Part Two Needed?

By the way, if there are people who don't want to know who someone sleeps with, was I wrong to reveal my sexual preference by mentioning that I have an ex-wife recently?
Naw, that's only telling people who you are (presumably) not sleeping with. :rolleyes:

By the way, if there are people who don't want to know who someone sleeps with, was I wrong to reveal my sexual preference by mentioning that I have an ex-wife recently?

I don't think anyone cared since you mentioned in passing. Now, if you'd created four threads about being a "man with ex-wife activist" and needing everyone to accept you for being a "man with an ex-wife" and not accepting any jokes about it, while calling anyone who says, "dude, I don't care what your story is as long as you don't talk to my kids about it, and would you stop so we could we get back to flying" some choice insults...then we might care as much as the previous poster...

:D

And if he wanted to make a post about his wedding and share pictures, who cares? I may have some moral problems with the whole thing, but that doesn't mean they're not human beings. As long as the whole post wasn't about how awful straight people are, I don't see why he couldn't post his wedding pictures. It's a free country.

Last edited:
Curious why people keep bringing up the "my kids" thing? I've got a young kid and he's aware of the existence of gay marriage. And surely he's not traumatized by it.

Curious why people keep bringing up the "my kids" thing? I've got a young kid and he's aware of the existence of gay marriage. And surely he's not traumatized by it.

Some people prefer to shelter their kids a bit and not talk about stuff like that until they are pre-teens or so. It's parental choice and a lot of parents would prefer their young children to grow up a bit being children before they get involved in adult topics.

Some people prefer to shelter their kids a bit and not talk about stuff like that until they are pre-teens or so. It's parental choice and a lot of parents would prefer their young children to grow up a bit being children before they get involved in adult topics.
Honest question - why is gay marriage more of an adult topic than hetero marriage?

Mine aren’t either, but I also wouldn’t let them see PG-13 movies, either. There’s a difference between seeing real life and Hollywood’s portrayal of adult relationships and what’s more normal. Especially for parents where their kids are in environments outside of the home for significant amounts of time, it’s concerning for people with likely ulterior motives to be pushing kids into highly sexualized thoughts and discussions when they don’t yet have the maturity or moral grounding to make wise decisions on their own. It’s truly disturbing how many *adults* use sexually-charged terms and swear words for everyday life situations.

Honest question - why is gay marriage more of an adult topic than hetero marriage?
Honest question back - do we really want kids being sexually active when they aren’t really mature enough to be making long-term decisions? Kids in healthy families will have realistic intro to marriage thoughts regardless. Also, as stated before, “marriage” has a long-standing definition and it’s appropriation to use it differently for the sake of tax benefits and such.

Honest question back - do we really want kids being sexually active when they aren’t really mature enough to be making long-term decisions? Kids in healthy families will have realistic intro to marriage thoughts regardless. Also, as stated before, “marriage” has a long-standing definition and it’s appropriation to use it differently for the sake of tax benefits and such.
Not sure I understand the question

Pushing 6 year olds into discussions about adult sexuality. Is that really such a good thing?
I was able to explain the concept of marriage to my six year old without even using the word "sex"

I'll broach that topic in time but I don't think I'm ready for that conversation yet :confused:

My parents didn't talk about marriage and related issues with me and my siblings until we were early teens or so. We understood what marriage was from watching my parents live it, but we never needed more intimate information about it or related issues as children. We had more important things to learn, things that children need to learn before they move on to advanced topics.

It's like flying. You don't bring someone to the airport and say, "We'll have our first flight in a 787 today. Your controls." You bring them to a 172 or something similar, and say, "Here's how we preflight," and step them through learning to fly. In my opinion, it's the same with kids. Sometimes, that means saying, "We'll talk about that when you're a little older.", just like how everyone was telling the guy who wanted to take spin training before solo to wait until he had the basics down. It's easier for students and children alike to understand and comprehend things if the things they are learning are appropriate to their skill level.

I didn't see where anyone was advocating for kids to be sexually active.

I grew up in a religious household, attended religious schools, and at 14 was fooling around with religious girls. Nobody is waiting for "the talk" or a maturity score to be sexually active.

You can only control the information that they receive for so long. I can't even fathom what a monster I'd have been if I had access to Youtube as a kid. :D

I've read it a few times now in the last few days. I have no problem making "marriage" a religious term, and any taxation or government status can be a "domestic partnership". Everyone is happy then, right?

…I've read it a few times now in the last few days. I have no problem making "marriage" a religious term, and any taxation or government status can be a "domestic partnership". Everyone is happy then, right?
Can’t ever make everyone happy.

I grew up in a religious household, attended religious schools, and at 14 was fooling around with religious girls. Nobody is waiting for "the talk" or a maturity score to be sexually active.

