Part 141 lesson order

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Sebastian, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Sebastian

Sebastian Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    rasbes321
    Hey guys, I’m wondering if it is legal to do one or two flight lessons for a part 141 ppl course out of order? The syllabus specifies each flight and what should be done, but could I do say flight 1,2,3,4,6,5,7? Of course all lessons will still be completed, but does the faa mandate that they be done in exact order? If so, can you provide the FAR or faa document where I can read about it. Thanks!

2. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    What would you ultimately be accomplishing by doing this?

In a Part 141 curriculum, you may only move on to the next lesson after you've finished the current one, and you can't complete any lessons out of order.

3. Sebastian

Sebastian Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    rasbes321
    It would be for say completing a dual lesson before an unrelated solo when the syllabus says solo first if the instructor has limited availability and you might not get to fly for awhile if you don’t do the dual when he’s available. Just a thought I had, thanks!

4. bobmrg

bobmrg En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bob Gardner
    Read Part 141 at www.faa.gov. Very dry reading and it may put you to sleep, but it is the regulation that the school must follow.

denverpilot likes this.
  5. Wheels

Wheels Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Wheels
    Generally the Chief Instructor can give permission to do lessons out of order as long as they are in the same stage.

Each syllabus will have several pages at the beginning that explains exactly what is required to complete the syllabus. The school I taught at had the following sentence in every approved syllabus:

“Within each stage, lesson sequences may be adjusted as necessary to facilitate training continuity. This is permitted as long as training objectives are not compromised.”

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    denverpilot likes this.
  6. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    QUOTE="Ryanb, post: 2787588, member: 7725"]What would you ultimately be accomplishing by doing this?

In a Part 141 curriculum, you may only move on to the next lesson after you've finished the current one, and you can't complete any lessons out of order.[/QUOTE]

Generally, the Chief Flight Instructor may issue a written approval for specific order changes. An example of when this might be beneficial is weather related. It is spring and normally vert turbulent. A smooth low wind day presents for short and soft field TO and LND. Night lessons can be delayed to allow DST to end.

7. Ryanb

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    The key word is ‘may’. All depends on the specific flight school and their policies.

8. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    Rather sure the statement prefaced with “Generally” covered that.

9. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    I hope that isn't true. When I worked in a 141 school I'd have starved (ok, starved more) of that were the case. If the syllabus called for stalls, but the ceiling was 1200 feet, I'd teach ground reference maneuvers. Or, I'd do instrument training in the GAT sim. Just because there's a syllabus doesn't mean it should be cast in concrete. There's plenty for a newcomer to learn without violating the tenets laid out in the Instructor's Handbook about "building blocks" of instruction.

10. Ryanb

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    As I said, it depends on the school.

11. Wheels

Display Name:

Display name:
    Wheels
    Actually before being corrected you said:

12. Ryanb

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    And? I didn’t claim to speak for every school and program out there.

13. Wheels

Display Name:

Display name:
    Wheels
    Ok, I missed the part where you qualified that answer to relating to the 141 curriculum that you have experience with. Your statement read like it was true of all 141 curricula.

14. Ryanb

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    I scoured a 141 before I began flight training and didn’t like how structured and regimented it was, so I ultimately went with a local 61 school due to their flexibility in the training syllabus. Pro’s and Con’s to each, however.