Partnership

Update...All of you that said I was way low on the cost were right!

Got the quote from the radio shop. For a new GTN-650 installed, it's right at $14,600. But that's a not-to-exceed price that includes more than just the new box. Paraphrasing from the quote, it includes:

New "VOR/ILS" indicator (Garmin part #??) - the shop says they can force the old King unit to talk to the Garmin via RS-??? interface but it's 20+ years old and they don't recommend trying.

Replacing the avionics fan and ducting, which is also old and iffy.

Replacing the avionics master switch, wiring and circuit breaker. The guy that runs the shop doesn't like how it's wired now and wants to make everything right.

Removing and replacing a bunch of the interior, because the Garmin unit needs a higher spec of coaxial cable (RG-??) than the old KLN-94 has. And replacing the King antenna with the correct Garmin antenna, which isn't really a surprise. Also a new Nav antenna and cable for the Garmin since the King GPS didn't have Nav2 capability.

Cleaning up old wiring and connecting the GTN-650 to our audio panel.

A new filler plate for the panel that makes up the difference from removing the KLN94 and KY197.

Testing, certification, logbook entries, etc. Plus enabling the NEXRAD weather data which I think comes from XM(?). Anyway, we get 1 year of database and 1 year of weather with the purchase.

The shop is willing to sell the old KLN-94 and KY-197 for a 25% commission. He said to not expect much relief from either. More of a courtesy than anything, really. Maybe $1,000 or $1,500 for both off the bill.

So, on to the who should pay how much issue...

I told my partner that really anything more than about $4,500 was really a stretch for me. He said he knew that and offered $4,000 for me and the rest for him, with the understanding that anything that we got in excess of what we paid originally when we sold out would go to him to make up his excess contribution.

I told him that's not really fair to him, since we have been using up engine and prop life and that we should really account for that so he doesn't get gypped when we sell. So we're going to charge off engine/prop wear against the future sale at the same rate we pay now into our maintenace allowance which is $8.50/hr for engine and $2.00/hr for the prop.

So, we signed on the bottom line and our plane goes under the knife 9/13...which means I'll miss the fall color flyovers, but he'll have the LPV approach capability and the other features when the weather starts to go crappy in Oct/Nov., so that's cool.

Just to make sure he didn't get the upper hand, I made him promise to buy me new bifocals from the rack at CVS if I can't read the screen on the new wonderbox...

Glad it worked out. Based on your earlier posts I kinda' suspected you guys would figure out something.

Update...All of you that said I was way low on the cost were right!

Got the quote from the radio shop. For a new GTN-650 installed, it's right at $14,600. But that's a not-to-exceed price that includes more than just the new box. Paraphrasing from the quote, it includes:

New "VOR/ILS" indicator (Garmin part #??) - the shop says they can force the old King unit to talk to the Garmin via RS-??? interface but it's 20+ years old and they don't recommend trying.

Replacing the avionics fan and ducting, which is also old and iffy.

Replacing the avionics master switch, wiring and circuit breaker. The guy that runs the shop doesn't like how it's wired now and wants to make everything right.

Removing and replacing a bunch of the interior, because the Garmin unit needs a higher spec of coaxial cable (RG-??) than the old KLN-94 has. And replacing the King antenna with the correct Garmin antenna, which isn't really a surprise. Also a new Nav antenna and cable for the Garmin since the King GPS didn't have Nav2 capability.

Cleaning up old wiring and connecting the GTN-650 to our audio panel.

A new filler plate for the panel that makes up the difference from removing the KLN94 and KY197.

Testing, certification, logbook entries, etc. Plus enabling the NEXRAD weather data which I think comes from XM(?). Anyway, we get 1 year of database and 1 year of weather with the purchase.

The shop is willing to sell the old KLN-94 and KY-197 for a 25% commission. He said to not expect much relief from either. More of a courtesy than anything, really. Maybe $1,000 or $1,500 for both off the bill.

So, on to the who should pay how much issue...

I told my partner that really anything more than about $4,500 was really a stretch for me. He said he knew that and offered $4,000 for me and the rest for him, with the understanding that anything that we got in excess of what we paid originally when we sold out would go to him to make up his excess contribution.

