Passed IFR Checkride

ArrowFlyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BonanzaDude
After a reschedule due to the DPE's airline flight change I was able to take my checkride today. A small t-storm moving through the area delayed my departure a little, but other than that the checkride went great!!!
biggrin.gif

Upon arriving the examiner made me feel at ease which was a great help as I was very nervous. We then spent close to 2 hours on the oral part of the test although some of it was administrative. After that it was off to fly. After 1.5 hours in the plane doing 3 approaches, unusual attitudes and holding patterns I had passed!!! What a relief.

Thanks to all of those on the board that answered what may have been pretty elementary questions for a newbie like me. I am sure there will be many more to come. I am working on updating my blog with more details of the flight and will do so later tonight or tomorrow morning. I will post here when I am done.

Thanks again to all,
John

After a reschedule due to the DPE's airline flight change I was able to take my checkride today. A small t-storm moving through the area delayed my departure a little, but other than that the checkride went great!!!
biggrin.gif

Upon arriving the examiner made me feel at ease which was a great help as I was very nervous. We then spent close to 2 hours on the oral part of the test although some of it was administrative. After that it was off to fly. After 1.5 hours in the plane doing 3 approaches, unusual attitudes and holding patterns I had passed!!! What a relief.

Thanks to all of those on the board that answered what may have been pretty elementary questions for a newbie like me. I am sure there will be many more to come. I am working on updating my blog with more details of the flight and will do so later tonight or tomorrow morning. I will post here when I am done.

Thanks again to all,
John

Congratulations on what most consider the hardest non-CFI rating you can get.

Here is a rundown of what happened during the checkride.

John

Attachments

• IFR Check Ride.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 50
Wow. thanks for sharing the write up about the ride. Definitely a lot to learn and look forward to when I start in the near future. Congradulations Again on your achievement!!

Great write up. Thanks. I'm going to pass it on to my son, who will be taking his IFR practical in a couple of weeks.

Great writeup. Especially liked some of the lessons learned from the DPE. No need to go macho. Use all the equipment available to you that you're comfortable with.

Just saw this... BRAVO! Congratulations, it's a satisfying rating to earn.

Have you gone solo IMC yet?

Have you gone solo IMC yet?

No IMC yet, but I filed and flew 2 flights on Saturday to attend the Quad City Air Show. The weather was VFR with high stratus on Saturday. I had hoped for some lower clouds where I had filed (5000' out and 4000' back) but it didn't happen.

I should have gone on Sunday rather than Saturday as the conditions would have allowed for some actual time while enroute (BKN 1800 SCT 4000). I kind of felt stupid filing for a 55nm flight, but as I have read on these forums and the red board, file and fly often even if it is severe clear.

John

No IMC yet, but I filed and flew 2 flights on Saturday to attend the Quad City Air Show. The weather was VFR with high stratus on Saturday. I had hoped for some lower clouds where I had filed (5000' out and 4000' back) but it didn't happen.

I should have gone on Sunday rather than Saturday as the conditions would have allowed for some actual time while enroute (BKN 1800 SCT 4000). I kind of felt stupid filing for a 55nm flight, but as I have read on these forums and the red board, file and fly often even if it is severe clear.

John
Don't feel stupid for filing for a 55 mile flight. OTOH, if you file for an entire poker run, never expect to be cleared direct again! :)

Don't feel stupid for filing for a 55 mile flight. OTOH, if you file for an entire poker run, never expect to be cleared direct again! :)

Thanks again for the rules, etc. We had a good time. I couldn't have filed for the poker run anyways, as it was on 6/6 and I didn't get my rating until 6/17. :wink2:

John

Back