You can only control the information that they receive for so long. I can't even fathom what a monster I'd have been if I had access to Youtube as a kid. :D

I've read it a few times now in the last few days. I have no problem making "marriage" a religious term, and any taxation or government status can be a "domestic partnership". Everyone is happy then, right?
Access to the internet is something that scares me too... I'm not THAT old but we didn't have ready access to everything all the time when I was a kid. I'm reminded of something Adam Corolla said, "When I was a kid we would walk miles to see a picture of a naked woman that someone drew in the dirt with a stick"

But on the marriage topic - I don't care what religious people do in their marriages. But why do their religions affect mine? My wife and I aren't members of any religion. Why do we lose our marriage title? What is the verb for that? Are we just "partnered"?

You can only control the information that they receive for so long.

True, but I'd like to at least get past third grade.

I have no problem making "marriage" a religious term, and any taxation or government status can be a "domestic partnership".

I think that's a good approach. The gov't shouldn't be involved in defining marriage at all, and religious considerations should be separated from things like tax benefits. Partnerships, LLCs, whatever, can handle the legal and property and tax stuff. Where it will get complicated (but still manageable) is how to handle offspring and things like custody issues.

Non-religious people have been allowed to get married for a very very long time. And they don't even have to get a preacher involved.

Access to the internet is something that scares me too... I'm not THAT old but we didn't have ready access to everything all the time when I was a kid. I'm reminded of something Adam Corolla said, "When I was a kid we would walk miles to see a picture of a naked woman that someone drew in the dirt with a stick"

But on the marriage topic - I don't care what religious people do in their marriages. But why do their religions affect mine? My wife and I aren't members of any religion. Why do we lose our marriage title? What is the verb for that? Are we just "partnered"?

Have (or don't have) whatever ceremony you like, call it marriage if you want. But "marriage" wouldn't have legal significance without a separate gov't action to establish a legal contract of some sort.

Just keep the two separate.

Have (or don't have) whatever ceremony you like, call it marriage if you want. But "marriage" wouldn't have legal significance without a separate gov't action to establish a legal contract of some sort.

Like you said though, that complicates matters like custody, joint ownership of assets, etc.
I'm not an attorney though so I'm not aware of all possible connotations involved.

I actually would have liked the IRS to not be aware of our marriage though, because we got hit HARD afterwards :mad:
There's no tax benefit for two equal earners to marry, it turns out

Non-religious people have been allowed to get married for a very very long time. And they don't even have to get a preacher involved.

Yep. We did it. We've even use the term 'married' often in our non-religious household. It never occurred to me that we were plagiarizing or misusing the term. :D

I sort of like the term Partner better anyway. All of my ... partner...'s british cousins use it and it feels ... neutral? Like it's an unloaded word without any drama associated therewith. I just haven't adopted it fully yet, being raised with the whole husband/wife appellations. :D

I actually would have liked the IRS to not be aware of our marriage though, because we got hit HARD afterwards :mad:
There's no tax benefit for two equal earners to marry, it turns out

Would it work better to file separately?

Would it work better to file separately?
I tried that - you still have to enter your spouse's income either way.
As young professionals with respectable incomes post-college, it wasn't pleasant to see the new tax bracket that we'd been bumped up into all of a sudden.

Edit - I'm researching this now and maybe this rule is different than it was a decade ago? I know a lot of changes have been made to the code in the last couple of administrations. Any tax experts around?

Oh, man. It looks like these rules changed a few years back:
"New US tax code passed into law in 2017 codified new marginal tax rates and brackets for those filing as single or as married filing jointly, among many other changes. Those new tax brackets substantially eliminated much of the "marriage penalty" discussed below."

Why?

Yeah, this thread has taken a turn that will get it locked. But..... oh never mind. If you have young kids make sure you know what's going on at your school. And keep an eye on what's available at the youth section of the library, both IRL and online, you might get an eyeful. Glad my kids are adults now.

I'm surprised it's lasted this long, as it has tipped into the very edge of allowed topics, but I guess everyone has been really good at keeping their flamethrowers disarmed so far. Watch me jinx it. :goofy:

I'm surprised it's lasted this long, as it has tipped into the very edge of allowed topics, but I guess everyone has been really good at keeping their flamethrowers disarmed so far. Watch me jinx it. :goofy:
Haha. Everyone needs to get out and go fly this weekend! Of course, I probably won't fly until Tuesday or so... but hey.

Haha. Everyone needs to get out and go fly this weekend! Of course, I probably won't fly until Tuesday or so... but hey.

Ha, I'm putting a "luxury vinyl plank" floor in.... about 1,300 sq ft. No flying for me this weekend.

Back