Part 23 Maintenance

N444MD

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Man's mind and spirit grow with the space in which they are allowed to operate. — Krafft A. Ehricke
Of the single engine reciprocating aircraft manufactured during the past 15 years, which (in order of least to most difficult) are the easiest to maintain as it relates component accessibility (on the airframe), parts availability and cost, specialized tools required and any factory-directed training available ? All perspectives appreciated.

Although not a part 23 aircraft I'd say that a C-172 is the easiest.

I don't have any experience with anything newly certified....so I'll let the experts talk to that.

I'd say the cub and super cub clones, citabrias, Maules, husky.

That's about all I got, not much new stuff really draws my attention.

The shop where I've spent most of my time does mostly 100 hr maintenance on legacy 172s, DA20s and the occasional LSA.
Anyone with a perspective on say newer DA40s vs the Piper Arrow vs say SR-22s ?

You're gonna use basic tools with the traditional Lycoming and TCM engine cylinder wrenches. The shop should have all the odd expensive stuff for their employees.

You're gonna use basic tools with the traditional Lycoming and TCM engine cylinder wrenches. The shop should have all the odd expensive stuff for their employees.
odd expensive stuff = ?

It's my intention to acquire the "odd expensive stuff" as well as the common tooling for the airframes on which I'll be maintaining initially. The plan to is start my own business. Based on what I've been able to gather Diamond has a good program. Will probably go to London, ON to visit within the next month or so ...

It's my intention to acquire the "odd expensive stuff" as well as the common tooling for the airframes on which I'll be maintaining initially. The plan to is start my own business. Based on what I've been able to gather Diamond has a good program. Will probably go to London, ON to visit within the next month or so ...

If you're going to work on Diamonds then yes, you'll need lots of "odd expensive stuff"

If you're going to work on Diamonds then yes, you'll need lots of "odd expensive stuff"

Excellent, would you be able to list a few of the tools ?
Will be talking to the factory re training and tools/parts availability and pricing.
Thanks.

Back