane), from a highly experienced instructor (PIC's average 8000 hours) with real-world IFR experience, and you will be well-prepared for actual IFR operations. You will also experience real IFR flying in real IFR weather -- something I consider invaluable, and something your local time-building CFI with no significant real IFR experience may not be comfortable doing. Without this preparation, you'll just end up tired and frustrated – and your instructor will, too, because s/he wants you to succeed just as much as you do.

Thanks all for the valuable information.
I see a lot of recommendation for 10 days course. Given my experience for PPL where there was no end to time and money spent. I really want to go in with a clear mind in terms of time and money.

My work and family engagements wouldn't let me spare 14 consecutive days. However, I am able to manage 3-4 days weekends.

I am talking to an instructor about a package deal. Hoping extensive work on weekends in my cessna 172 with goal to finish in 3-4 weekends. seems like the only practical way in my situation.

Need help understand!

On my first meeting with CFII, I was told 30 hours of training should be enough to get ready for checkride.

When I asked for a lesson guide, syllabus and a package ( in terms of money) with assurance to complete all of the necessary skills, I have been told dollar amount worth 120 hours. The reason told, if I don't pass further training will be free of charge.

I am wondering, what did I miss here? please give input.:confused:

Last edited:
120hrs? Whoooo boy... I'd love to see them explain that with a detailed syllabus to back it up. Nonetheless, it might be the right thing to vote with your feet and walk away from that outfit.

Out of curiosity, where in the country are you?

And I would still encourage you to call Donn H. at PIC headquarters, 1-800-I-FLY-IFR, and discuss how their program might be made to fit your schedule.

30 hours of flight time...but I can tell ya I did the 10 day P.I.C. course and we also did roughly 30 hours of flight time and 10 hours of certified SIM time, BUT we spent close to 90 hours total working together over those 10 days in flight time, prep, ground school, oral prep, briefings, and lesson plans. Yeah that included lunch breaks but we were still learning and discussing during lunch. Then probably another 8 hours total of homework over the first few nights. And that was all with the written completed before starting.

There is a lot more involved than just flight time to do it properly.

I am guessing they quoted ya somewhere between the $5-$6K range which seems to be the going rate for a package IFR course with your own plane.

Based on how you said you would like to achieve your IFR, you may wanna look at finding an independent CFII that will work on a flat negotiated day rate for 8-10 hours and is willing to commit the whole weekend to ya for a few weeks straight.

The advantage of a fixed rate package is that they are motivated you get you through as expeditiously as possible as opposed to an independent that may try and stretch out the hours beyond what you really need. That howver is one of the criticisms of a flat rate deal...there are outfits out there that will try and churn out IFR certs as fast as they can, fully prepared for real world flying or not!

Last edited:
Now I see how you got cthe 120... You were including all of the ground activity. Where I was tagging all of that as flight time.

10 days are great in my opinion. Unless you can very easily retain information and skill (i.e. you are young). I tried it both ways - the long dragged out way and the short intense way. No contest.

Back