I told him that's not really fair to him, since we have been using up engine and prop life and that we should really account for that so he doesn't get gypped when we sell. So we're going to charge off engine/prop wear against the future sale at the same rate we pay now into our maintenace allowance which is $8.50/hr for engine and $2.00/hr for the prop.

So, we signed on the bottom line and our plane goes under the knife 9/13...which means I'll miss the fall color flyovers, but he'll have the LPV approach capability and the other features when the weather starts to go crappy in Oct/Nov., so that's cool.

Just to make sure he didn't get the upper hand, I made him promise to buy me new bifocals from the rack at CVS if I can't read the screen on the new wonderbox...

Glad it worked out. Based on your earlier posts I kinda' suspected you guys would figure out something.

I think you were the first person to point out the value of a quality partnership. We may have our minor moments, but he always comes to my granddaughter's birthday party. So there you go...

I'd go for the GTN 750, it'll be better when all the ADS-B info comes into it. Also the bigger screen makes seeing and working the touch screen menus much easier and the map is much bigger making 'rubberband' routing and route monitoring much better. Screen real estate is everything on these units. I got the 430W because the G-500 already had 2 big screens and I didn't want to spend the extra on the 530w because I don't like the box architecture and I knew Garmin was going to come out with a new box that addressed my complaints, I just didn't know when and I wanted to get my panel up to date with a WAAS GPS. Hopefully I'll be getting the 750 for myself for Christmas.

BTW, I almost never fly IFR and I don't use all the features of what I have, but what I use I really like having and I like have the extra capability for when I may need it to save my ass. The less you fly IFR, the greater the chance the technology will save your ass doing it. In order for that to work out best though, you have to be comfortable using the equipment in your normal VFR flying because it's too complicated to fumble through, although the new GTN architecture goes a long way to simplifying it over the 430/530 architecture.

I'd go for the GTN 750, it'll be better when all the ADS-B info comes into it. Also the bigger screen makes seeing and working the touch screen menus much easier and the map is much bigger making 'rubberband' routing and route monitoring much better. Screen real estate is everything on these units. I got the 430W because the G-500 already had 2 big screens and I didn't want to spend the extra on the 530w because I don't like the box architecture and I knew Garmin was going to come out with a new box that addressed my complaints, I just didn't know when and I wanted to get my panel up to date with a WAAS GPS. Hopefully I'll be getting the 750 for myself for Christmas.

BTW, I almost never fly IFR and I don't use all the features of what I have, but what I use I really like having and I like have the extra capability for when I may need it to save my ass. The less you fly IFR, the greater the chance the technology will save your ass doing it. In order for that to work out best though, you have to be comfortable using the equipment in your normal VFR flying because it's too complicated to fumble through, although the new GTN architecture goes a long way to simplifying it over the 430/530 architecture.

Sorry, I have to plead ignorance. But the GTN-650 has the WAAS which lets my partner fly a bunch of approaches that he can't legally do now. And from what I understand, the GTN-650 can interface with a newer and better xpdr and do the traffic notification stuff in the future. More importantly, it can get the NEXRAD display which is important to him now and I can see where that would be useful to me to keep help keep my backside out of trouble.

I will be happy learning to know how to do the "NRST" button on the new box because that's as advanced as I want. I'm not a luddite, but there are things that the new box can do that I don't need and don't care to learn right now.

Sorry, I have to plead ignorance. But the GTN-650 has the WAAS which lets my partner fly a bunch of approaches that he can't legally do now. And from what I understand, the GTN-650 can interface with a newer and better xpdr and do the traffic notification stuff in the future. More importantly, it can get the NEXRAD display which is important to him now and I can see where that would be useful to me to keep help keep my backside out of trouble.

I will be happy learning to know how to do the "NRST" button on the new box because that's as advanced as I want. I'm not a luddite, but there are things that the new box can do that I don't need and don't care to learn right now.

It can do all that, however with the small screen size it is very tight and cluttered. Thing is whether you want or need to learn many of the features or not, you will by accident and eventuality in the normal course of usage, the new architecture is that simplified. You'll find it far simpler and much more intuitive to navigate than your current King box.

Back