Part 61 MEI’s with a plane

AndyMac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andy
Here in Michigan, I’m told there are basically two, and I’m told they both basically have negative reputations. (Have not verified these claims, though they came from a trustworthy source.)

Why aren’t there more? Can it be done well? Is this a market opportunity or an indication that there is no market demand for such?

I’m playing with the idea of buying an Apache or Aztec for primary use as a training ship for a local group of MEIs. Will it ever get rented?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this a market opportunity or an indication that there is no market demand for such?

Maybe the former. Maybe the latter. Maybe neither. Not familiar with your region, so I couldn't say, but generally speaking from my experience in airman certification... probably the latter.

It's a specialized market which tends to cater to career-track pilots. Plenty of flight schools out there don't even operate a light twin. Maybe every 10th checkride I do is in a light twin. If I didn't administer practical tests for fast-track career training providers it'd probably be one in 30 or 40.

Except for the big-city markets, it's a tough go, just ends up too expensive for anyone to keep and maintain a twin for the limited annual training hours. If you try to extrapolate from Ryan F.'s (absolute best-case) statistics of 10% multi-engine rate, look at how many training hours go on in the singles in your area, per year, then divide by 10 (very crude estimate, I know). So, let's say your training twin might move 150 hours a year (That would probably be an overestimated high total), divide insurance, maintenance, hangar, annual or 100-hour, you'll get a pretty high hourly fixed-cost number. Not saying it can't be done, but........
Much better scenario if you were the MEI, and wanted to buy a light twin for yourself anyway, then instruction might help supplement your costs.

Being done near me.

Join the FB group North Texas Aviators and look for a fellow named David Stallsmith.

And if you ask around whether people would rent/train in a twin, I’d go with 10% of the number of positive responses as pretty high if an airplane actually shows up for them to rent.

Did mine with Tom over in TC. It's an old noisy airplane, but did the job well as a trainer. I have no qualms recommending people to work with Tom.

I’m playing with the idea of buying an Apache or Aztec for primary use as a training ship for a local group of MEIs. Will it ever get rented?
Where abouts in MI? Would you be interested in bartering A&P time in exchange for use of the plane?

Where abouts in MI? Would you be interested in bartering A&P time in exchange for use of the plane?

I’ve sent you a DM. Interesting idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back