Passed CFI-S Checkride

vdehart

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
vdehart
Howdy folks,

Any tips for a fledgling CFI who just passed his CFI-Sport airplane single engine land checkride? I'll be taking on a few students shortly, and would love some advice from the flight instructors on this board. Any important lessons that you would have for a new flight instructor? Invaluable advice? I'm open to anything and everything.

A little background on myself: I am a student of general aviation. I am not interested in moving up to the airlines (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it just doesn't interest me). I honestly just look forward to teaching as a passion and being the best flight instructor I can while running my businesses as a primary source of income. I'd eventually like to open or acquire a flight school in the local area that focuses on light sport aviation. I'd eventually also like to purchase an Airplane Factory Sling and an Evektor SportStar to teach and rent. I learned to fly in Piper and Cessna and more recently transitioned into light sport aircraft. I'll be teaching in The Airplane Factory Sling S-LSA.

Thank you :)!

Last edited:
Well, I'm behind the game about a CFI sport, but obviously it's a check ride so congratulations are in order!!

Congrats. now go find some sport students and go to work.

One of the things I have to continually work on as an instructor is letting pilots make errors. If I correct anything as soon as it comes up, I'm not allowing the student to a) recognize the error himself, or b) come up with the solution himself.

Obviously there's only so far you can let things develop in an airplane, but identifying the point where you need to point it the error so the student can make the correction or take control yourself to save the situation involves significant amounts of both art and science...and the proper place for one student may not be the proper place for another, so it's also a moving target.:yes:

Good luck, have fun, fly safe, and congrats!

Always challenge yourself to learn new things, as well as keeping sharp on the things you have learned already. It's embarrassing when a student asks you a question and you can't remember how to explain it...

One of the things I have to continually work on as an instructor is letting pilots make errors. If I correct anything as soon as it comes up, I'm not allowing the student to a) recognize the error himself, or b) come up with the solution himself.

Obviously there's only so far you can let things develop in an airplane, but identifying the point where you need to point it the error so the student can make the correction or take control yourself to save the situation involves significant amounts of both art and science...and the proper place for one student may not be the proper place for another, so it's also a moving target.:yes:

I do the same.

For most ab initio students, the CFI can recover from the point the student can no longer recover.

The most competent CFIs do the least amount of time with their hand or feet on the controls.

It is something that you discover over time. With about 500TT of Dual Given, so far, I tend to let stuff snowball now. Sometimes you'll discover you let something go to far and that will help you find your personal limit.

I tend to not touch or say anything until A) We're about to get hurt b) We're about to bounce off the runway C) Student has completely locked up. Also, if I start thinking that this might hurt I'll take over. :yes:

You'll also discover that the airframe can take A LOT of abuse. I've had landings with students that were so hard we flexed the wings like a bird. :hairraise: You'll also have some landings were your legitimately surprised something didn't break.

Keep in the back of your mind that students will TRY TO KILL YOU!! :rofl: They won't realize it until they're almost done training.

Congrats! It has it's fun moments that you'll look back and say "I'm Glad I did this!"

Back