Partial panel in glass cockpit

flying_John

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flying_Joe
One of the difficult in instrument training in six pack cockpit is partial panel approach, I believe.
Typically AI and DG are simulated to be fail as a result of vacuum system failure. Current ACS requires Loss of Primary Flight Instrument not specifically vacuum system.
In the glass cockpit, the primary display does not rely on vacuum. So failure is to simulate some electric problem on the Primary. So can you use stanby AI and map display for the heading?

There are a number of options, but the overall standard way of doing it is to simulate a PFD failure by dimming the PFD to zero (avionics manufacturers and the FAA are not fond of pulling breakers) and rely on whatever backups there are. Here, for example, is Garmin’s guide for the G1000Nxi.

That depends on what the glass is. G1000, it’s reversionary mode. When I asked a DPE about G5s, I was told they only fail the ADI. Loss of full nav capability is certainly a concern, but since the checkride and ACS task involve approaches, you really can’t do that unless you’re going to use an iPad to fly the approach.

Most creative one I’ve come across is a template for a G1000 PFD cover. I’ve used stickies from time to time. Once pulled breakers, but that was the aircraft owner’s choice, not mine.

BTW, “map display for heading” is a generally bad idea since on course depends on zoom level. In one of his AviationNewsTalk podcasts, Max Trescott describe a fatal approach accident which he speculated the pilot followed the magenta line into obstacles. It looked like the pilot was right on top of it but was actually beyond full scale deflection.

This is an extreme example, and one hopes it would be noticed even in an emergency, but the airplane in the pic is 2 miles right of course.
1710675183230.png

Last edited:
In the G1000 NXi, if you have a PFD failure in real life or simulated like midlifeflyer@ said, you'll have a reversionary mode, where the MFD now becomes your primary display and all of the PFD functions should be available (airspeed, attitude, VSI, altitude) etc. in addition to the standby gauges.

The map will not be fully visible, but you can enable a mini map for situational awareness and that should also transfer during reversionary mode.

When I did my instrument checkride last July we talked about different system failures during the oral. On the flight it was dim the G1000 PFD switch to reversionary mode and fly the approach using the MFD (which will make you kind of cross eyed after a while)

Thank you, all.
Students with G1000 still require to be prepared for old style partial panel using sicker cover.
Luckily they might just switch the screens in the exam.

Back